Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Never made an edible: this math doesn't seem right to me

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by wendellab, Apr 25, 2016.

1. So I'm relatively new to herb. I want to make some edibles with the 1/8 I bought (I don't like smoking).

It's Durban's poison, which is according to Leafly is about 20%THC.

Since 1/8 is 3.5 grams, the entire thing has 700 mg of THC - 20% of 3.5 grams.

I read that 5mg is one serving size of THC. So that means 1/8 has 140 servings, since there are 700 mg of THC in the whole thing.

This sounds crazy to me. If I make some cannabutter I'll only be able to have the tiniest bits of butter, since 1/8 translates to one stick, which has 140 servings.

Where is this calculation wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm in the process of making some edibles/tincture as well.
    The THC advertised content is largely marketing spin, I'll never trust it totally. First of all we are talking about a plant, which is not homogeneous, that means the THC content is not distributed evenly on the flowers. Realistically, I would only expect 60-70% of the advertised level.

Before making any edibles, it's best to decarb ( heating the Herb to certain temperature to convert THCa to THC), then grind it before the cannabutter process. You might find the below article useful:
    Decarboxylating Cannabis to Activate THC

• Like Like x 1
  3. I know to decarboxylate it.

But the issue I have here is that even then, at 60% of the estimated (so 12%) it comes out to 84 servings for a single stick of butter.

4. [​IMG]
    160 micron dry ice kief-hash from bud.. following Badkats basic recipe
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    5 grams hash (decarbed 40 min @ 220-240 deg F
    2.5 teaspoons coconut oil (additional oils are optional and may extend the duration as they are slower to be absorbed)
    1/2 teaspoon soy lecithin.. Liquid, powder, granules
    Heat covered @ 220 for 20 minutes then freeze..
    2 or 3 more heat and freeze cycles will both soften the granular texture and further breakup the Trichome heads as well as changing the profile to more a sleep aid..

[​IMG]
    I get roughly 30 size (0) caps from this.. 1 cap is enough to keep most people well toasted for 4 to 8 hours depending on the person.. I've been on them for about a year and can take 4 at once.. That would have most people down on their knees puking with the spins for that long..
    Works out to 166mg per cap but that's only the hash content per cap..
    Can figure a 10% recovery using dry ice so play with the math but even if you use all the bud.. Powdered and decarbed.. Using just enough oil-butter-fat to mix into a thick paste when warm and adding the lecithin as the power booster it'll only be a 10th as strong as the ones I make..
    Same table spoon of finished canna oil can be used in many cooked dished just remember that's 30 doses.. My strength..
    Just to many variables to figure.. Make it as strong as you can is my advice and test in small amounts to find your happy place.. Measure your oil and weigh your weed so your making the same strength batches each time.. That way your dosing won't be to far off between rounds..
    I've become a total convert and don't smoke a fraction of what I used to..
    [​IMG]
    I like capping it as food is just to easy to eat a brownie to many.. At this potency to much means hours of misery..
    Hope that Helps
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  5. #6 lessthanjeezy, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    This sounds crazy to me. For me to get a ok high off an edible I need a minimum of 40 mg, 100 mg to get a good high, or 100 mg of a liquid edible to really get me blasted... Edible tolerances are different for everyone but I have never heard of someone getting a decent high off 5 mg

6. What this man said...I've even had cookies/brownies with 200-300mg.

7. Laying on the couch paralyzed but fully awake haha yep you can go overboard with edibles quick

----------------------------------
    there's certain accidents where you may be drunk and on drugs.
    but it's going to happen weather you are or your not
    -Ricky

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laying on the couch paralyzed but fully awake haha yep you can go overboard with edibles quick

----------------------------------
    there's certain accidents where you may be drunk and on drugs.
    but it's going to happen weather you are or your not
    -Ricky

9. I should add that I smoked half a joint after drinking beer and basically had a panic attack.

I have very, very low tolerance.

10. The THC ratings on leafly and such don't mean a thing. That's just a best case scenario, highest it has been tested at. It could be well under that %. Who knows

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don't confuse yourself with mg's, base your edibles off plant weight. You'll never extract 100% of the THC from your plant material, and will extract much less depending on your method. Stick with using a half gram flower weight per serving, which will give you good, reliable results, without sending anybody overboard if they eat a whole serving.

12. Wendellab is comfortable with numbers, and if making edibles regularly using different forms of cannabis, it's useful to have a general idea of the dose. Not that you have to do the simple math to calculate the THC content....

Like GroBox, I've found that it's easiest to make edibles consistently from batch to batch using kief. I make 120 micron dry ice shake from either trim or bud and use the same 2 grams of kief in my sugar-heavy edible of choice (gummy bears). By making roughly the same size and number of gummies, I continue to see consistent results. Each of three medical users eating these gummies uses a different dose, and each knows that if the gummy is cut in half/thirds, he will have a predictable response.

13. It is very much a tolerance issue, and it's not just tolerance to THC(A). It's something more chemically significant than that; I can't explain (because I don't know).

But here is my anecdotal information.

I vape once every day, every other day and/or once at night. So, it is relatively infrequent, and it's a very small amount (measured at about 1/8th teaspoon - I don't have a scale). That usually gets me from about 8am-2/3pm and after that I'm still feeling rather chill. Again, not a lot, but during this I am completely functional (exception, first 15-30mins). The only note-worthy thing is I only buy top-shelf.

Okay, on to edibles...

I have tried honey, very high dose chocolates (two brands), one medium dose chocolate (different from the other two), gummies, and a few hard candies. Everything has been from a different brand. I am in California, access to a wide variety of medicine.

What I can say is that the same measured mg dose is a completely different feeling and quantity required in every type of edible I have consumed. I have found the only consistent dosage has come through one brand of chocolate (Punch Edibles) which is a 225mg small bar. I can manage about 15mg, but 30mg has me lying down wishing I only ate 15mg. On the flip side I can easily eat 30mg of gummies and about 50-60mg of honey until I have the same effect.

For me there is a distinct thresh hold where it does not do anything at all, and that's about <15mg in chocolate and <25mg in gummies and wildly variable in honey (<20-40mg).

Quite honestly, I prefer vaping because it is so much easier to dose!

14. Yeah I have definitely started to notice different types of edibles get me high on very different amounts...Gummies for me I need around 50 mg to have some decent feeling, 100 if I want to feel really good. Liquids like Iced Tea I probably only need 50 mg but have drank the 100 mg each time...and the other day ate some medicated cheez its (which were pretty amazing by the way) but that bag wasn't marked with how many mg, but me and my girl were blasted after splitting a bag haha

15. Not sure I would eat medicated cheese ... sounds odd ... maybe in a charcuterie plate.

16. Well it wasn't medicated Cheese, it was basically Cheez It Crackers that were coated in cannabutter or cannaoil, not really sure but they were pretty tasty and worked really well

17. Ah, doesn't sound as bad then

18. Just make your butter and test on yourself? If 5mg doesn't get you where you wanna be, try 10mg (now you'd have 70doses), if not try 15mg or 20mg etc.

Lose Your Fear and Free Your Soul or The Mysteries Of Life You'll Truly Never Know