NEVER buy weed off Craigslist The most convincing scam ever

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by GreyLion, Sep 30, 2015.

1. never pre-pay unless its your close buddy.

2. My uncle bought weed off craigslist before in CO. from 2 separate people.Both times he went to the guys house and "Donated" Cash money for a bag of weed weighing approximately a half ounce. No bullshit and the one guy even gave him a couple edibles for free.

Moneygram, , ETC... Is the shit scammers like to use. Be extra cautious whenever this bullshit is involved with anything.

Op, ive been scammed $300 before from an extremely good scam i was shooken up because that was/is a good bit of cash that i wish i hadn't lost. What made me feel better was reading this story about this women who lost $20,000 to a scam before.

3. I got scammed for $250- took a chance on one of those posts that advertises great deals on cannabis. I had enough sense not to give them more money when they gave me some BS about switching delivery carriers. Of course I would get the first money back after I paid more. I cut my losses at that point. I'm in an backwards state with no MMP or decriminalization, much less legalization. DC is just a three hour drive. I'd like to work out something with someone there.

4. #24 101 BIG TEX 101, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
    money gram?! duh- pay in persoN W/ $$$ in a parking lot (think QT)

u wanted a 1/2 by moneygram?

i'm sorry....but that's idiotic to me. i'm in dallas and i get on CL and come hOme with an 1/8th of dank in a couple hrs. i don't buy 1/2's till i made a few reliable pick ups

sorry 4 ya LOSS

[​IMG]

5. #25 Creator002, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
    At least read the last paragraph.

Yeah, I scour Craigslist for hookups from time to time (northern Melbourne is "too good" of an area for reliable dealers, and I got my first hookup from CL) and you notice the scams fast.

Moneygram and are the #1 scamming payment transfer services.
    I got a guy once (his Wickr is delivery420, so if anyone sees it, they know) and he said he'd do a half oz for me. Exactly the same. He said he'd drop it off in my mailbox or whatever (I made it another place) and he told me to do Moneygram. I researched it, found out it was like and said "nah I'm sketched, forget it."
    Well, holy shit, did he start pushing and being all nice. Then he said I can do it online with and I just said "ha, as if, you piece of shit."
    He had an ad up next day (with a picture of weed I've seen elsewhere online) with an added line to his ad: "100% legit not scam."
    These are my guidelines that I follow:
    Only use Wickr for conversing.
    Face to face meets only.
    Don't buy more than a half first go.
    Never meet too close to home.
    No names.
    If you sketch me out in a Wickr convo, the deal is basically off and I delete the account.
    Arrive 30 mins early to the meet to check for cops setting up or people planning to ambush and rob me.
    Change meeting spot slightly (next street over/aroInd a corner) around 20 minutes before they get there and see if anyone in the vicinity moves there and if so, or if they get irate on Wickr, cancel the deal.
    To be honest, being in Australia makes identifying scams easier. If anyone is advertising a specific strain on CL or claims to sell all manner of drugs, I consider it fake. Delivery420 claimed to sell LSD, psylocybin mushrooms, ice, coke, and heroin on top of weed, so yeah.

EDIT - Out of interest, I decided to contact the scammer. I have a full transcript of what we wrote with additional comments from me. If anyone's interested, I could PM it or make another post to see what a scam could be like.

6. Can't trust anyone.

Enough said.

7. go use a different phone or get a texting app. Hit him back up tell him you need bud but you want to meet him in person first just to be safe and then beat his ass if he doesn't give you your money back.

8. Bad idea that. He will prolly end up giving him more money for weed he will never see!

9. I see this as more likely.

10. Bahah "100% legit".
    It's like someone getting you weed and saying "I'm not even making any money off of this".
    Yes. Yes, you are.

11. This guy was not a "normal scammer" "incredibly convincing" "sweet dreams" lmao. That there woulda set off alarms. Sweet dreams my ass. This is what you get for being stupid. And I'm not trying to be mean but dude you must have some extra cash to be gambling on sketch CL dealers with promise of photo. Why wouldn't he rip you off? Really.

12. This is a good idea but use a friend so he doesn't recognize you via web track or phone.

13. I'm sorry OP but if you were foolish enough to look for connect on CL then you kinda deserve this

14. Bought weed from craigslist 5-6 times, all good weed, no bullshit, all cheaper than dispensaries too.

15. Dude, really?

Paying someone you have never even met for a product they're going to "leave in your mailbox" didn't sound sketch to you? And then having to pay them again and trusting someone you have still never met to refund the money you already sent wasn't sounding alarm bells so loud they blew your ear drums out?

I'm sorry man but this wasn't a convincing scam, this was utter gullibility

• Like Like x 1
  16. You just gotta be smarter. You said you found the guy in the same area code as you so why would he tell you to use moneygram or to pay him? Couldn't you just meet up with him if he's that close to you? Also the first rule in buying weed is to NEVER pay without having/seeing the product in your hand. He saw an opportunity to rip you off twice and he did now you gotta live and learn from that. Also never give someone you don't know or never met your home address, especially someone from craigslist you never know what could happen. I've bought a couple of times from CL and have been ripped off once or twice but it was only a gram or less but now my current dealer is from there and he gives me good and cheap weed you just gotta look out for signs.

17. I met a dude online best connect I've ever had... Sometimes u lose but never buy something u don't see

18. Craigslist actually warns about this scam on their website

Avoiding Scams
    Deal locally, face-to-face -follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
    Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
    Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
    Never wire funds (e.g. ) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
    Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
    Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
    Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
    Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen-that amazing "deal" may not exist.
    Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.

• Like Like x 1
  19. First off Lion, let me tell you this thread is one of the most interesting threads I have seen on here in a minute.
    You should have never been so desperate to get weed, when he failed to deliver the first time that should have been a giant neon red flag. You are 18 your going to have to realize accept that there are people in this world with no sympathy, no emotion who are not going to give a shit about anything your going threw but will appear too. You fell for scam twice ,extremely gullible. Don't buy weed online its not worth the potential danger. Remember it's weed not crack you don't have to have it. You are better off asking around people on the street.

But don't get upset this will be a good learning experience and a good smack into the real world and if you can get out this anxious rut your in you may look back and think "Dame I that was stupid as fuck, but what a fucking dick."

20. Why go out of your way to purchase illegally when you can grow legally? [​IMG]