Networking and "Coming out" about cannabis.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by geneticengineer, Jul 8, 2010.

1. #1 geneticengineer, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
    I know in my area here in California I am always networking with other growers in my area to hang out and share interests and ideas, but it has always been hard to connect with them. It seems growing is such a covert thing even in places it is legal. It is justified for many reasons because of federal law but I wish more people could and would embrace this and share it with eachother.

I'm always grateful for forums like these for allowing us to connect because we can chat about something that is a lot like raising trophy-dogs, building custom cars, or producing that killer red wine that wins the awards.

I know I always loved cooking barbeque, sharing tomatos from the garden, or exchanging fishing stories with a neighbor I had growing up and he enjoyed it to.

Cannabis has been frowned upon by the so called "Babylonians" for so long now that I think people have bought it or are just plain scared. Theres nothing wrong being a smoker or a grower and people should be proud of it but our society makes this difficult.

The concept of "Coming out of the closet" comes to mind when I think of this. It is a term used to describe a persons disclosure of their sexual-orientation to people around them. It is a powerful concept as it involves risk and reward. There is a degree of danger because coming out can have both negative and positive consequences; the person must decide for themselves with much contemplation if it is the right thing.

The benefits of "Coming out" can be overwhelming...

No more shame or guilt.
    No more leading a double life and no more trying to hide or lie.
    A sense of empowerment, pride, and confidence about who you are.
    No more fear of being found out.
    Allows you to connect with others like you.
    More satisfaction and fuller life.

I can't wait until the day when people can just be straight and tell people like it is without fear. It might be me, but it seems like people have gotten more and more private and distrustful of eachother. Unity is so important and awhile ago I read a poem that gave me some inspiration:

"My Neighbor's Roses."

The roses red upon my neighbor's vine
    Are owned by him, but they are also mine.
    His was the cost, and his the labor, too,
    But mine as well as his the joy, their loveliness to view.

They bloom for me and are for me as fair
    As for the man who gives them all his care.
    Thus I am rich because a good man grew
    A rose-clad vine for all his neighbors' view.

I know from this that others plant for me,
    That what they own my joy may also be;
    So why be selfish when so much that's fine
    Is grown for me upon my neighbor's vine.

-Abraham L. Gruber \t\t\t\t\t\t

If enough people were open with Cannabis there would definetly be a revolution.

Attached Files:

2. dang cant believe no one has chimed in.

:devious:

3. I couldn't agree with you more and that is why I have come out of the closet, marijuanaly speaking of course, a long time ago. I am 30, have a great job, hot girlfriend, go to the gym, and play sports all while being a "pothead". The stigma that it makes you lazy, to me, is the biggest insult. IMO alcohol and prescription meds are ruining this country. I have had people preach to me about how bad pot is then go take a xanax and drink a bottle of wine. When I pulled a muscle in my back this winter shoveling snow I got 10 percocet and I did not take one. I actually traded them in to my dealer for weed. I couldn't believe I got a quarter for 8 percocet. I kept 2 just in case I hurt myself again.

I will always stick up for cannabis because I have seen it do a lot of good for a lot of people. I don't know if I have done this consciously but I don't know anyone that doesn't either smoke daily or has a joint on the weekend (including my parents). To me there is no better feeling then when I am with a group of strangers at a party and someone says "Man I wish I had some weed". Then like the Burger King "King" I present you with this. At that point I feel like a hero.

There is a new generation of smokers and they are energetic, active, smart, and hard working people. The same cannot be said for most pill poppers. SAY IT LOUD,,I'M HIGH AND I'M PROUD

4. ill second that

5. My "I completely agree with you x1000%" button just broke cause I pressed it repeatedly as I read your post.

I've come out of the marijuana closet, I say it proud that I smoke and that I'm still a functioning member of society (whatever that can really mean). I'm working two jobs, doing school and I have a great relationship w/ my family, friends and whatnot, ganja never hurt no one. It actually brought me out from behind my social wall and it wasn't till this past year that I feel comfortable, with myself. If that makes sense.

BASICALLY, I wish this beautiful plant wasn't looked down upon in our society. They have to realize all of the benefits that we can receive from it, and not only accept it but embrace it.

6. thats a breath of fresh air you guys. thanks a lot.

:wave:

7. I live in an area where the church dominates a lot of public perception. And as such anything un-conservative makes you a target. So although I love talking to people about growing, because it is such a unique and expansive hobby. I've learned that I can only talk to people that don't live directly around here and/or don't talk to people who do live around here.

Conservative rural people are f'in nuts when it comes to gossip. They will spy on you in order to get a tidbit of info on you, if it's even remotely of interest, and do their best to sink you, if your not following the flock.

So I can completely relate to what your saying about wishing it was possible to network more, but I'm also okay with being in the closet, because growing weed is a pretty personal thing for me, and I actually kinda enjoy that 'doing something bad' feeling.

8. Well after thirty years of me made to feel bad by a law that turns me into a criminal every day, i have to say Im sick of it. I live in the same bible belt situation and you are right about everything as in people wanting to sink you for just swimming up stream.

But then again this is KY and we are #3 on cannabis growing nationwide so many many people have seen and been around the farmers that grow these huge fields down her, they are scared of talking to anyone in fact will curse you for toking pot but go home and farm their fields of pot like nothing is wrong.

However I have found that when you start educating people about cannabis, throw in statements when people are bitching about marijuana like: "they should lock up all the potheads", I say, "well I would rather they not and instead make sure my daughter doesnt get raped or I dont get robed or shot by some guy over 10 bucks or hit by a drunk driver at 80mph"! Then they start to talk a bit more rationally and you can throw in facts and educate them without them realizing it. Like, "well I just dont want my kids to use pot", I say" well me too but I sure dont want them to lose all their loans for collage and spend years in jail because they did", then they pop off with yah, but its just not good for them and it worries me, Oh hell yah I say " but I worry about alcohol and tobacco more, I have seen so much about how bad they are, kids are binge drinking at parties and dieing but I have read how non toxic marijuana really is compared to them so I dont know?" That leads to "were did you see that", "online, type in marijuana is safer and read some, its full of all kinds of studies and facts I didn't know about marijuana" Then change the subject real quick, "oh well, hey hows that project going for Sam?"

Thats it, that simple they continue on not thinking I toke or like it, but they have some facts in their brain and will repeat that to others as facts that they know about. You know how people are, they hear something and pass it along like they themselves have researched it. SO education in a non-out of the closet way is possible and once you get that first step people will open up and see that their are so many things worse than pot they should worry about.

And thats the point, that they are fearful over nothing, its all lies and false info, we know this but we have to show them the same things we can see. We have to or we will never break the chains that hold cannabis consumers down, the discrimination that turns us into criminals. In reality we are parents, students, kids, aunts and uncles, grandmothers and fathers and we all are citizens that work hard to pay our taxes, hold down a job and keep our families fed. We are not criminals in any other part of our lives and we demand our right to choose a safer and less harmful plant to consume, Cannabis!

We all have to work any way we can to make legalizing happen, its the only way to ensure freedom for all cannabis consumers period! As for growing and talking about it that too will come with time, once we educate and gain more ground all will be better.

9. I don't think I can even describe how great it felt to tell my mom that I smoke weed. It was hugely nerve wracking because I already know that she is against it (purely based on the fact that it is illegal and I can go to jail for it). Morally she is OK with it, but doesn't agree with me smoking because of the dangers of the criminal justice system. Which I understand, she is a mother and she worries. But the weight that lifted off my shoulders when I said that, when I didn't have to hide as much and lie to her about it. I dunno, to me it really feels good to be honest with people. Today, the only people who I care whether or not know if I toke is my grandparents. The only reason for that is because they are really old, and really set in their ways, and had been very brainwashed throughout their lives because of Mr. Anslinger. I know that weed won't make me go crazy and kill people, or wait, I mean I know that weed won't make me lose my inhibitions to an unheard of level and go have sex with everything I can, or wait, I mean I know that weed won't make me try harder drugs (I did that when I used to drink heavily), or wait, I mean I know that weed won't turn me into a sloth who is useless to society.

Gotta understand that those are the lies that were told throughout the 20th century. That's all my grandparents knew of it, so for their own good, I don't want them to unnecessarily worry about me. As far as everyone else, if asked, I will be honest and say that I love mary jane. That I honestly get giddy and retarded when I have a new strain in my pipe that looks bomb. That's before I even try it. I get giddy and want to share that experience with people who I know can appreciate it, or people that I know haven't tried it before and could probably benefit from the experience.

I remember, when I sat down with my mom and told her. I didn't say "I smoke weed". I told here "I believe in weed. I believe in the healing properties of it, and the mind expanding properties of it. I think it's a crime that it's illegal." Explained how it enriched my life and actually made me a better person since I started smoking weed. More compassionate and empathetic.

Sorry I kinda rambled, but it really is amazing how good it feels to stop lying to my family about something that I see as a gift to mankind from mama nature.

10. I like to do simple things like wear my norml shirt to school or ask everyone I meet if they like marijuana. Spread mariJahna's love!

11. You just gotta come out of the closet. In a sense lol :hello:

[​IMG]

12. I want a button with the face of that poor child from Michigan on it, and I want a caption that reads, "ASK ME ABOUT MEDICAL CANNABIS". I want so desperately for the taboo of cannabis to be lifted so that every person can speak freely about it without the fear of being overheard by "the wrong kind". The government isn't going to set us free, and I am no longer waiting for them to do so. If I want that freedom, I have to take it back for myself.

DAMN THE MAN!! :mad:

13. just reading these great responses. thanks guys

14. I'm usually "hiding" over in the medical section, but I thought I'd chime in. When you get to the "facts and medical studies" part, click the "MMJ Studies" link in my sig for a nice little* collection of studies from reputable sources (well, mostly reputable- FOX news actually did a couple of pro-cannabis articles that I included in my list :p ).

And if anyone brings up the tired old "Think of the Children" argument, show them this!

Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality - Salem-News.Com

Unfortunately, I work in education and it would be my career if anyone know what else I do. So for me, best case scenario, is legalization this fall!

But the post office does not require return addresses on letters stuffed with medical study abstracts! ;) Doctors, petty politicians, the old arthritic lady down the street- get their addresses and EDUCATE them! Even if you are in a totally repressive state, you can educate others using my "Granny's List" and the US mail! :D

Granny :wave:

*Yep, 150 pages of MMJ links is "little" - the BIG version Of Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List" (420 pages of MMJ links) comes out early next month! Think about getting your copy- it's free- bottom of my sig. We've got lots of minds, and elections, to win this year!

15. thank you OP for this thread.

ill feel truly free the day i can be open and honest about my love for cannabis.

for now, i live in ohio and need to have a regular job, so im still hiding in the closet so to speak.

definitely looking forward to the day i dont have to hide anymore and i can just be me. i love that about gc - no hiding in the closet here!

16. I went through such shame that first year I smoked cannabis, to the point it was driving me to abuse substantially and was really affecting me negatively. I felt so bad cutting loose. It'd be midnight on a Friday and I'd feel like I should be working.

Took a 6 month t-break and worked on the shame and guilt and really opened my mind to the beauty of the green goddess. I love smoking cannabis. I love eating cannabis. I love talking about cannabis. I love everything cannabis. Reggae makes more sense. Pink Floyd has new meaning. Incense is far more appreciated.

Being able to discuss different strains, grow techniques, recipes, historical figures who consumed cannabis (carl sagan what what?) has been absolutely liberating. I still use discretion around my family but I'm slowly converting them one by one (it helps b/c my bro has lymphoma and a medical need [but he's in TX, ugh]).

17. my only hope is that you are not a follower.

18. Follower of?

19. agreed. i also feel a sense of satisfaction from everything cannabis. i use to drink heavily and it has nearly killed me. i am an alcoholic and if i touch so much as a drop of that poison i am off and running. cannabis has saved my life and allowed me to enjoy life with satisfaction. i have titrated my dosages over the years and discovered that less tends to be more. i space out my dosages and "get things done" just like anyone else.

20. I totally agree with you op. I also live in a area dominated by religion and the people here apply the same non-logic to marijuana that they do to their theory of a higher power - it doesn't matter how compelling the evidence is proving their theories to be impossible they'll walk away from every conversation chanting their mantra of "I must not question my beliefs".

We call ourselves an "intelligent" species but people don't use logic to make a lot of the decisions they make. They use "it feels right" and "it's supposed to be this way" and "it's obvious that this is right", when all logic would dictate that they are wrong and that they should change what they believe. But in the end their whole faith, their whole understanding of life and themselves is rooted in their one little chant - "I must not question my beliefs".