Net Pot Size

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Ponsrow, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Alright I've seen loads of people using the 5 or 6 inch net pots for their DWC buckets. Why would you opt for the larger ones over say a 3" net pot? Wouldn't the smaller net pot allow the roots to hit the water sooner and thus begin the growth spurt at an earlier time? Correct me if I'm wrong

2. I use the 6" strictly for stability once the plant gets larger. With the smaller ones, the plant has more of a chance to tip over. That's just my reasoning.

3. Yes, but do you want an unstable plant that might well break the net pot and injure the roots.6" is the way to go.

4. definitely 6 inches dude...i have one in a 2 inch and i am quickly seeing the error in this....hopefully i can move her to a 6 without doing too much damage...some will be inevitable....but it was my first bb go...

5. I have an idea for you. I would take and cut down one side of the 6" netpot from the top to bottom, then go across the bottom with the cut, but dont go up the other side. Then take and open up the side of the pot you cut and slip it right over your 2" pot with the plant in it. You might have to cutout the bottom a little more to get the roots through without too much damage. Then take some small zip ties and make a few "stitches" up the side to bring the cut back together and fill in the void with whatever growing media your using between the two pots. Just an idea! :wave:

6. Not a bad idea! I think i might just do that. I've got two in BB right now and the one on the right is golden, no tipping or falling over of any kind... however my lady on the left has fallen completely over, due to, you guessed it, small pot size. haha. aw well, live and learn. She is still thriving and is now perched on the side of the basket so there will be no more tipping from this one.

Thankfully I'm gunna be rockin a scrog, so once they get big and heavy some of the weight can be distributed on the screen.

7. sounds like a good idea...i was thinking of doing something of the sort if needed...i have been told if i believe the plant can support itself it should be fine in the 2 inch....i just will never make the mistake again of using them lol

8. Shit i used 3 inch because I read somewhere on here it makes no difference :mad:

I will have to hold my breath I guess.

9. Im using a 10 inch because thats what my system came with. I am 2 weeks in and I just saw my first root barely out the side. I dont recommend the 10 inch because you have to use much more hydroton, its heavier to pull out to check ph levels, and the roots take longer to show. Seems like the 6 inchers are the way to go.

10. I'll have to come to a complete conclusion once this run is all said and done. I don't wanna say 6" is the best when so far I've been having good results with the 3"... however my girls are only about 6" tall and 10" around. Things might change once I flip to 12/12 and they start packing on weight.

11. Im going to use a scrog + net to hopefully keep mine stable

12. this really depends on the system your using...

if you have a single BB with a 10 inch net pot... that could be a bad idea...

but if you have a bunch of BB's with ten inch pots connected together... it wouldn't really be a problem

consider adding a ball valve to the bottom of your BB to get samples from or adding a controller bucket...once your plant is full bloom its gonna be not only heavy to lift... but your stressing your plant lifting your plant each time... best just to let it sit there, well thats MO anyway

13. I do have a single bubble bucket. I bought a DWC kit so it actually has a drain valve at the bottom already. I will just have to either get a tube connected to it to get the samples or just get a brick or something to get it up a lil higher.

How do you suggest I add my adjustments then? Just take a large enough sample, add it to that and pour it through the rocks?

14. yeah... thats what rumple does

i added a grommet close to the top of my bucket to drop my solutions back into my bucket without taking the lid off... this also has two bends in it to stop light leaks