Nervous System in plants

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by MasterOG, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Sometimes i feel as if the world it self is alive, pretty great feeling...usually get it when im high but also sometimes sober. Like have you ever just looked at the trees and the grass and water in a stream and such things, how calmly the trees sway back and forth, the older ones look as if they possess some sort of universal wisdom. It's all so beautiful how Creation works, really it is :smoke:

2. #42 Mnemonicsmoke, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
    erm...so neurons don't use chemicals to create voltage differences and to bind to receptors?
    they are not chemical reactions?

Edit: Just so i'm clear I am not saying plants are conscious, if they are i'd be difficult to imagine what they would be conscious of without the proper sense organs and information processing organs

I was just thinking that your distinction really wasn't much of one..

3. arent emotions and feelings also reactions?

4. Yep, the vines feel stimulation and those cells grow slower than on the other side, causing it to wrap around whatever it was that touched the vines. Simple chemical reaction :smoke:

5. It reaches, though. I didn't say what it's touching. Vines grow little mini-vines from the main ones, which reach out and grab, not simply wrap. I think it has to do with the amount of light it's receiving on one side. I never said they can think; I said it knew it was there. To respond to stimuli is to know something, isn't it? Even if it can't think, and has no brain, and cannot store such information, didn't it reach out and grab the fence, anyway? It knew.

6. Yes they do. When I go bowlin' I sit criss-cross indian style hugging my Papaya tree, my legs wrapped around, and my arms wrapped around as im torching the bowl, then i hold the trunk with both of my hands and slowly exhale the Holy smoke up her spine... it tickles her... she loves it

:bongin:

7. actually, PLANTS created animals (including us) to spread around seeds more efficiently... thats really our only scientific purpose here.... everything else is secondary

8. It didn't reach out to anything in particular, it just reached out and something was there for it to grab on. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. It probably does have to do with light and hormones just like cannabis responds to light and positioning with hormones, but again that's all programmed and is just a basic chemical reaction that the plant has evolved to grow into its niche as well as possible. I have some passiflora cuttings that also have vines that wrap around things via the same chemical reaction I mentioned before, they're sittin in my closet reaching out to nothing at all. The one with the longest arms are reaching out to the wall the furthest away from it. Shouldn't it "know" to grow towards the wall that is a couple inches away, rather than a few feet away? It doesn't know anything, it grows according to its programming.

9. I'll ask you this...does an infrared camera know you're standing in front of it? Or is it simply responding to stimuli?

10. I was thinking about this the other day when I was looking at how trees grow around powerlines. How do they know?

11. no, there is absolutely no evolutionary reason for them to be intelligent. they don't make decisions. they don't move. they don't need a nervous system. for humans, emotions are useful. they influence our actions and help us survive. for a plant, there is no need for emotions.

12. sponges were the first animals. they weren't created by plants. they didn't move or eat plants so they didn't spread seeds.

13. A bit off topic, but op you should watch the movie the happening

I think you might enjoy it

14. Isnt it just about people killing themselves? lol

15. #55 Alrex, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Spoiler alert
    Yeah the plants do it or something

16. lol awwww fuck

17. I believe that's your schizophrenia.

18. Watch the Botany of Desire. Really awesome documentary. They talk about four different plants and their global influence on animals. Tulips, Apples, Potatoes, and Marijuana. Check it out, you'll dig :smoke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUKC8ovPzE]YouTube - ‪Botany of Desire (2009)‬‏[/ame]

Plants have used animals to spread themselves around the world. They make themselves attractive to us, whether it be through taste, color, or any other attribute. Think about bee pollination for example. Certain plants benefits from thousands of bees spreading their pollen around. This isn't just coincidence, (and yes there are some plants that spread their pollen by the wind) but there are entire species of plants that are specifically adapted for insects carriers. For the bee to think that he is in complete control of the situation, would be like humans thinking we are in absolute charge of the natural world.

19. well here we go on the are humans really consious arguement.

the end of that debate is the realization that nothing truely matters, and as such, everything is equally sacred. But humans need to eat plants and chop them down for buildings.

with great power comes great responsibility, so when we are super advanced we should protect things, but for now, plants are just plants

20. How exactly does appreciation of art and music help humans survive..? Or what good is depression going todo for a monkey trying to survive?