Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Negative Side Effects of Smoking

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Craig Benefield, May 10, 2010.

1. -overeating (YES)

-decreased sex drive (Hell no, wee makes it increase for me)

-loss of motivation (I get very motivated to smoke more and make things to smoke with - aside from that, I agree)

-general mental fog (the next morning, maybe)

-lack of enthusiasm (Nope - I am always enthused to burn one!)

-no dreams (This for me is sadly true)

-messes with my athletic coordination (not so much when stoned, but in the days afterward) (Agree)

-more reclusive (Yes, but only because I don't know if my neighbors smoke)

-dry skin/eyes (Not for me)

-general decrease of intelligence (Hang out with dumb people - that way you always seem smart!).

2. For me it's headaches and such. It only happens when I'm dry, which I am now, and it sucks because withdrawal symptoms are coming ): I can already feel em.

3. its easy to blame your short comings on something that you smoke. the real pot head is the one who no one knows is a pot head but, is high every time you see him.

handle your scandal.

4. occasional panic attacks

5. This^ :hello:

6. I think there are also a lot of people who are way too quick to blindly tout marijuana to be a complete, perfect wonder drug having absolutely no problems/side effects/or shortcomings. This is not true.

Marijuana can cause problems for some people. There are side effects that you must weigh against the benefits, and despite how everyone goes around saying marijuana has killed zero people, that's not entirely true.

No one has died from a marijuana overdose, but people have died from smoking pot due to its effects on the body/nervous system and underlying conditions/problems they had prior to smoking.

7. #27 chinny107, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
    If i smoke and go out into public i get paranoid that people can tell im high.
    I have memory loss all the time it will either be hazy or ill completely forget about something. But i was in a near death car wreck a year ago and i suffered some pretty radical head trauma so that could have a role to play with that also lol.
    When i comedown from my high i can be irritable and become a dick, but not always.
    best way to cure that is smoke more :D.
    I don't smoke all the time mainly because i don't have the money:mad:, but when i buy a bag i usually don't stop smoking till its gone. but when im dry ill crave it for a couple days then the craving will start to go away. But once that paycheck rolls around ill get more and its a repeated cycle.
    Just like everyone else i get the munchies but i try to watch how much i eat because ill end up eating a bunch and start to feel like shit so i usually only bring a drink around with me to cure cottonmouth.
    Overall i love my Ganja, and none of these side effects are enough to make me want to quit smoking :smoking:

8. overeating (i'm trying to lose weight)

loss of sex drive

short term memory loss (can't remember what i said like 2 minutes ago)

extreme laziness

lack of motivation (i dropped out of college, i have no job, and i don't give a fuck)

vivid dreams or nightmares which can be scary

i nap all the time after i'm high so my sleep schedule is wack

i can go out in public though when i'm high no one can tell unless i laugh a lot :p

9. -i cant sleep sometimes at nights when i havent had any bud in a while
    -loss of appetite sometimes (i would go almost a whole day without eating - i just forget)
    -loss of motivation
    -sometimes i feel like i cant collect my thoughts and sometimes my mind is just blank

10. hmm...

1. Money costs can add up.
    2. For me I either get motivated to do something, or lose some motivation - I'd say it's 50/50, half the time I get motivated (usually with a Sativa) and half the time I lose it. (Couch lock Indica)
    3. It's smoke so I bet there's a bit of lung damage. Not much.
    4. Can cause heart issues due to increased heart rate I'd assume.
    5. Short term memory loss.
    6. No dreams.
    7. Decreased performance for operation of motor vehicle. And also for school and work for me.

It's a meh to me though everything has bad side effects. If we look at Cannabis as a hobby, think about other hobbys such as maybe ATV or dirt bike riding. Those are probably more accepted by society yet can definitely kill you faster and easier than Cannabis ever would. If you use Cannabis safely and wisely (Don't drive on it, go to school/work, etc) Then I think it's really quite harmless, some people were saying there have been crashes related to being stoned but it's as easy as don't drive stoned. Plus there's a alot of fucking people who get into accidents sober. IMO - toking up and maybe getting some negative side effects out of it is BY FAR worth it.:smoking:

11. Idk why people's sex drive goes down:confused: I cant get him to go down most of the time. And i completely disagree that smoking if youre bored is a sign of addiction....it means youre bored and you have nothing better to do lol

12. sex drive goes down cuz they're lazy and just wanna sleep haha :bongin:

13. #33 HookedonPhonics, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    I think it all depends on how much you smoke, and how often:

For me, if i smoke daily from one day to the next and get pretty baked every day. Then i will have pretty shitty short term memory loss - but only concerning when i am high, when i'm down my memory seems fine, though everything seems a little surreal, and somewhat hazy - keep having to remind myself what i'm doing or what i am seeing is reality. But the first thing for me is the tiredness - it's fucking overpowering, just this total burnout where im just exausted as i come down. Saying that though, there have been occasions where i blaze, then wake up like a shot the next morning.

Also the lack of motivation thing - i don't get how people can say it helps them focus and helps them stay active because it seems to be the opposite with me, like if i get really baked i just fade off, i'l end up just drifting out of all conscious thought right in the middle of a conversation or reading something etc, and i have no motivation to leave this couch. I don't get how people can drive completely stoned because i would just forget what i was supposed to be doing and become fascinated by the thought of how space works or something...

So basically:
    Short term memory when i'm high
    Over-eating
    Somewhat hazy reality
    Tiredness
    Lack of motivation

but then Pro's:
    Heightened Senses
    Increased mental freedom
    Strengthened Imagination
    Overwhelming feeling of calm/mellow/relaxation
    Joyful attitude towards everything
    Loss of anxiety/worries/problems

So the pro's out weigh all cons imo.
    nothing you can't handle though and tackle with a few days of non-smoking.

14. my two are downfalls are munchies and smokers cough.

15. Despite all the various negative effects it may have on people. The positives outweigh it for sure.

For me:

It's not my short term memory which I seem to lose. It's my long term memory. I tend to hoard things to look at once and a while which bring my old memories back into my head.

Burning out, kinda sucks.

Definitely smoking ciggs and weed takes a toll on me. I need a vape and to quit smoking.

Eating too much, although I don't gain weight which is nice.

For me, this is nothing. I could care less. I Love Weed! I'm not even addicted, it's just a part of me and everyone I know's life.

I quit smoking at school and getting baked in the early day. Usually evenings and right before bed (I have severe insomnia). It makes me a happier person. I really enjoy the high.

I rarely smoke anymore, I used to sell weed and even before that I was permafried, but now I can make a gram last a week if I need to. When I run out it's no matter to me. I'm not addicted to it. I just prefer having it for when I sleep for the most part.

edit: ACTUALLY, the biggest problem I've always had is, anti-social. I run out of words when I'm super stoned and with a group. Then I get anxious when that happens. I tend to smoke very little in groups, I'd rather drink and smoke a small bowl.

16. The generic symptoms, such as social anxiety and mental fog.

It seems like everyone experiences those two at some point.

17. dude your dick has a gender? ahaha :smoking:

negative side effects for me have been:
    -memory loss (short term or long term, i cant remember :p)
    -overeating (tryna lose weight so not helping)
    -less money for other things, but hey its worth it.
    -tolerance, less intense highs but hey its life.
    -i suck at replying to text messages high.
    -people that know i smoke constantly asking: are you high? (other stereotypes for stoner or potheads, that shit really pisses me off)

now after all these cons, i gotta list the pros:
    -high til i die (or imprisoned aha)
    -enjoying the culture of weed is a big plus, theres so much interesting shit about marijuana in general: music about weed, movies about weed, the history, etc.
    -a friend with weed is a friend indeed (always making new friends)
    -memories where i smoked weed always seems to be a good memory.

but there's always gonna be pros and cons of everything, so smoke on :smoking:

18. i become a lot more introverted...not quite a bad thing, maybe for my friends :smoking:
    some anxiety when out in public..not because im freaking out about them knowing im stoned, just anxiety...i have it when im not stoned so its not an effect of smoking, it just is generally more nerve wracking when im stoned
    i dont have dreams either, unless im getting a lot of sleep (10 plus hours) oh and also if i go to bed baked as fuck, its definitely a lot harder for me to wake up in the morning
    i get headaches (migranes really)....but i honestly think it has something to do with the fire safe cigs...idk
    im a lot quieter

19. #39 wowee123, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    Negative effects
    -very very minor short term memory, weirdly i can memorize things better when I am high though. But I will forget to do things, mainly because I get distracted because everything becomes so interesting.
    -Smoking sucks when you got allergies because of coughing and pollen stuck in your fucking throat.
    -The worst one is that weed is so good that i cant come up with negative side effects damnit.

I do everything better when I am high, thats all I can really say. I get extremely motivated, increased sex drive, no real bad memory loss, and I become even more sociable.

Also I do agree that most negative side effects mentioned is not from weed but people just want to blame it on something. The only thing that i think is proven is short term memory loss, or from the things that occur because of it being illegal. Still people will deny this because they are uneducated on other things they do, such as drinking heavily and doing prescription meds can fuck up your mind. But they think its ok because its not illegal.

Self control is the key to smoking weed, if you have it you will fly high. :smoke:

EDIT: 1 more post till 420!

20. my only negatives are that i dont know what to do with myself when im blazed, and im prone to fall asleep veryy easilyyy