Negative effects of Cannabis? Brain cancer?

Discussion in 'General' started by iSmokePurps, Dec 26, 2013.

1. I'm pretty sure studies have shown that it is NOT dangerous to these things. Minor issues maybe, chronic abuse is probably not a good idea, but yeah. 

2. #4 Z42OM, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013

Nope

3. Shit, best way to get cancer IMO 😁Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #6 8ight, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
    Well, as for your first link... it really didn't say anything. I don't have access to the full report, but basically: 

"However, evidence is needed, and further research should be considered, to prove causal associations of marijuana with many physical health conditions."

TBH, unless you have access to the full article, that abstract is really not even worth discussing (also, I'm not sure where you got brain cancer from--that's not even in the abstract).

5. OP, why do you give us a link to the abstract of an article that concludes nothing but the fact that there needs to be more research done? It doesn't even mention brain cancer, what is the point of this thread?

• Like Like x 2
  6. #8 iSmokePurps, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
    [quote name="cothrantyson" post="19230189" timestamp="1388029699"]OP, why do you give us a link to the abstract of an article that concludes nothing but the fact that there needs to be more research done? It doesn't even mention brain cancer, what is the point of this thread?[/quote]
    OK so apparently the link completely fucked up.Anyway brain cancer mention is on Wkis list of effects and can be seen in many debates on the webhttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090615095940.htmMy point is I always see listed carcinogens in cannabis and it worries me. Obviously hydrocarbons and organic plant matter create carcinogens so why would it not cause lung cancer etc?

7. #9 8ight, Dec 31, 2013

From the very top of that article:

"...marijuana smoke damages the genetic material DNA in ways that could increase the risk of cancer."

A lot of things could increase the risk of getting cancer; that's not exactly damning evidence. But, I use a vaporizer anyway. :cool: So if you're worried, switch to vapor. Although I still don't feel threatened based on that article. As I said, it's not very damning evidence, but instead a loose comparisons to tobacco products based on what they've measured in marijuana smoke. Granted, I'm not familiar with much of what was stated in the article. They also never mentioned how much of an increase the risk for cancer is, which means it's not significant. Hell, drinking soda increases your risk of cancer, probably more so than smoking weed. 

• Like Like x 1
  8. #10 Al XE the Bud, Dec 31, 2013
    Smoke of most kinds contain carcinogens, so you could theoretically get cancer from cooking on a gas stove.
    These are 'studies' meant to defame cannabis for whatever reason, and the only thing the studies do show is that it isn't a good idea to inhale large quantities of smoke, which is a no-brainer to begin with. Additionally, cannabinoids, especially CBD are highly toxic to cancerous cells and kill them, so any cancer you might catch from marijuana smoke is effectively mitigated by the cannabinoids. Unless of course you smoke some terribly inferior weed with hardly any cannabinoids in it. Also, cannabis usually contains enough water to severely limit pyrolysis, which is the process that emits carcinogens when stuff is burnt.

It's assholes who post these studies that give simple science an arcane feel and spread misinformation. This is middle school chemistry, really.

EDIT: I just noticed the acetaldehyde reference. There are very trace amounts of this substance in marijuana smoke. Acetaldehyde, by the way, is a metabolite of Ethanol; a whole lot more is produced in the body from drinking a glass of wine than from smoking an entire ounce.

• Like Like x 4
  9. [quote name="Al XE the Bud" post="19257546" timestamp="1388473151"]Smoke of most kinds contain carcinogens, so you could theoretically get cancer from cooking on a gas stove.These are 'studies' meant to defame cannabis for whatever reason, and the only thing the studies do show is that it isn't a good idea to inhale large quantities of smoke, which is a no-brainer to begin with. Additionally, cannabinoids, especially CBD are highly toxic to cancerous cells and kill them, so any cancer you might catch from marijuana smoke is effectively mitigated by the cannabinoids. Unless of course you smoke some terribly inferior weed with hardly any cannabinoids in it. Also, cannabis usually contains enough water to severely limit pyrolysis, which is the process that emits carcinogens when stuff is burnt.It's assholes who post these studies that give simple science an arcane feel and spread misinformation. This is middle school chemistry, really.EDIT: I just noticed the acetaldehyde reference. There are very trace amounts of this substance in marijuana smoke. Acetaldehyde, by the way, is a metabolite of Ethanol; a whole lot more is produced in the body from drinking a glass of wine than from smoking an entire ounce.[/quote]
    Just found a link that talks about anti inflammatory and immune suppression properties of THC and how negates irritation of the lungs. Will post soon.