Neem oils no good

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Snake Chamber, Nov 20, 2014.

1. I've had a big problem with fungal gnats for a month now and my plants are definitely getting sick because of the little grubs. I've tried using neem oil spray which did absolutely nothing as well as diluting pure neem oil with water and watering with that every 2 days.

Ive ordered some econeem as a last resort which claims to kill them off even though some reviewers tend to disagree. Is there any other options out there that are safe to use indoors?

2. Neem cake mixed in soil. The oil sprays will work but u need to do several applications imo

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I used a litre of it over two weeks without results. Im using diluted pure neem oil right now overwatering my plants every few days with the solution to see if that gets rid of them.

4. I agree...never had any luck with the stuff....sadly, if there is an infestation already you must consider pyrethrin spray...but not if its close to harvest...in that case your best bet is ...well, there is no good alternative..the pyrethrin degrades in about 10 days but can be speeded up with spraying water on your flowers and leaves for a few days...but that in itself might give root to fungus...so, its a balancing game...best to keep the infestation from happening to start, (I know, I hate hearing that as well)

5. Thanks blood ill look into that.

6. #6 DazedAndStoned, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    Neem oil actually works great, IF you know how to use it. I've been gardening fruits a veggies for years and this stuff has never let me down, but in order for neem to work, you must understand HOW it works, and WHY. I've had total infestations taken out in as little as 3 treatments

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1329511-360W-Led-Stealth-Dresser-And-My-First-Grow#entry20774280

Please refer to post #210 for a short explanation of how it worls and how to PROPERLY use it. You can even mix in with the nutrients and the neem will both drown the pests, and then do its magic systematically with your plants

If for some reason it is not working, I have no idea how, because this shit I use will get rid of a colony is 3 treatments. Other things can safely be used but I've never needed anything else, I swear by this stuff

7. To add on slightly, your problem may be due to over watering, since that will just provide the larvae a perfect humid environment to hatch, and the neem may not be able to counter act in time before more hatch. Again, not too sure why because I am not you, and did not do the treatments myself, but I know when I do my treatments I will never have to worry about any of those ever even coming into my cabs, because when done properly any biting pest will not go near the stuff

8. \tDiatomaceous Earth (food grade)

9. #9 Grade A, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    Azamax and let your pots dry out! I got rid of fungus gnats in a week and a half after 2 applications

10. I use a multi faceted approach. I use sticky straps and gnat nix (looks like perlite, but is actually ground up glass that you cover the top of your soil with and it shreds their soft bodies), and spray emulsified neem oil with silicate as a foliar spray during veg and the first few weeks into flowering. The key with the neem oil is to get it to emulsify (melt/mix) so that the shit spreads right. I also use a wetting agent to help make sure I'm getting good coverage. I will also, from time to time use the neem mix as a root drench. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I use a protein shaker with a metal whisk ball and warm-hot water to get the neem to emulsify. I then pour it into my sprayer with colder water, the silicate and the wetting agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. Mix gnatrol with spinosad.

Theyll be gone in 3-5 days.

~ poke

13. Simple, old-fashioned, nontoxic method. Get some fine-grained, clean sand. Put an inch of sand on top of your soil. The gnats can't reach the soil to lay their eggs and any larvae that do hatch can't reach the soil to feed! No food, no gnats!

Granny

14. #14 Snake Chamber, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    yea man thats the best way I've found to get it mixed up well.

What page is the post you're refering to on dazed?

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I can't get rid of them now im going back to the dispensary.

15. will that end up causing aeration problems later on in the grow when the soil gets more compact? Right now I'm using two part organic soil/fertilizer mix one part perlite with bottle nutrients.

16. #16 DazedAndStoned, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
    Its post 210 so I think page 21 I am not sure though, its the last post on that page though. I use warm water with a drop of soap to ensure the oil mixes properly and shake like a bastard otherwise it just separates due to the oily substance, and its not effective like that, that could be a part of the problem as well.

I thought the link took you right to the post but my mobile app is acting up lol, probably linked to the thread and not the post :p

17. thanks. No id already read that thread so it took me straight back to where I was up to.

18. Still no good ive been using neem oil for over 3 weeks now and these gnats seem to be multiplying still. I started using eco-neem concentrate a couple of days ago so I'll see how she goes. But theres definitely a fuck tonne more of them then when I began using neem oil probably because its been getting warmer. But having watered them just now I could see at least 200 of the lava and worms come up to surface after drenching my soil with 4ml eco-neem 2ml nutrients 500ml water.

If anyones got any more solutions to kill these little bastards I'd appreciate them alot. Im almost ready to throw this grow out and start again.

19. I had a week of them lil buggers flying off my ladies last grow used sticky pad right on top of medium and one hanging nearby also a small mouth bottle with apple cider vineger works well theres also this little apple trap same concept small opening and liquid inside that smells like vinager i posted a pic yesterday in another thread for someone having the similar issue these work also rub medium around a bit bring any eggs or larva up to surface to dry out and let your pots top inch dry up a bit more in between waterings and thell die my issue was eradicated within days and havent seen any for at least a good 4 months fingers crossed those lil things drive ya nuts

Attached Files:

20. I used to have fungus gnats and thrips every grow, assumed they came in the soil. Since finding Monterey garden spray with spinosad, i'm insect free. I use it when the sprouts are 10 days old and spray 3 times, 5 days apart and they never come back. It's 100% organic (a bacteria discovered in a rum distillary, scientists noticed no flying insects), can be used late, very late in flower if needed. Takes care of spitermites too, i've read. I hate putting anything on my plants and this stuff is completely harmless!! Spray top and underneath leaves, stems soil top, all over and 3 times is necessary or you won't break the development cycle.