Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

neem as a soil drench

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by UpInTheHills, Jan 26, 2014.

1. hey just a question on using neem as a soil drench,iv got fungus gnats and root aphids,also spidermites,though the gnats in my soil are the only thing outta hand,iv started doing a foliar spray on the overall plant and a soil drench 3 days ago,iv read to do the foliar spray every 3 days for a couple of weeks then follow this up once a week as a preventative,but cant find anything on how often and a what dosage to do the soil drench and then as a preventative afterwards,i used 30ml-10 litres of water for the drench 3 days ago,any help wld b much appreciated

p.s I know there are many other products to get rid of pest problems but I want to stick with neem

2. are you an organic or chem grower? Neem in your soil will kill off your good microbes.

neem cake in your soil mix is okay though as it has a much slower release rate I think. someone else may want to chime in on that.

if your a chem grower and dont really care about your beneficials than go for it. I think i heard someone say the oil isnt good for roots either as it can starve them for oxygen/water.... once again, someone else should chime in on that too lol

3. [quote name="Jimmy Carter" post="19406338" timestamp="1390694252"]are you an organic or chem grower? Neem in your soil will kill off your good microbes.neem cake in your soil mix is okay though as it has a much slower release rate I think. someone else may want to chime in on that.if your a chem grower and dont really care about your beneficials than go for it. I think i heard someone say the oil isnt good for roots either as it can starve them for oxygen/water.... once again, someone else should chime in on that too lol[/quote]Correct on the neem cake, Richard dean in the norcal thread uses it in his mix and the results dont lie

4. An inch of course sand on top will take care of the gnats, cuts their wings off and keeps them from the larva.

5. I read that the neem does nothing to the beneficial bacteria,yrea im an organic grower and use worm castings and make ACT,are you 100% sure on that fact,yea I did read somewhere it starves your roots of oxygen but then also read that your cannabis plant loves neem?? very frustrating lol,read the soil drench is good because it kills pests in soil and the plant also takes it up which deters white flys,spidermites and aphids,a for the neem cake,can I apply it as a top dressing? my plants are already in their 10th week of veg so my soil is already well established,i mgt have to do the sand trick next grow,i don't have the room to add it because iv already got sugar cane mulch on top,was goin to add the sand at the start of my grow but read it had to be sterile n I didn't know where to buy it or trust whether the people knew who were selling it if it was or not,they mgt even be inclined to just say it is to get a buck out of me! lol but yea I applied the soil drench 3 days ago and the plants look fine?

6. your right about the neem hurting your beneficial microbes,it said that if applying neem as a soil drench to add ACT to repopulate,mgt just leave the soil drench and only add as a foliar spray from now,and maybe spray the top off my mulch with pyrethrum evey few days to warn off the gnats,what you recon?

7. #7 mmman, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    I've often wondered if landscape mesh, the kind that allows water through, would stop the gnats? And as far as the sand is concerned, you can sterilize it yourself by placing it in a large plastic container with lid laying on top, not snapped shut, but make sure it's pre-moistened, and nuke on high for at least 10/12 minutes for about 1/1.5 gallons, you'll see the sides and top condense with water. It will be very very hot, and sterile.

8. if you can, Isolate yours mothers and scrap the rest if your not gonna find the cause...gotta be a reason their there....if your in the middle of everything...get yourself some organic foggers and blast everything in the room....putting toxicities in your soil even if its neem oil...its gonna kill small roots and microbes...if your noticing leaf damage your further along in their life cycle and its a real pain getting rid of them....Hence scrap everything and bomb the rooms and adjacent at least...try to find cause...you have a cat,,,you dirty...bad soil...petting your dog and then going in your g room...could be from your ventilation....bad clones..if you got the cash buy several hundred beneficial mites after cleaning and if they die off..no more mites or eggs...

Knats and fungus...usually easy...just run dry cycle little longer and cover your pots so light dont hit soil...take a piece of duct tape and make a circle around your stalk on top of plate glue out...get rid of top 2" of soil right of the bat and replace...lower humidity...

9. Im growing outside bill,yea i looked online to buy some beneficial nematodes but iv spent way to much on this grow,e.g. Industrial air pump. Transducer,smart pots the list goes on. Good thing is i can use most stuff i bought for yrs to come. But yea think next season im just gunna incorporate neem cake into my soil,and the few inches of sterile sand on top,il prob put mulch on top of that,or wld that render the sand usesless?? did a goliar spray yesterday arvo n followed with the top mulch being drenched (sprayed) with pyrethum,also got an act (worm tea+mollasses) brewing atm which iv feed my plants tomorro afternoon to try restock the beneficial micro organisms

Thanks for the replys and inputs,very much appreciated ;)