Needs tips on first grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Austin28, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Hey i need some tips on my pot plant, i have it under cfls and its been flowering for a couple of weeks now. The stems on the fan leaves are reddish purple. I heard it was a deficiency or just maybe too cold for the plant. Ive never used any chemicals with the plant just straight water. Im not sure of the strain, because its just some bagseed. Any help or tips would be great, Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. What's up bud?? I'm gonna try and get some info so people here are better able to help you out. You said you had your plant under cfls, can you tell us more about those? Like the watts and temp and such? Are you able to take higher resolution photos at all by chance? It would definitely help out. A picture is literally worth a thousand words, and nothing can describe your setup like a ton of pictures can. What about your soil? And the ph of your water?

3. Hey man how's it going? Let me just start off, i'm a complete beginner using what i have, ya know? I'm using 60 watt cfls with 900 lumens per bulb. The temp isnt really known, i just keep the thermostat set to 70 F degrees, but the plant is in the basement, which could possibly be 65 F degrees. My soil is just regular miracle grow you would use for you flowers and such. I do not know the ph, never used chemicals at all, just straight water i let sit out over night before watering. Im really just going with what i got and see what happens ya know? How many cfls you think i should use for just the one plant? I will try to get better pictures up asap. Thanks

4. [quote name="Austin28" post="19249284" timestamp="1388348306"]Hey man how's it going? Let me just start off, i'm a complete beginner using what i have, ya know? I'm using 60 watt cfls with 900 lumens per bulb. The temp isnt really known, i just keep the thermostat set to 70 F degrees, but the plant is in the basement, which could possibly be 65 F degrees. My soil is just regular miracle grow you would use for you flowers and such. I do not know the ph, never used chemicals at all, just straight water i let sit out over night before watering. Im really just going with what i got and see what happens ya know? How many cfls you think i should use for just the one plant? I will try to get better pictures up asap. Thanks[/quote]Yeah man, I understand. Just wanted to give it a go and see what you could get right? Haha. That's how I started off. But then I realized that if I didn't really know what I was doing or using, I probably wouldn't get as good of a grow as I could. And yeah it's all for fun and kicks, but I knew that if I only knew more, I could get more. And reading information and learning isn't too hard haha. So it's a good thing you're here, learning! Another thing you will have to realize is that you're going to have to spend SOME money. Definitely not a large sum, but you can't start growin cannabis for free unless you just so happen to randomly have all of the necessary supplies. So first thing. Those light bulbs are unfortunately not the right wattage to have. For a single plant using cfls you're going to want to have at least 100-125 REAL watts of light. The lights you're using are 60 watt equivalent, but I think are like 13 real watts used? Idk how many bulbs you have set up, but even with 5 of those 13 watt bulbs you only have a little over half of the amount of light you need. The right bulbs you need are going to be twice as strong, try to find either 23 or 26 real watt equivalent bulbs. For a pack of four of those bulbs at wal mart it's about 10 bucks. Depending on brand and sale price and what not. And you'll probably have to get two packs. You may not use all 8 bulbs but you should use either 5 or 6. To get in between the 100-125 watt range. And don't think that more than 125 watts is bad either. Remember, at least 100-125, more is definitely not a bad thing. The temperature is a good thing to know to make sure it's not too cold, and you can pick up a cheap thermometer at wal mart for about 8 bucks. You can find the 8 dollar one that tells you temp and humidity so it's like a two for one. The ph of the water is actually reeeeeally important. If the ph of your water isn't right your plants will have issues with correctly absorbing the nutrients from the soil, and it'll suffer from deficiencies which can completely ruin the plant. Making all of the work you put into everything literally worth almost nothing.

5. Damn looks like im going up to walmart today. Thanks for all the info appreciate it, im gonna go up there now. I'll let u know what i get.

6. Growwithme has got it spot on,not much needs to be added to thatSent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. @[member="GrowWithMe"] Just got back from walmart, got a pack of 4 100w cfls, using 23w and 1600 lumens.

8. [quote name="Austin28" post="19250220" timestamp="1388360634"]@[member="GrowWithMe"] Just got back from walmart, got a pack of 4 100w cfls, using 23w and 1600 lumens.[/quote]Aw man dude there was something I needed to add onto that! Hopefully you still bought the right ones for flowering, I'm not sure if you knew about the temperature of the lights that you need to consider. You see when growing you have one set of lights for vegging the plant and another set for flowering. You mentioned that the plant has been flowering for a couple of weeks. How did you flip it into flowering? Did you change the light schedule to 12/12? To have the plant flower your light schedule needs to change and your lights themselves need to change in temperature. If you don't know what I mean it's cool, I can explain if you need.

9. I started them off out side in the summer, and the pistils shot out stigmas, its started to get cold so i brought it inside with a 12/12 schedule ever since.

10. That's good, I don't know too much about outside growing though, but the switch is fine. Check what temp your bulbs are. 2700k are the ones you need for flowering.

11. Yepp they are 120 volt 23 watt 2700k