Needs help<<<

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thaguuds, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Hey guys ive got a problem with an indoor setup was hoping on some insight as im stumped.

i sprout the seeds as usual cotton wool and once theyve developed a little i put them in soil. i leave them outside in the sun untill ive got a first set of leaves and then put them into bigger pots indoors under a 400hps bulbs. after a few days they go yellow and they dont grow at all and stay like that.

ive used this method before successfully but now this has happened twice in a row. i use normal tap water no nutrients yet and use an organic type soil. i dont think its the soil because they grow fine in the sun just go yellow when put under the light. they have about 1m distance between the light good ventilation etc. out of about 15 sprouts 2 came through fine the rest had this problem. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. I had a similar problem with my current setup and turned out to actually be a nutrient def even at that stage. My soil had like 0 cal,mag,or iron and my seedlings yellowed up and died right away.

3. Yea problem is that i thought it was the soil the first time so the second time i switched to organic and still same story.:confused:

4. Have you tried using distilled water instead of tap? In a lot of places the stuff in tap water is definitely not good for plants. I let mine sit out at least a day if its from a sink to get rid of the chemicals in it so it doesn't affect plant growth. Couldn't hurt to try it if you haven't tried it before.

5. I would guess that it has something to do with heat. Putting a new sprout in the sun and then moving inside to HID lighting may be a bit much. Try putting the sprout under a CFL for a few days and then under HID that is several feet away. You aren't having a nute deficiency in a plant that young.

6. germinate your seeds in distilled water only!!! put them in shot glasses with distilled water. when the tail is half inch to an inch long put them in small cups with soil and under a small Fluorescent light till there about 6-10 inches tall. Then your 400w will take over just fine. make sure you use nutes and balance the ph and you will love the end result!

7. I agree with Texarkana Tim. Instead of going to the HPS you should throw them under a CFL bulb or two. I have really gread success with the 27 watt 5000K and 5500K day light bulbs, and I use clamp light reflectors to direct the energy at the plants. I keep the bulbs about 2cm or an inch or so away from the top of the canopy until they set up maybe 4 leaf sets or so. Then I transplant and throw them under the 400w.

Also, a 400w system at 1m is too far away to support photosythesis.

By using the inverse square law, and the somewhat arbitrary distance of 1=~6.8inches(18cm), and a lumen value of 45,000 then at ~40inches (100cm) you divide 45,000 lumens by the square of the distance ratio. Yadda yadda yadda 45,000lumens/34.6=1,300 lumens.

So at that height you are providing far less energy to your plants than a 27w CFL bulb would in a clamp light reflector (I measure up to 5000 lumens at 1inch with a newish bulb).

Also, I think you need to remember that your watering habits will change drastically when you move the plants indoors. Depending on the size of the root system and the density/porosity of the media an indoor seedling may not need moisture more than twice a week. It could just be that you are adding some water every day, when the plant would rather have a good soak and then time to air out and breath and stretch the roots looking for moisture.

I hope these thoughts help you out. I also want to mention that if you feel like soil is sorta "last years thing" then try out coco. You will love it, especially for starting your plants.

8. Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions, i will try growing them a little bigger and try CFL bulb first then go HPS. also if a fresh plant has been affected in this way or has had a nute deficiency at a young stage will it affect the yield if the deficiency has been fixed?

9. not really. its hard to tell that early. just try to be consistent. if your plant has to keep adjusting to its living conditions it might herm and you could get less than perfect buds and maybe a few seeds.

10. t-5 from sprout through veg.....400 to flower......i cant get my t-5 close enough to burn the plants...couple inch at most....agree the 400 is too much for young plant...if your like me you put them partial shade.....the coco rocks.....give that forum a look...anyone think of just bad seed???? had it happen to me...good growin:smoke: