needing advice on lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by zakna, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hey so iv got two lil clones rooted potted just out of 1st official week, im on 20 hours of light using 3 4' sunblasters 54 watts, my question is, these light are rated at 5000L ea. How many of these flourescent lights should i use?

2. That should be acceptable for veg, I think lost people say 100w per plant as a minimum. More is better but I would say if you buy more light get a small hps or something for flower

3. I was thinking of using another SB further into veg and then switching then to flowet bulbs and getting a 150w hps how would that work ?

4. Floros on the sides ( 2 on each side) and the hps on top like a tube of light

5. It would work. Just keep in mind yield has a lot to do with your lights realistic for beginners like us is probably only .3-.6 grams per watt.

So what your goals are is what makes the difference on what lights to get.

If budget is an issue check out Craigslist for used lights. You can get a 600 hps for about $100. You can also ask hydroponics store if they have any used gear... I would say most do.

6. #6 zakna, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
    So saying i used all my space for them 150g would be a good estimates running at 366watts??

7. Mate i would get a 400w metal halide on those clones with some cfl blues and reds to pre harden. Take a look at Hydrovate.com for cheap quality gear.

8. It's possible. It's easy to grow ok weed. It's harder to get great yields of dank bud.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all by 5-6 oz with that much light.

9. You mention red spectrum during veg, i was woundering about that, but i think my sunblasters are an even enough spectrum for it not to matter a whole lot, but there is a 400w mh/hps conversion ballest i waas looking at, but im kinda short on funds so im thinking i may only be able to get the 4 floros and the 1 150 watt hps

10. In a perfect world he would be running red led and plasma lighting. Lol I think budget sounds like an issue here. If you could only get one light I would go with hps. You can veg for as long as you want but flower is limited and you intensity must be high for optimal results

Fair warning though I'm a new grower as well.

11. So my experience with the 3 SB and a 500 watt halogen( please dont anyone start going on about the insuficiency of the yellow spectrum i used the halogen just for an added kick it was all i had) and i got roughly 7g ea. Off of 3 plants but they were supers crystally and got me blitzd, lil harsh but that was cuz i dont rly have the hang of curing yet. But yes budget is a slight issue, i can either spend 125 on this 150 watt light or i can get more SB, and iv checked for used shit and nothings close enough to me. Should i get the hps or more SB? Js the SB ARE a high output floro

12. Mate its true even if budget is an issue there are places now where growers can get 5 times what they could from normal shops agree with 420queen used hydrovate for years now there great

13. What! $125 for that small hps? Nah Craigslist bro. You can buy a used 600 hps with remote digital ballast for that much. Or a 400 watt. Used stuff isn't bad at all.

Also they sell a 125 watt cfl for $60 with the reflector at my local hydro store. Something to consider. If you are on a budget order offline too. You won't need flower or any extra light really for a while yet

14. Holy, just checked that out and am deffinately gunna have to look into that thanks a million

15. P.s they also got a 10% off code I dont think they no people still use its "hyd10" :)

16. Aha thank you sooomuch

17. Where do i enter in the code?

18. At the checkout theres option to enter a discount code? Then click apply voucher i think!!

19. Just used it myself