Need Your Input

Discussion in 'General' started by dizzywizz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hey guys.. So I just got hired for a sales job. I havent worked yet and start tomorrow. After careful consideration, I realize this is not the job for me. This job was kind of on the bottom of my list and not really related to what I want to do for my career. I would not want to waste their time and my time. Should I just call them tomorrow saying thank you for the opportunity and sorry for taking your time but this is not a job I would want to do?

2. Or just don't show up

3. yeah just dont go or call if you want,theres no point in going there.

4. The point is to not tarnish your name.

I like your idea op be up front with them.

Why not work their for a little while and make money/gain experience while you look for a better job.

5. I think I agree with you.. but say I get interviewed for other jobs and even get hired. say within the first month of working there, I guess it would be okay to let them know I've been offered a better position?

6. Well Idk what kind of work you're doing but you should atleast give them some notice if you're not gonna work there.

They were nice enough to give you the opportunity of the job the least you can do is be upfront ya know.

If you do find another job I think it would be fine to leave for a better opportunity. Nothing says you have to stay at one place forever man.

7. #8 dizzywizz, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    The job is a door to door sales job selling Uverse to existing At&t clients with opportunity for advancement. I just graduated from Uconn with a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and am currently still looking for engineering related jobs. I guess I should just work there until I get hired for another job, then give them my notice? I just don't want to work my ass off and get paid next to nothing.

8. O man I really don't blame you then. Mechanical engineering is like architecture right? From uconn? Damn right I wouldn't wanna work there if I were you.

Sales is lame too especially door to door. I don't think I would do it.

That being said atleast its something, I'm assuming you have loans and shit. You gotta pay those now that you graduated.

Idk op I see where you're comin from now but either way id let them know. Who knows though you might meet some hot mom who's all home alone and horny :devious:

9. Ok the real question is, have you WORKED before?

Guess what college grads? Having a degree isn't enough, you need to work.
    If you can afford to not work now, why not take an internship in your field, make the connections and realize you're going to have to work your way up.

If you've never had a job before, take the job and go to work. We've all had to pay our dues. Your turn.

10. lmao, well thanks for the advice man i really appreciate it. I guess I should just stick this out at least for a couple weeks, and If I don't like it, I guess I'd straight up quit.

11. Ive worked many minimum wage jobs all throughout highschool and college... im done making chump change. and yes an internship is a good idea..

12. [quote name='"whiskey"']

Ok the real question is, have you WORKED before?

Guess what college grads? Having a degree isn't enough, you need to work.
    If you can afford to not work now, why not take an internship in your field, make the connections and realize you're going to have to work your way up.

If you've never had a job before, take the job and go to work. We've all had to pay our dues. Your turn.[/quote]

You're welcome man anytime.

This is also good advice. You gotta start somewhere.

13. Have you ever had an office job?
    Look, you can't just magically expect to be a mechanical architect, it doesn't work that way, you need to work in the field, probably starting at the bottom, like in the mail room, and work your way up. Sure this job may not be the best, but it's a job, right?

Truth is, if you don't want it, call them up and tell them no thanks, there are other people out there that NEED that job.

Since you can afford to not work, contact your college about finding an internship or start contacting local firms. BTW, you're still going to make chump change, if anything.

14. #15 dizzywizz, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    no offense man, but an ME degree aint politcal science or anthropology. I am ideally applying for entry level ME jobs. I dont want to work 40 hours a week for 400 dollars. The problem isn't needing a job or working my way up. I have busted my ass to get this degree only to get 30k in debt. Im not starting at an office job I can without a degree. The problem isn't work. It is that I just got hired, and am in need of help of what to do if I get a better job.

15. Neither of the later degrees do anything. Do you know what being a first year lawyer is like? Not glamour. You start at the bottom, you get people their coffee and bagels.

You don't get a corner office. The fact that your degree, from the experience of other people that I know who have graduated with various engineering degrees recently (all of who are unemployed), is small and specialized, works against you in this economy.

That's why I suggested an internship, but hey, if that's not good enough for you, it is for someone else looking to get on the right path for a career. Your college should be able to help place you with an appropriate firm, but like I said, it doesn't mean you start out getting paid. An internship is unpaid.

16. If you do decide to quit, for the love of God at least call and say thank you for the opportunity. Don't just not show up and not call..

I would just stick with it until you find something better. Money is money, and not every job is going to be an ideal high paying one.

17. [quote name='"whiskey"']

Neither of the later degrees do anything. Do you know what being a first year lawyer is like? Not glamour. You start at the bottom, you get people their coffee and bagels.

You don't get a corner office. The fact that your degree, from the experience of other people that I know who have graduated with various engineering degrees recently (all of who are unemployed), is small and specialized, works against you in this economy.

That's why I suggested an internship, but hey, if that's not good enough for you, it is for someone else looking to get on the right path for a career. Your college should be able to help place you with an appropriate firm, but like I said, it doesn't mean you start out getting paid. An internship is unpaid.[/quote]

I kno plenty of engineers making bank lol

On the other hand i kno so many people who didnt go to college who are currently im shitholes

18. anywho,thanks to hggbub. and whiskey, if ur not gonna help, then i dont want to hear your 2 cents.

19. I am helping. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear the suggestion but it's reality. My suggestion is a good one, ask anyone in your field who has been for awhile.

Sorry if you don't want to hear it.