Need Video card & Keyboard reccomendations!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by TheNorthern, Aug 4, 2010.

1. AIGHT so payday is on Thursday and I'm gonna have a fat fucking cheque, now besides cigarettes and weed I want to buy a new keyboard and video card. I'm not very educated in the area of graphic cards so I need some help. I want to play games like Oblivion and shit on my PC and I want them to look fuckin boss. My integrated card doesn't really do "boss".

Need a new keyboard cause I spilt milk on my good one and during the cleaning process I lost the fucking 'N' key..

Got like a $200 +/- budget for both items. I'm Canadian so I would prefer buying off a Canadian site.

Can post spec's if needed. THAAAANKS GUYS! :)

2. Specs would help.

As for keyboards... unless you want something specific in them, you can basically get anything in any price range. Cheap out on the keyboard and put more towards a bitchin card, or you could easily drop the whole $200 on a keyboard; depends which area you'd rather have the "bigger" upgrade.

stay medicated:smoking:

3. Well I'd like to lean towards a better keyboard this payday, spend some more time researching video cards and shit. I'm looking for a keyboard that's stylish as fuck, super easy to type, has back-lighted keys (maybe an option to change the colours too?) maybe an LCD display as well?

4. Memory (RAM): 4062 MB

CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz

CPU Speed: 2495.5 MHz

Display Adapters: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset | Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

Screen Resolution: 1680 X 1050 - 32 bit

Motherboard: Acer EG43M

Most of the relevant specifications... Any more needed?

5. I have a logitech G15 keyboard thats bad as fuck. it was onsale for $89 if i remember right. it has a LCD display that works with oblivion and has backlight keys that you can adjust the brightness too. its an amazing keyboard and looks bad ass. for my videocards i have 2x Radeon HD4850's i originally had one and it ran oblivion just fine on high settings. the card was like 150-200, i cant really remember correctly

6. ATI Radeon HD5850/5870 are pretty sweet cards.
    When these cards aren't enough, just buy another and dual SLI.

Don't buy Nvidia, expensive and lower quality.

7. #8 IGemini, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
    I'm not recommending the 4800/5800-series for two reasons, case and power supply. I'm assuming this might be what the OP has:

Acer Aspire X3810

Neither the case or the power supply would be able to handle a full-sized card or one with a large power draw, nevermind a Crossfire configuration. It looks like only low-profile cards will work which severely limit your options. The best Radeon card available in low-profile I can find is the 5570. I'm also finding a GeForce 9800GT that will work better for gaming purposes but it also has a higher power draw, and I'm not sure about the case configuration; the heatsink might be too big to fit.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102874&cm_re=5570-_-14-102-874-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061

Edited for Canadian links.

8. #9 Zylark, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
    Keyboards are a dime a dozen, but for good quality, go for a standard Logitech one. You don't need the bell and whistles, just a responsive reliable never-fail sweet wired keyboard. I got the K120, and it is perfect. And very affordable, perhaps 20 bucks.

Mouse is more important anyways, and you can't go wrong with a Razor. Never looked back, they are perfect mice for a leftie FPS addict like myself. On my second Razor mouse. The first, I managed to, umm, sort of mangle up the fire button on, after a small bout of rage in CoD2 :p It was an unfair kill I tell you. Bloody unfair. Of the type where in a duel, both have expended their main-gun ammo, expended the sidearm ammo, circling closer and closer for the knife fight, and... I lost...

As for graphics card, that is an issue of price-range, what power-supply you have, and preferences. Me, I love nVidia cards. All I ever buy. ATI might give more "bang-for-the-buck" at the moment, and they do have some sweet cards, but to me nVidia always have, and still do, deliver some mighty stable and durable GPUs. Not to mention the drivers, which are for various reasons less prone to cause errors or extreme load times with various games. Most recently BFBC2 where a great deal of ATI owners struggled a bit.

I'm in the market myself for a new GFX card, and I'm weighing the pros and cons (price vs performance really) between a nVidia GTX270 and GTX280 card. I think I'll go for the GTX270. It's cheaper basically, but will still run my newest games (ARMA2, BFBC2) very well. And I need the money to buy me a projector...

9. I have an m3802, the case size is no issue. But the power supply is only 300 watts. I might have to consider upgrading my psu before I think about buying a gpu! Not very many cards to pick from that can do with 300w.

10. If you want a performance GPU, 300 watts won't do it. 500 watts minimum, 750 watts even better. Depending on the load the rest of the system gobbles up naturally.

Here is a nice little calculator to estimate your PSU needs.

11. Logitech G15
    Logitech MX158

12. Not sure if i missed this but, whats your video interface? PCI Express 2.0 x16?

13. 5770s are good cards, I have one myself.

Since the chipset is an Eaglelake G43/45, it is PCIe 2.0.

14. Razer Lycosa is a good keyboard. It's what I have. As for video card I would say Nvidia GTX 260.