Need to find an author/poet post 1950s

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Soccerguy420, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I am writing a paper pretty much on a topic of my choosing, concerning a particular author or poet that wrote after the 1950s.

tl;dr at bottom

I have narrowed my topics down to

analyzing a specific work
    analyzing a time period of the author/poet's life and how it was reflected in his/her writings
    noting similarities/commonalities/recurring themes in many works by this author/poet

and stuff like that.

all the above was just extra information, i haven't read much of anything written after the 1950s, so if you wouldn't mind, shout out ideas for authors or poets that wrote post 1950s to help me out :hello:

tl;dr writing paper on an author or poet that wrote after the 1950s. post ones that you like/would be worthwhile to write a paper about

2. A friend linked this to me before

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-ANXLaViw&feature=related]America by Allen Ginsberg with music by Tom Waits - YouTube[/ame]

3. thanks, ill check that out! :smoke:

4. please any more suggestions, my topic is due tomorrow ahah

5. Kurt Vonnegut. He did have two books published in the 1950's, but none of his popular work was created until the 60s. He's the author of Slaughterhouse-Five, Cat's Cradle, and Breakfast of Champions.

A more recent author that I really enjoy is Chuck Palahniuk. He was the author behind Fight Club, Survivor, Choke, etc... All of his work I believe was created in the last two decades.

I would love to help out with poetry, but alas, I'm no good with anything that isn't very dated. I only know classics unfortunately.

6. One that is pretty popular these days is Hunter S. Thompson. His life and works were pretty interesting as well.