Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Need Tips! Coconut Canna Oil Caps didn't Work!!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by pizzarollz, Jan 8, 2017.

1. I recently made coconut canna oil capsules and they do nothing other than cause an upset stomach. Here's my procedure and any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Ground up a 1/4 of bud in food processor to about pinky nail size and smaller
    2. Decarbed ground up bud on cookie sheet and tin foil at 230 degrees for 45 mins
    3. Melted 1/2 cup of extra virgin coconut oil in crock pot on simmer setting (not exactly sure how hot that is,
    but the next hottest setting is at 350 which I believe is too hot)
    4. Ground up decarbed bud in food processor very finely and added to coconut oil to sit at simmer for 3
    hours, stirring every 30 mins.
    5. strained oil and bud mixture through cheesecloth
    6. added oil to size 00 gelatin capsules with syringe and refrigerate, filled up 100 capsules

Both my wife and I have taken anywhere from 1 to 5 at a time, keeping them closed and opening them first before ingestion with no results. We have even tried eating at specific times before and after to help digest the oil with no success either. We have both reacted to edibles (cookies, brownies, firecrackers) before so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

2. I don't know why that didn't work, especially eating five capsules. Take a break from edibles, and a complete tolerance break if possible for a week or so before you try them again. I bet you get high then. I think you've just got your tolerance so high you don't feel the caps. Good luck.

3. @pizzarollz
    Not enough bud and to much oil.. Adding 1/6th lecithin by volume will increase the bioavailability..
    Try using just enough oil to cover the weed.. Make sludge-mud-pie..
    [​IMG]
    Mine is
    5 grams of decarbed dry ice hash
    1 tablespoon of coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes then freeze.. Reheat and cap.. Makes 30 very potent (0) caps
    The sludge is to thick cold to draw up the eyedropper I use and the coffee mug heater keep the sludgy mess nice and hot for filling..
    Working with bud you'll want to strain out the weed with cheese cloth but it'll still be far weaker then this stuff is.. The last time we did weak bud oil for somebody it was a cup of weed to a cup of oil and an hour heat at 220 F with a candy thermometer then freeze overnight and reheat.. Mostly used for cooking as it's very low potency for chronic users and not felt by myself at all even in massive amounts.. It'll give me the runs before I get high from it.. Take 10 caps and see what it does.. It's just a question of dosage..
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. 1/4 oz = 7g of herb
    7g / 100 capsules = 0.07g = 70mg of herb per capsule

An experienced cannabis chef, using kind bud and following a trusted recipe, would be pleased to get 5-10% of that amount in THC content of the finished edible.

Therefore by my math, your capsules are probably between 3.5-7.0mg of THC. A standard Colorado dose is 10mg. So your edibles (even assuming the best case that you know what you are doing and followed a great recipe) are substantially weaker than the standard dose.

Tips for next time:

1. Use much more herb!
    2. Use lecithin
    3. Use coconut oil instead of olive oil
    4. Measure temperature accurately, don't use an unknown temperature slow cooker

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeah I figured I must not have used enough bud. I tried to average out between two different recipes I found. What I did believe it or not was twice as strong as one recipe and about 75% the strength of the other.

We also discovered that our crockpot doesn't get as hot as we thought when we tried to fry chicken in it the next day and it wouldn't get hot enough. It was a recipe for disaster. Thanks for the tips!

6. I would definitely agree with you except my wife doesn't have much of a tolerance and she took three without noticing anything. Plus if I had a tolerance so high that I couldn't feel anything from a recipe that claims you'll "feel like you're floating off of one cap" after taking 5, my wallet wouldn't be able to keep up haha

7. The 70 mg of Cannabis is a misleading figure.

7 grams of cannabis at 20% THC equals 1.4 grams of THC. 100 capsules means that each capsule is.014 g which is 14 mg per capsule assuming 100 % extraction.

Any of you guys who haven't been out of high school over 40 years care to check the math.

I also STRONGLY disagree with BNW. The optimum decarb (as tested for by PSam) is 240 F for 40 minutes. The repeat cycles he talks about are going to make your caps more sleep inducing since the heat freeze cycles cause some of the THC to convert to CBN.

Another option for success is to take this discussion over to the stickie tincture thread at the top of the page. You will get great advice and learn a method of making capsules where you dose by number of drops vs. number of caps.
    Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

There is an index. I usually suggest reading the first few pages and then the last several to kind of catch up. There is an index and folks who will help ensure your success.

Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lmao

9. BrassNwooD is the man and has the process down!! Here it is in a nut shell...

Decarb 240*F for fourty minutes. Be sure to leave the bud chunky but remove the lumber.

Throw / wrap the ganja in foil and throw it in the oven for that fourty minutes and remove to let cool.

Dump the decarbed ganja into a glass Mason jar and use a spoon to grind fine against the side of the jar.

Add coconut oil and lecithin. The more oil the larger your dose will need to be, more later on that. Add lecithin, 1/6th by volume of cannaoil is good for me and others. Mix well.

This step isnt needed but helps it significantly. Freeze it for a few hours or over night, then heat in a 220*F oven for twenty minutes. Freeze again and heat again. Its fucking ready!!

Dosage works like this... first off fuck the math. A quarter of a gram of decarbed ganja is great for most stoners. You could go up to a half gram of ganja but most people will lose their shit on that dose. So if an 1/8th has 3.5 grams * 4 doses per gram = 14 doses. So after you make all your caps then divide the number of caps by 14. More oil = more caps per single dose.

Why fatty oils like coconut or even butter? Because THC rides through our digestive system on fats and we burn fats for fuel first. So it hits faster, alot faster.

Why lecithin? Because it acts as a binder and makes the edible hit harder, way harder...

Why didn't yours work? The heat of the crock pot degraded the THC to CBD and nothing. Your decarbed ganja was effective enough to have gotten you baked prior to the crock pot.

It comes down to first getting the decarb consistent. Then everything will fall into place.

• Disagree Disagree x 1