need speakers, help me out blades

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by SirInfi, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Well, try listening close as you turn up the volume really high. If you hear or feel faint audio then that means it'll probs work if you just amplify it using one of those little preamps I linked to. Could be worth the $20 + cords.

2. Finally got myself an SVS sub

3. Ah nice, which one did you get?

4. The precursor to yours, the SB12nsd. 1230182320a.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. I need new speakers and an amp next, I am not sure in which order.

I am running some old KEF c60 monster bookshelf speakers with my receiver. Sounds decent but not up to my standard, not sure if the cheap receiver is the problem or both

6. Are the speakers in that kef still good?

In the audio world, you match your amp to your speakers.
    So if you wanted a new system, get speakers you like and get the amp that powers your speakers.

Those kefs are suppose to be good if working properly, a poor amp will make it sound shitty.

7. Yeah they seem decent except the clarity at the high end, it isnt 'muddy' just dull, like drum cymbals dont have the detail I think they should.

Some people say the ferrofluid in the tweeters can dry up buy if that happened i think they would sound worse.

I am fine with the size of these, if I knew more about DIY I would just replace the drivers. 0705181758.jpg

8. It would be cheaper to have them replaced at a store than buying new speakers.
    Those are really cool!

One day I'll have a set of towers.

9. Yeah it isn't easy to find bookshelf with 8" drivers anymore, especially sealed. These are different lol.

How do you like your KEF? What towers are you dreaming on?

• Like Like x 1
  10. #90 SirInfi, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Probably the r900.

If I won the lottery I would go for the reference towers. They cost about the same as a luxury car.

Which amp are you using at the moment?

11. Here's one of my stereo systems. I run Tidal via a USB into the Yamaha amp. Amp is 100 real watts... kicks butt!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ahh, A4L has them Kef refurbished for 1,444 each or 1,800 new. I was thinking about those too but I think i would possibly prefer Focal Aria 936 for $2,300 pair.

I am still using my Denon e300 receiver unfortunately. I noticed recently it is 6-8ohm and my speakers are 4ohm so a new amp is a must.

13. Looks good! My samsung looks exactly like that!

14. Let me know what you eventually end up with.

I'm tasked with getting a new TV and stereo for the living room.

15. I am really interested in the Hypex Ncore class D topology so I am eyeballing an amp by Nord.

• Like Like x 1
  16. crutchfield.com

17. I wish svs made subs for cars.
    Would also love a peachtree head unit and tube amp lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah that is quite a monster.

Curious why a 10?