need speakers, help me out blades

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by SirInfi, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Correct, this is the subwoofer from Klipsch Ifi which is powered.

Ill snap a few pix

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also, ive tried it with and without the dock plugged in AND tried running it through the line input on the dock itself

3. I think the problem is that you've got PREAMP out going into LINE IN. So LINE IN is expecting a powered signal thus it probably doesn't amplify it. You may need to have a RCA to bare wire to go PREAMP to those bare wire inputs. Maybe include a pic of the entire sub back (inputs).

• Like Like x 1
  4. All the inputs are in that picture haha. Just R L line input and dock.

The sub preout on the denon should be signal only since its not a powered sub out, and the line input on subwoofer amp should only be for signal. I can plug my phone or ipod into line input of subamp and it plays

5. ⚡[/QUOTE]
    No, LINE IN is a post amp signal (powered) such as from a CD player or phone. Line level signals are already amplified, preamp needs to be amplified. I'm certain that the problem is that you're pushing a unamplified signal into a input for amplified signals.

If you can cannibalize a RCA cord, strip the female side down to 2 wires and plug it into the sub left or right and plug the other into your receiver sub out. It's tough cause this is kind of a computer speaker set up and not a traditional sub so it's designed to take signals from computer or phone whereas a traditional sub can take preamp signals.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah if it was meant for computer it would be difficult to hook up to stereo or home theater. My buddy brought one for me and I couldn't hook up with it. My stereo only has preouts.
    Start a savings funds, i used a shoebox haha. Every few days id throw money in there.

7. If you really want to make it work, buy something like this (maybe not this specific one but something like this). That way you'll get a powered signal to your sub. Or check to make sure there isn't a powered sub out on your receiver.

8. I wont argue, obviously idk what i am doing lol.

Okay i have some rca laying around i can destroy but im not sure i understand what you are saying.

The only input on the sub itself is line and dock, the speak wire terminals are for the satellites so they are powered outputs.

Idk if it helps but its a denon e300 and klipsch iFi.

It sucks i have this powered klipsch sub and an unpowered car subwoofer in a box and i cant use either lol.

9. Ya, if those speaker wire terminals are OUT only then it wouldn't work. Mine has ins and outs. Google around for a preamp that seems good, might be worth $20 to make it work. That or just get a different receiver or sub.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yea either preamp or new sub, i just got this receiver about 1.5years ago. That sub is about 10yrs old so id go that route haha. Im surprised how decent this little 8in woofer is though.

11. That doesnt make sense to me, but electronics isnt my strong suite.

If the RCA is output on the receiver is just for signal and the input on the sub is RCA for signal, wouldnt the signal be amplified at the sub amp?

From what i understand a preamp just amplifies the signal with less noise than a regular amplifier no?

I just hope the sub out isnt defective.

12. Just to be clear, i did have the subwoofer set "on" in the audio menu options.

I wish i had another piece of equipment that accepted rca so i knew whether or not the sub out was working

13. So, your sub is not a "normal sub". It's part of a computer/phone speaker setup. It wasn't ever designed to run as a sub for a bigger system. I use the exact same kind of system (little sub, L/R speakers, input for phone) here at my work as I type. I would forget about using just the sub as a sub, personally. I'll bet your speaker combo works just fine but only in the way it's designed to work. If you really want to use the sub alone, you might be able to buy one of those amps that I linked to and run it off your receiver. The input on your sub is expecting an amped signal but your receiver is pumping out low level signal. If you plug it in and crank it up slowly so you don't blow your speaker, you might be able to hear it very faintly.

Your receiver is a kind of catch all receiver designed to be hooked up to your TV entertainment center but you can use it as a stand alone stereo receiver. That "sub out" connection only pumps out the lower tones whereas your speaker setup is designed to receive a "normal" range.

They aren't designed to work together. What you really need is a real subwoofer or just use your speaker combo as designed (directly from phone or computer).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Save for a good subwoofer!
    Get the svs pb1000.

• Like Like x 1
  15. That speaker combo really isn't worth putting money towards. It's only Klipsch in name but it's really not meant to kick out big sound. Those little subs are mostly a novelty to support the small L/R speakers that come with it. I have a big powered sub but I don't even use it because my tower speakers for music listening can do what I need them to do (my tv is hooked to a proper 5.1 system though).

If you want good sound, it's time to graduate past computer speakers and start chasing the dragon like everyone else. You can be happy with relatively inexpensive setups, they will all sound huge compared to those computer speakers. Trouble you might have is getting the balance where you like it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I have the klipsch satellites as rear channel, my mains are 3 way 12" maybe 5" and tweeter.

I have other priorities for my money, just wanted 'some' bass so my music and movies are not lacking in the audible spectrum.

I am not a big bass head really, just want to be able to hear if not feel the low frequencies. You'd think the 12" in the towers would suffice but they seem to be crossing over fairly high, maybe 40 if not 60hz (that or they are horribly inefficient in that range).

• Like Like x 1
  17. My job has almost decent pay and good benefits, but i might need a new job to have the liberty to throw around that kind of money on a non-necessity.

• Like Like x 1