Need some underground (not mainstream) artists

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Esqubed92, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aye guys, I'm in the process of starting up a blog that features underground (mostly rap) artists and the music they make. It's mostly to educate a lot of my friends in music beyond a lot of the mainstream shit they listen to on a day-to-day basis. What I need from you guys is some artists that I should go check out. That way I have lot's more artists to write about, plus it never hurts to listen to some good music. If they could be fairly new artists or at least actively in the game that'd be awesome. Thanks guys.

2. So many.. DOOM, Madlib, J Dilla, CunninLynguists, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek (mainly Train of thought album), Pharcyde, Move.Meant, People Under the Stairs, Damu the Fudgemunk, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Themselves, Sole, Deep Puddle Dynamics, Dynospectrum, Devin the Dude, Binary Star, Flying Lotus, Dudley Perkins (aka Declaime), Wax, EOM, HerbalT, Eyedea and Abilities, Fat Jon, Gangstarr, Glue, Wu-tang, Guilty Simpson, Hieroglyphics, Illogic, Input, KMD, Lootpack, Matisyahu, 10 ft. Ganja Plant, Nas (illmatic album), Nightmares On Wax, Pretty Lights, Notorious BIG, Odd Nosdam, 9th Wonder, A Tribe Called Quest, Typical Cats, Nujabes.... fuck I can't think of anymore :eek: This is mostly a hiphop compilation except for some reggae. I have a pretty large reggae/dub and even dubstep collection but ill keep this somewhat simple.:D

Oh and for local artists (UTAH): Taskrok, N1nthcloud, and DJ Piccolo (personal friend of mine). :smoke:

Piccolo's sets on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
    Piccolo

3. Big L, Jeru the Damaja, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Deltron 3030, Kool Keith/Dr Octagon, Jedi Mind Tricks, GZA, Raekwon, Rakim, Blackstar.. just some dudes I'd add to the pretty comprehensive list above.

4. Cage,
    Kid Cudi (sort of mainstream, but in my opinion, hes the best),
    Curen$y

5. cage was good until his last album came out, he sold out, listen to some movies for the blind. reef the lost cauze is dope, i got to smoke a blunt with him hes the fuckin man. oddfutures good but there gettin big now. celph titled, action bronson and the greatest rapper ever R.A. THE RUGGED MAN.

6. I don't like OFWGKTA

7. well kudi and currensy suck so ur opinion means nothing

8. :hello: LMAO...yeah Cudi is garbage and is definitely mainstream... Anyway as to the OP's question: Slum Village (Fantastic Vol. 2), Common (Ressurection, Like Water For Chocolate, Be), The Roots (Their Entire Catalog), Outkast (even though they could be considered mainstream they are still classic), Smif-n-Wessun (Dah Shinin), Heltah Skeltah (Nocturnal), Blu & Exile (Below The Heavens), Elzhi (his new mixtape Elmatic mega dope), Little Brother (The Listening, Minstrel Show), Fashawn, Fly Union, Nas (Illmatic, It was written, Lost Tapes), Strange Fruit Project, Oddisee, Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul....can't think of anything else

9. Cage, Rap artist, White male spent 18 months in insane asylum tried to hang himself with shoelaces multiple times along with saving up lithium doses in attempt to off himself. He spits so mad rhymes that are mad chill to get faded to.

Look up

Cage-Weather People
    Cage-Among the sleep
    Cage-Hells Winter
    Cage-Underground Rapstar
    Cage- Agent Orange
    Cage- Suicidal failure

All are amazing songs by him. Very talented artist.

10. all great songs, smut peddlers ftw, cage is dead to me now

11. Cam groves

Listen to
    Stand still
    I be killin 'em
    I get lifted
    My music
    This is who I am
    To all my friends
    Roger that

If you like those there's 2 mixtapes free at pdank.com (we smoked it all vol. 1 and 2) and he has an album on iTunes (hope something cool happens)

12. not OF

Tha Likwit Crew

13. Immortal Technique, Buku One, but always... DJ QUIK!

14. Look up these albums:
    Cannibal Ox - Iron Galaxy
    Hezekiah - Hurry Up And Wait
    Aceyalone - Hip Hop And The World We Live In
    Mr. Lif - Emergency Rations
    Quasimoto - The Unseen

All excellent albums in my opinion, especially Iron Galaxy and The Unseen.

15. Try Common Market,Cyne,Crown city rockers.they ill bruh and use Pandora radio I found so much underground shit that was dope

16. Someone remind me to go back to this post next time I'm downloading music. :smoke:

17. Little Brother
    Strange Fruit Project
    MF Doom
    Blue Scholars
    Cannibal Ox
    Gorilla Warfare Tactics

18. Some unmentioned so far:

Freestyle Fellowship (Get All Of It!!!!!)
    Haiku d'Etat
    Myka 9
    Aceyalone
    Abstract Rude
    Blackalicious
    Gift of Gab
    Lateer the Truthspeaker
    Lyrics Born
    Latyrx
    The Goats
    Mad Conductor
    MC Paul Barman
    Optimus Rhyme
    MC Frontalot
    Zion I
    The Grouch & Eligh
    The Grouch
    Eligh
    Living Legends
    Sunspot Jonz
    Monsta Island Czars
    El-P
    for emphasis, Aesop Rock (Get All of It!!! Hunt down the features, too)
    Souls of Mischief
    Poor Righteous Teachers
    Afroman (he's got so many better songs than Because I Got High)
    Panacea
    CYNE
    Blueprint
    Illogic
    Greenhouse // Greenhouse Effect
    Hail Mary Mallon
    Flobots
    Tajai
    Casual
    A-Plus
    Antipop Consortium
    Dalek

19. Metro zuuu Check out da kushpak mixtapes n highland zombies by d'ammett.