Need some solid career advice. All Welcome.

Discussion in 'General' started by brandon73686, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Just graduated high school and will be a freshmen this year in college. I live in wheeling,WV and I am going to a local university.The good things are I am fairly smart in English,Science,and Social Studies/History and I am very lucky in that I have a benefactor willing to pay for my education and I won't have to worry about paying off loans and there is enough money to send me to graduate school if needed. The bad things are I am basically horrible at math and I have no idea what career I am going into. I have pretty good typing and computer skills.

The things I am looking for in a career are:
    1.Good pay and benefits(obviously)
    1a.Enjoyable work
    2.Hopefully no drug testing but I am realistic that it will be almost impossible to find good jobs without it.
    3.A so-called "reccession proof" field if that's actually possible. And also a career that has minimal risk in getting me sued. "this is one of the reason the medical field scares me.

and thats basically it some careers that interest me are

psychiatry
    anesthesiology
    pharmaceuticals

does anyone have any comments on these careers or advice on other careers to look into ?

If it helps here is the University West Liberty | Welcome

Thanks in advance

2. Well I personally wouldn't do psychiatry because I wouldn't want to listen to other peoples problems all day. Anesthesiology pays VERY VERY well.
    Pharmaceuticals I don't know you have to stand in a bright white room all day making sure everyone has the right dose of whatever they are taking.

Personally I don't know but good luck hope it works out.:smoke:

3. pharmaceuticals would be my first choice. people will always be getting sick, and in a "recession" maybe even more so. i can't even imagine the number of people who are on medication in this country, and most will do anything to get there drugs. i could be wrong though :eek:

4. i wanna go into psychiatry too, im at the same crossroads as you

5. I'm wanting to be a pharmacist too because of the nice salary, benefits, sign on bonus, and it could be enjoyable lol. My parents friend is a pharmacist and he works 4 days a week, making $150k salary. :O He also got a 30k sign on bonus.

6. #6 Darkshade, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    if you like to talk to people (like me) and think you can understand people and how they work and/or enjoy it then i would recommend going into Psychology.

you can either go though the arts and major in Psychology or go though the sciences, the science is harder but also more respected.

then you have to choose if you want to be a Psychologist or a psychiatrist because depending on what one you want you either go to Med school or go on to get your masters/PhD. If you end up finishing Med school and do it that way you can prescribe medicine, that's the only real difference in what you can do but some jobs will look for a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist.

Thats all i know and i dont know much, im honestly thinking about it and so far thats what im aiming for but if anybody has any more info that would be great.

7. #7 dustyyy, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    I have an extremely similar problem. I also am attending college in the fall. I am also fairly smart in all core classes, with minor difficultties in higher math. I am also considering pharmacy and health care fields. I am attending the college I'm going to with the hopes of getting into their pharmacy school.

Anyways, I'm still not sure, but I've done a lot of reseach into it. I'll give you some pros/cons that I can think of at the moment.

Pros:

1.Its not a 'boring', carefree job. Pharmacists DO NOT count pills. Even in the retail setting. Thats usually left to techs. Pharmacists assist doctors and double check the recommended medicine doctors prescribes and take in many factors for consideration (ie. cost, safety, availability). Pharmacists can also see patients for physicals, sight/hearing exams, and other minor assistance.

2. Pharmacists are in high demand, have been for awhile, and will continue to be because the certified schools are very limited and can only enroll a limited amount, far less than what is needed.

3. The salary is extremely well. Most making upwards of $100,000/year

Cons:

1. Getting into pharmacy school is relatively hard. You'll have to have excellent grades in chemistry and math. You'll also need to take the PCAT. From what I've heard though, once you get in, getting through isn't too bad.

2. The current president is making huge efforts to reform health care. Who knows how it may effect pharmacy?

Thats all I can really think of right now. Hope I helped. If you have the will and patience to get through school, I'd say go for it. Thats the only thing I'm questioning. I may pursue something else that I can get to quicker.

EDIT: As far as drug testing, I dont really know. I would only imagine retail pharmacists drug testing you regularly. Hospital pharmacists may get tested once when they are hired, but I guess it really depends more on the hospital/drug store/drug company.

8. Take a wide breadth of GE classes in college and you'll probably land in a class that you find very interesting. Pursue a career that applies to that class (or set of classes). Above all, do what you like and not what will make the most money.