Need some pointers on switching to HLG 550

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ancient3328, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Hey guys,

I am currently using WAY too much electricity at my house and its beginning to stress me out. Where I live we have hot summers and super cold winters so I get both sides of the coin. I currently have 5 600 watt HPS lights being used, an 18000 btu AC, 4 6 inch inline fans, 3 oscillating fans, and an HLG 60 watt LED for my clones. Needless to say, I am trying to cut costs where I can.

My question(s) are for starters, are the alibaba versions of the HLG 550 v2 comparable to the real deal? I mean at 300 bucks a pop I could buy 3 for the price of one real one. My intuition says they're most likely extremely close to the real deal but i wanted to check. Secondly, how much heat do they give off as opposed to the HPS lights i have now? Would they need to be vented somehow? I do have a carbon filter sucking air out of the room and exhausting it but I am just trying to figure out if what I have will be adequate. Third, do they really give similar yields to HPS? And lastly, what is the minimum wattage I could use in my veg room (starter veg)? I currently have a 600 watt HPS dimmed to 300 in there but again I'm trying to cut costs where I can.

If anyone else has ANY ideas at all I am all ears. Thank you guys a ton!

2. you can for sure cut costs in the veg room by running LED! I'm not sure how big your Veg tent is but if you are currently running 300 watts you could easily veg under 150 watts of LED and it would produce almost zero heat. Your flower situation is a bit of a different beast. Far as cutting costs by buying from Alibaba I would refer you to @HardDrive He's grown under knockoff LEDs for a few runs now and has some nice results. I personally would replace 5 of the 6 lights with LED but still leave one HPS bulb running as you get some nice benefits of added UV and IR and better penetration into the canopy. The LEDs will still produce a decent amount of heat, the beauty of the LED is the ability to dim them during peak hours to reduce that heat or just add more boards to run them all at a lower wattage to elminate the extra heat all together.

3. Check this light out. Two pcs of them can replace 600W HPS light. It will help you save a lot of power bills. :love-m3j:

4. It's only compared to a 400 watt on the link.
    I ain't had one so I can't say, but I do have those in the link I posted and they kick ass I'll never run HID again