need some new hobbies

Discussion in 'General' started by Neon Opal, Aug 5, 2011.

1. All the hobbies I'm into are art-related, and I depend on the use of my hands. How bad is the situation with your hand? Do you lack manual dexterity, or strength?

I would suggest sculpting, but that requires both of those things, for details and because clay can be pretty stubborn.

Really, I can't think of anything. I sat here for 15 minutes trying to think of something, and everything I thought of involves the use of your hands. It made me really thankful to have mine, and also a little scared of losing them. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

One thing I came up with was writing. Poetry maybe or short stories. You don't necessarily use your hands, you can find programs that will transcribe your voice into text.

2. Riding public transportation for extended periods of time, easy and cheap, new friends guaranteed!

Sorry, it's the best I could think of, it is true though, fun... Probly not

3. Continum- yeah it really makes you think about the use of your body- even getting me to walk again in the hospital (which came faster) you don't realise all the little thing that go into taking a step that you never think about- bend your knee, lift your hip squeeze your butt muscles put down you heel, roll to the ball/toe,,,

I love art too and had started taking some classes again about 6 years ago -found a great teacher at a low cost place. Being right handed it just won't work now. Can't even really hold a paintbrush enough for an abstract (which I actually like doing. It's not even back enough to mess around with. The therapist has me coloring with big crayons- I'm gust at the point after 8 months were I can kind of stay in the lines on the really simple non detailed toddler pictures- improvement over the scribbles only of 5 months ago- still can't wrtie more them a couple words. Still hoping it will improve more.Was hard to type even before but I always write poems and have written short stories and even a novel. Have to get WORD on this computer as I really have been getting inspired to write again the past couple months.
    Has anyone used those voice activated programs like "Dragon Naturally Speaking"?

4. I've been collecting comic books for the past 10 years or so, yeah its a geeky as hell hobby but I don't care. Reading comics while you're blazed is pretty cool especially if its anything by Allan Moore (V for Vendetta, From Hell, Watchmen).