Need some help

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by ivache, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hey guys,i just dropped my laptop at a pc repair shop and i l
    payed a bunch of money for a full repair procedure including reinstall,changing the thermal paste,cleaning the dust and some other stuff,and i was thinking how can i be sure that these guys will do everything i payed them for?And not just reinstalling it to screw me over.Its a common practice here in my country(pretty corrupted and awful)So do u think its a good idea if i open it afterwards to see if they did their job as intended?

2. i would look up on the net on how one would replace the CPU on your laptop. then after watching the video, just start taking some of the screws out and see if it looks like someone took it apart. if it looks like it was apart then i would bet they replaced the thermal paste. typically though, you don't ever have to do that. ever. unless you replace the CPU or CPU's heatsink and fan. then by default you would have to.

i worked on computers for too many years to count. there was never a single time i had to "just replace the CPU heatsink compound / thermal grease" to get better cooling. typically a laptop is already as cool as it will get and while yes, you can absolutely get better cooling with the proper thermal compound like say arctic silver, the laptop wont see much improvement because you are pushing fan speeds and air flow enough to count for that. the company who made these laptops engineered all off that shit into the design of them. with that said, sometimes the "thermal pad" they use at the factory instead of using compound can cause excessive heating. but honestly, it is more like the CPU fan gave out and that is why they had to replace the heat sink compound. replacing one causes the other to be replaced as part of the procedure.

the best way to see if they did the work is to pull some of the screws out around the case. remember that you need to find directions on how to do this stuff so that you can access the same parts of the laptop as the company who worked on it. this can be challenging and dangerous as far as your laptop continuing to work goes so be fucking careful! always remove the battery from the laptop when taking the case apart, always! make sure the power adapter is also unplugged. this means the laptop will need to be off. if you are removing screws and they have all kinds of gunky shit around them and look like they were never removed, then they probably weren't. post back any questions you may have. good luck bro!

3. What kind of laptop is it? What issues were you having with it?

4. Hey man, to be honest, you would need to open up the laptop. However, there is no real standard when it comes to the tear downs with laptops. Opening a laptop is not anything like opening a Desktop PC. It is very easy to fuck something up (Case wise),(Also just touching chip/ circuits can cause electrostatic discharge and can cause damage that will not be apparent right off the bat.)*Use anti static wrist straps/pads* Sometime you will start off with the bezel around the keyboard and work your way around. To save yourself some grief, try to look up tear downs on youtube or online, on like fixit. Don't trust "Geek Squad" to fix your shit. I assume that you have taken your PC to a local shop because that sounds like it would be out of "Geek squads" scope. See if you can get a geeky friend to help if you can. If you can't find a tear down, and you are determined to open the laptop to take a look, be gentle and go slow. Some laptops have a circuits/chips that will allow you to check the temp, and you can go from there. Were they going to reinstall an OS for you?

5. P.S

I fucking hate Geek Squad.

They call in to call centers to get support. For the most part, they have no fucking idea what they are doing.

6. Yeah from the posts above I would have to say your lappy toppy is most likely fubar.
    Good news, however! Moore's law creates laptops with better speed/tech/space/speed/abilities/speed/newness and such at much cheaper prices today than they used to be. Average price point of a decent solid Laptop to replace even a desktop is roughly $300.

Don't buy into insurance scams, they are all protectionist scams. Geek Squad is just an idea to make you think your purchase is worth more than it should be. With that in mind...

[​IMG]