Need some help on how to imagine artwork.

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by n0warning, Sep 13, 2011.

1. So tommorow im pickin up a OQ for 60 of some dank (wohoo love Canadian prices) . Anyways I really enjoy drawing but I can never come up with my own designs! Any tips on how to visualize designs?

2. One thing I do from time to time is find a design that I really like so I look at it for a few minutes then don't look at it anymore, wait a 30 min to an hour (more sometimes) then try and redraw it as best as I can from memory. Of course you can't remember all the details which forces you to improvise and add your own details and style to the drawing. After a while you start looking at whats there less and less and adding your own stuff more and more until finally your making your own designs from scratch.

Most of the time really great designs happen by accident. Often from starting out thinking something like "I want to draw a Knight in armor on a horse." the rest and I might add the coolest stuff in that drawing will happen as part of the details added as you draw that Knight in armor on a Horse.

Don't try to visualize the whole design or scene just think I want to draw this and just do it and see what happens along the way :D

3. Oh man that was just straight up good advice. Tbh my best drawings have been from just me trying to draaw something and it turned out diffrent. After I pick up my QO tommorow and finishe my homework im def gona hit up a drawing sesh :bongin:

4. For me music and art go together. I play some songs that I have strong emotional reactions to and I try to paint the song. I don't really know how to describe it but music is good inspiration for sure.

5. Are you high when you do this? srs question!

6. fantastic advice man, i never got into artwork (more musical kinda guy) but this sounds great

7. Not always. :p

8. I'm so glad I could help. I'm an Artist by profession so there are a lot of tips, tricks and ideas I've learned over the years and as corny as this sounds any chance I have to help young/new Artists I take it.