Need some help figureing out whats wrong with my plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by The Great Ganja, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Take a look at a few pictures
    [​IMG]
    By thegreatg, shot with LG-VX8700 at 2008-08-31
    The leaves right here are twisted and dried out i believe its like the second or third leaf set

[​IMG]
    Same thing just a different leaf

[​IMG]
    Pretty much all of the leaves ends are tilting down like this

[​IMG]
    Real good view of the leaves tilting down

[​IMG]
    And right here (sorry for shitty picture quality) little spots are brown and dried out quite a bit...Any one know what the cause of all of this might be?

2. It looks a bit like pH twist to me, but you didn't give much info in your first post. Could you elaborate a bit, telling us details like light amount/type, soil brand, ferts you're using (if any), pH of your water, runoff pH, etc.?

3. light is 3 30w cfls and one 40w cfl and also a tube light with the color temp 6500, soil brand is a type of miracle grow cant quite remember but it was recommended to me, no ferts, and dont know bout ph just using good ol plain tap water

4. Two things:

1. Tap water is not always good. There are all kinds of things that different local governments put into them, along with other additives that can come from things like old pipes, well water, etc.

2. It is very important that you know what kind of Miracle-Gro soil you're using. If it's potting soil, then it'll have a lot of nutrients in it which can really screw up a grow, as well as altering soil chemistry (like pH).

My diagnosis is that it's a pH problem. pH can cause the twisting in the leaves that you're noticing, and can also cause brown spots like the ones in your pictures. Miracle Gro soil often has ferts in the soil, but since you haven't noticed a problem before now I don't think that that's it, and the twisting isn't all that typical of fert burn.

My advice is to buy a water filter from a store like Target or Wal-Mart (about $40, depending on the quality you want), and prepare filtered water for your plants with it. This will get rid of a lot of solutes in the water that could be modifying the pH. This will stop your water from causing further damage to your plants.

You should also consider going to a garden store and buying a cheap soil pH tester (about $10) to get a general idea of the pH of your soil (the cheap ones aren't great, but it's better than guessing). You can then use various substances available at a grocery store to help modify the pH of your soil, and you can look up what items increase/decrease pH in a number of grow guides. I wouldn't recommend buying pH up/down unless you also buy a tester capable of reading the pH of your water.

5. This is why I like holes in the bottom of my pots for good drainage on a saucer which helps control pH.. But runs the bill on nutrients.. Also I am having this same problem with control of my pH.. You can see it at the end of my thread in my sig.. But I can not solve the issue.. Yours is one of the most comparable I have seen...