need some help, diagnosed with depression and ADD

Discussion in 'General' started by smooth08, Feb 13, 2007.

1. i have recently been diagnosed with moderate depression and ADD, and given medications for both. my doctor is pretty anti-weed, and said that i should not smoke while on the meds for a couple of months at least. he says it will "interfere" with the meds im taking. i need some advice on if to smoke or not. i mean i want to listen to him because hes my doctor, but i dont really think its gnna be that big of a deal.....:confused:

2. What do you think you should do? Try the weed with the meds and if you don't like it don't do it.

3. as long as there isnt going to be negative effects i say go for it, but do your homework just to be safe. if you dont like your meds and weed helps you could also look into getting a MMJ card

4. How well do you trust your doctor? How long have you know him or her?

Hurling drugs at you just because you have slight symptoms of ADD and Depression (correct me if I'm wrong but that's what it sounded like) may be a little negligent on the part of your doc. I could go into the side effects of many of the popular drugs for ADD and especially depression, but it would have more of an impact if you see the experiments for yourself. Feel free to PM me, though.

I know this is not as easy as poppin pills, but the following "treatments" are often much more effective for mild ADD... not to mention that they are actually beneficial for your body:

Avoiding high glycemic foods which spike your blood sugar
    -Simple Carbs like candy and non whole-wheat/grain breads, many breakfast cereals... Try to eat more complex carbs instead of simple ones

Meditation.... there are many online resources that will show you the basics. It's hard to stress the positive effects of meditation on all levels of your body; it is also one of the most effective remedies for anxiety and stress.

Excersise... Get that excess energy out of you. It will give you a better night sleep and a host of other benefits. Another one that cannot be stressed enough

Depression also benefits from all of those, but it can also be helped by using supplements and vitamins:

Get a good multi-vitamin... having deficiencies in B, D, C, etc. negatively affects your mental state.

Start taking fish oil... there's a lot of research supporting the benefits of fish oil for treatment of depression.

There are other supps that are good, but i think it's more important to rely on yourself to overcome your slight depression...

Gettign involved (as cliche as it sounds) in ANYTHING is beneficial. Start babysitting dogs for a week, build furniture/computers/car systems/etc, help the homeless and needy, start a bodybuilding routine, anything at all.

It can be a bitch at first but if you follow some of this advice you wont even need the meds.

As for weed... what i've read (mostly anecdotal) it does not help. It generally increases anxiety and may further the distance between you and others which is especially bad for depression. Its good to have friends during depressed times.

Honestly though, if you drop the meds and incorporate meditation, a good diet/supplementation, and excersise into your routine you will be able to smoke weed with no interference and possibly even benefit from it... after all, it does help you laugh more.

I hope this helped and feel free to PM me if ya got any questions

good luck

5. that dude said a lot^ so im sure he knows his shit, which i dont in this case, but ill throw in my 2 cents.

basically, i would think weed would help with the add, as in chill you out, but it would probably make your concentration worse,

for depression, it can depend. people have very different experiences with weed and depression, only you willbe able to know if its comfortable.

in all honesty though, i can almost garuntee you that there wont be any real physical affects, itll be more if you dont feel good from smoking, than it messing your head up

6. what did they prescribe you to?

7. it really depends what they prescribed you, so what is it?

8. What are you depressed about? Seriously?

How old are you? I am assuming in your Teens? IF that is the case, what normal teenager doesn't have mild depression and some form of ADD?

I know I sure did all through out high school. My parents made me go to a psychologist for the same shit when I was 16. After explaining to him why I smoked weed, he basically told my parents he condoned my smoking. That was the first, last, and only time I went to a psychologist. I consider myself lucky, as most doctors would readily supply parents will all kinds of drugs designed to "correct" adolescent behavior.

Ask your parents what kind of drugs they were prescribed for depression...they will probably tell you that they didn't. That such conditions weren't an issue back then. I know my parents after recalling their youth couldn't remember anyone they knew that had been diagnosed with ADD or depression.

Its the drug companies propaganda. Tell you their is something wrong with you, so they can sell you their "cure".

Now-a-days it seems there is a pill for everything.

9. that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
    you clearly don't have depression
    it's not something like (i'll go with the "emo" stereotype), it's so much more. and in most cases anit-depressants help.

10. do what 4ction said and blow smoke in your docters face

11. Three pointer!

12. I completely agree. The modern drug industry doesn't stop at marketing all day all night on TV , Magazines , Radios , Etc. They make a drug, Then create the disorder for it!! This is a horrible situation inflicted on to the American Public. I will never be put onto an RX until I am 100% educated on the drug itself.

13. i am refusing to take anything. its bullshit.

14. yeh trust me if u want to do anything about depression go kick ur doctor in the balls for giving u w/e pills he gave you, anti-depos are worse than heroin in my book. seriously they dont work, mabey for the short time but they will make it 9000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    000000000000000000000000000000000 times worse trust me.

15. The FDA and the Pharmaceutical Industry is out there to help you! Just look at these stats...:eek:

Pharma. Budget:

COMPANIES: LOBBYING: RESEARCH:
    Pfizer: \t$16.90 billion $7.68 billion
    GlaxoSmithKline: \t$12.93 billion $5.20 billion
    Sanofi-Aventis: \t$5.59 billion $9.26 billion
    Johnson & Johnson: \t$15.86 billion $5.20 billion
    Merck: \t$7.35 billion $4.01 billion
    Novartis: $8.87 billion $4.21 billion
    AstraZeneca: \t$7.84 billion $3.80 billion
    Hoffman La Roche: \t$7.24 billion $4.01 billion
    Bristol-Myers Squibb: \t$6.43 billion $2.50 billion
    Wyeth: \t$5.80 billion $2.46 billion
    Abbott Labs: \t$4.92 billion $1.70 billion

http://www.newstarget.com/019497.html

Seriously tho, try to implement some good dietary and excersise habits into your life... it's not just good for depression. It really makes you feel "alive" and for me I don't get "burn-out" from weed anymore.

16. By the way, more research money was spent developing cures for RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME!!!!AHHHH! than finding a cure for HIV in 2005.

17. ADD ain't shit. Everyone and their brother got it. I got ADHD (attention deficite hyperactivity disorder) and recently stopped taking my meds. I've learned to force myself to focus on my studies. and smoking doesn't interfere with my meds, but then again i've taken them for years. Just don't smoke untill you feel familiar with it's affects, which (i'm guessing) would be about a week or two. It'll give you a nice tolerance break so you'll good and high for the next time you smoke.

18. I have to COMPLETELY agree with this, as well as the lengthy post above.

I also think that solving your own problems without pills helps build character and will aid you in the future. And that is easier said than done, but I have gone through serious bouts of depression and very high anxiety many times throughout my life, I've never seen a shrink, never took a pill, I just worked out what was bothering me and made the best of it. I'm not saying you can go out and solve all your problems, but I try to keep the attitude that every situation no matter how bad I try to be happy about or at least make the best of it. Life isn't fair, you can get over it or kill yourself, but I strongly strongly strongly believe that pills are the weak way out, no offense. I came close to seeing a shrink and getting prescribed myself but I realized what I just told you.

19. restless leg syndrome is rediculous. can i just b a major hooch and call it restless vagina syndrome?

20. add, adhd and restless leg syndrome are all crocks of crap, they just make medicine for it becuase EVERYONE has it, what they should do is make a pill that gives you add adhd and R.L.S

cuz those are the people that have something wrong with them ha