Need some guidance.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Siyeed, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello all, not sure if this is the right forum but I feel like you guys could help me the most so here it goes.

I'm a senior in high school, my time for deciding what to do with my life is running out pretty quick, or at least that's what most people are saying. My problem is a common one, I'm undecided, uneducated and afraid to commit on something like this and so I've pushed it off acting like I had all the time in the world. I guess my biggest worry is wasting time, I don't want to wake up 5-6 years down the road and realize I took the wrong path.

I'm just looking for some direction or advice for taking this step from those who've done it, and I feel like most here share many of my interests. I'm not really concerned with wealth but I would definitely like to travel as much as possible, see as many different cultures and people as I could. Culture, humanity, ethics, morals etc. interest me greatly as well as spirit and the mind, things such as the subconscious, perception, higher levels of consciousness I really like to explore and learn more of. One firm belief I do have is improving the trio of mind, body and spirit. I feel like that is the key to living successfully and happily, yet can't figure out the not so obvious details.

Long story short, any tips for a kid soon graduating and taking the next step in life? Career suggestions or opinions of your own if they relate to any of my interests? Sorry for the long post, just wanting to take hold for once. I know a year of smoking is little compared to many of you but even in this short period of my life it has opened up so much already, cast aside so much ignorance, and showed me I would get nowhere without working for it.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Do what you love. I can give you no better advice than this. Life is too short to waste it being unhappy.

3. Go to your local community college and take a few general education courses. Most colleges have career guidance councilors who will give you a batch of tests to help you find out where you belong!

Find a job you LOVE and it isn't work!

I honestly enjoy my job! (I work in Special Education) Most folks "burn out" in my profession within 5 years. I am in my mid-60s and have been doing this type of work since I was a "student helper" at age 11! I have no plans to quit and feel like I could do this for another decade or two (if my body holds up!).

Granny

4. I feel u bro, I'm in my 3rd year of college and still am not really sure. Thought I wanted to do something in nutrition but now I'm sick of the field.

Now I think I want to open a diner, but last night I had a dream that I got a scholarship to KFC ( which in dream world was like a huge foot in the door in the restaurant business or something like that) but the whole dream I spent deciding who to give it away to because in e dream, deep down, I didn't want it.

I'm at a rough spot in my life right now, good luck with yours

5. Society has this preset idea of what you're supposed to do at certain ages and such, and anyone who does them too late is lazy or whatever, and anyone who gets to them early is a 'genius' or eager. Really though none of that means anything. Live life at your own pace. If you let others set standards for you, you'll constantly feel under pressure to measure up to them, when really it's just an imaginary thing people come up with to keep you motivated and 'in line'.

6. Yep, who said there's a 'right path', when in all actuality all paths could be the right one. :smoke: