Need some computer help

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by DutchX8, Mar 3, 2009.

1. I have a Macbook Pro running Windows, and I downloaded an iso file of Fallout 3 onto the Mac partition (long story, but I can't easily download it on the Windows side). Now I want to get the iso file (~6gb) onto the Windows partition. My recordable DVDs are about 1gb too small to hold the file, and my LaCie external hard drive only works with Macs (i'm creating another thread about this hard drive if you want to help me out there). So i'm in a bit of a pickle. I can see both the hard drives (Mac and Windows) on my Mac desktop, if I drag the iso file into the Windows hard drive, will it be there when I log into Windows?

Thanks for any help.

2. Yes, OS X enables the ability to access other filetypes, especially in other partitions. When I hacked Mac OS X onto my old HP laptop, I had Windows on one hard drive and OS X on the other and I could still access Windows while running OS X.

In short, yes.

Just remember where you put it

3. So if I drag the iso file into the Windows partition on my Mac desktop, i'd be able to retrieve it when I log into Windows?

4. That's correct. However, make sure you aren't dragging it into a folder that needs a password to access it because sometimes Windows is anal about that. Either way, the only real way to know is to try haha.

5. There's a ton of files in the Windows hard drive, only one of which is named "Windows". Others are "Documents and Settings" or "Program Files". Should I put the iso in one of those folders, or just drop it into the hard drive without a folder? If so, where would I look for it once logged into Windows?

6. #6 DutchX8, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    I just tried to drag it into the "desktop" folder and it wouldn't let me.. I got a message saying that "desktop" cannot be modified. Is there any way to change that?

7. Sorry about that, I was eating dinner.

I bet you couldn't drop it onto your desktop because of the security permissions. I would drop it right inside the Windows hard drive (it should have Windows, Program Files, Users, similar folders) just drop it in there. Since Windows can recognize the Iso as a file, you'll be able to see it once you log in to Windows.