need some advice on topping

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by The Activist, Apr 2, 2013.

1. When is the best time to top your plant? I have heard a few things depending on the number of nodes. Today I topped my week and a half old seedling that was nearing it's next node, so I just cut off the top and now it's just 4 surrounding leaves and some undergrowth. Any help is appreciated

2. lol if you already did it advice isnt gna do you much good

3. Thanks for your input

4. I like to grow my plants into a screen over several months of vegging so I top at about the third full node. This gives me 6 stems to grow out into the screen. Sometime I let it grow higher and take a clone off the top.

5. I have trouble grasping what officially A node is

6. Ok so leave starting areas basically? I think I topped mine pretty well, I'm just not sure if I should just keep 2 75w of daylight cfl or hps 430w for an almost 2 week old plant

7. The node is where the petiole meets the stem.

8. Ahh I topped mine on the second node then, she seems to be doing really well so I'm not sure what the outcome will be. I have

ForumRunner_20130402_234111.png

ForumRunner_20130402_234123.png
    some old pics from 6 Hours ago when I performed the cut, but it looks a lot better now. Starting tomorrow again with hid and cfl combo

9. I usually wait until mine have a nice sturdy stalk before chopping on it. Once you have a good root structure and fat stalk you can chop the shit out of it and it will survive.

10. So I probably did it a little early

11. Yours are fine - looking good. My point is once they have a nice fat stalk it is actually hard to kill them. I chop the crap out of my mothers and keep them bonsai size.

12. Thanks man, yea I woke up today and the girl I topped was looking amazing. I've heard a lot of different perspectives thanks I appreciate the help.

13. That was really good for reference haha, probably one of the better topping people posts. Now I think I fim'd my plant instead of topped, it still looks crazy healthy so I'm just going to see her new growth and then post another picture of the progress

14. I am glad to know this.