Need some advice on setup please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kymypoontang, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

First post on here. Im looking at seting up a small grow for my own personal use, maybe around 3-4 plants.

I have my eye on a small grow tent which measures 0.9m long .6m wide 1.6m tall. Im looking at putting this in a small enclosed room type thing under the house but behind a wall ( ive made a pannel door into this opening), Its a very cool and aerie opening that I have made light proof ( besides the tent should be light proof as well).

I have two questions:

1, What kind of light system is going to be effective in that size tent? Im worried about the heat of a hps system ( and the cost of bulbs here in NZ) and I just don't want to fry the plants when they are small.

2, Am I really going to need a carbon filter? 3-4 plants in a enclosed room in a grow tent. But hey I don't want the neighbors knowing either lol. Will the exhaust fan that the filter is connected to help with heat problems as well?

Any help is appreciated, btw Im not looking to mix and match light setups i.e have CFLs for veg and hps for flower, I want to keep it to just one setup. I dont mind getting MH bulb tho. budget is medium.

Cheers.

2. Would two 125 watt cfls work? one 6500k one 2700k, using both for the whole grow?

3. I dont know much about cfl because I only use hps during the whole
    Time. May be others will answer your question.

4. Thanks for stopping by my grow kympoontang:wave:

My setup is all CFL's (and two cool white floro tubes).

I have seen many of the folks who use CFL's use 4 6500K (27 actual Watts or better) per plant. Some include the 2700K bulbs as well.
    Others include 6500K bulbs when they flower, of course the 2700K bulbs should outnumber the 6500K for flowering.

example Veg: 4 x 6500K(27W) + 1 or 2 2700K(27W)
    example Flower: 4 x 2700K(27W) + 1 or 2 6500K(27W) as side lighting

Hope this helps. I find the temps are not as much of an issue with these bulbs. I keep them 2 inches away from the tops of the plants. I have read several places that when CFL's are more than 6 inches away, they become less effective.

5. for 3-4 plants 2 CFL's will not be close to enough. i havnt started my grow yet but i am looking at about the same thing you are. Everyone is suggest 3-4 bulbs per plant roughly

edit: also CF's effectiveness drops off dramatically after more than a few inches, so you need to keep them close