Need Some Advice On my First Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zachp415, Sep 26, 2013.

1. So iv'e recently decided to buy 5 feminized Northern Light seeds from Nirvana. This is my (along with my girlfriends) first grow and we were in need for some advice. 
    \nWe planned on doing a small closet grow for personal use, but that doesn't defeat the point we want to grow some quality bud. Right now I have 4 60watt CFL's and a decent set up for keeping the plants ventilated while they grew. 
    \nMy main questions involve what type of soil, nutes, and lighting I should use during my veg and flowering stages. I'm trying to keep it low budget but iv'e read the soil/nutrition is a key part of having a successful grow. I plan on buying the PH adjuster kit to keep mysoil and nutes around a 6. 
    \n\nThanks

2. Hey man! Usually you find all information around this community if you do some research. :)

I am on a crazy project right now for some amazing weed. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1249051-The-Journey-of-indoor-scrog---New-SuperKush-w/-pics-*Enjoy Subscribe to my thread and check out during these days!
    Maybe you catchup some tips and tricks as well.

I will put up my setup as well as how much spent on supply etc. :)

Peace n' Love! :)

3. Zach,

It sounds like you're asking us to tell you how to grow.   No offense, please, but if you knew how many questions we get like this, you'd understand how difficult it can be to answer everyone individually like this.   Please read all the stickies in these forums so you can get a better idea of what your goals are with your grow, and which direction to take it.   If you have more specific questions about a particular subject, we'd be glad to answer that for you.

Until then, I would suggest hydroponics, rather than soil.  Please do some research on the following:

Hempy Buckets
    Lucas Formula

These two, together, will give you an excellent entry into not only growing, but growing hydroponically. 

Cheers,
    Past

4. It really depends on how simple you want to keep it .  I like to keep it simple. I will give you the simple method. Just because it is relatively simple does not mean an inferior grow.

For your seedlings buy a "cutting and seed" mix of soil.  (any brand will do)
    For your plants buy a good organic soil.  ( Fox Farm is good, Roots Organic is better)
    Buy a good organic fertilizer one for vegging and another for flowering.  You can skip the veg fertilizer( soil should have plenty of nutes for veg. some will tell you the soil has enough for flower and it might) Your call. Depends on budget. (General Organics is good)
    For budget reasons, the light you have will work for veg and flower.

I would skip the ph adjuster and just get a meter. Rarely do you ever have to adjust. In fact at this point for budget reason, I wouldn't buy the meter either. You can save that untill later and get one only if and when you need it.
    Later on when you can afford it you can do better lighting.

Thats all you really need, other than more knowledge.

I do soil but hydro is good also. I'm not sure if hydro can be as easy as soil. so I'll let somebody that has done both to answer that.

5. Thanks for the suggestions! 

Am I guessing these two fertilizers is all I would need? :

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-FloraGro-Fertilizer-1-Quart/dp/B000BT3UAM/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden&srs=3029221011&ie=UTF8&qid=1380234399&sr=1-7&keywords=general+hydroponics

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-FloraBloom-Fertilizer-1-Quart/dp/B0012V3PO4/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&srs=3029221011&ie=UTF8&qid=1380234399&sr=1-2&keywords=general+hydroponics

And when it came to watering the plant, wouldn't purified tap water have too high of a ph? I thought most tap was around  7-7.5 ph 

6. Also would it be wise to add perlite to the mix? 

7. Those fertilizers appear to be for hydro not soil. I don't think those were organic either. If your going organically.
      Soil tends to lean to the acid side, but the commercial soil has buffers.Tap water is fine. I believe ph should for soil be 6.5 to 7.5. If I'm wrong somebody will correct me.
    Yes most soil mixes need perlite added to them. Roots Organic does not need any extra. So it all depends. I like my 6" pots to dry faster so I mix 50% more perlite even to Roots Organic.

Ok thanks for clarifying that. What are the advantages of adding that much more perlite? 

9. I am about to plant 4 of the exact same seeds and I am using 100% Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil along with the Fox Farm line of nutes (the set of 3)

10. That soil may be a bit too hot for seeds, ok for a more mature plant.

11. I only add that much to my 6" so it drys out faster. I am putting new clones that were rooted in root cubes into the 6". Their roots are not really established and the looser (aerated) soil makes their transition easier.

12. Keep it simple. Promix five gallon buckets. Earthworm castings to mix in the promix. Get a bottle of grow and a bottle of bloom. IMO get organic nutes they're easier to deal with and an hps is what you'll need to grow awesome buds your first time around. I keep six plants under two six hundreds and they get beastly. Keep it simple the first time and start to tinker the second time. But don't add too much shit to the equation or you'll have no idea what's doing what. Good luck to you and your girl.

13. I do have an unopened bag of Fox Farm Seed Starter but I have no experience using it (ie it was given to me and I don't even know like if u have to mix it with something)?

U know anything about their Seed Starter line?

14. . I'm not familiar with their starter, but it should be ready to go.