Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

need some advice on marijuana and depression

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by randgen, Sep 7, 2009.

1. #1 randgen, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009
    I've been smoking fairly regularly now for about a year and a half and I really see the beneficial values of marijuana when it comes to dealing with depression. During this time I've been slipping in and out of mild depression and I've been experimenting with how marijuana can be used to alleviate it.

Basically, whenever I toke up when I'm feeling depressed it shifts my mindset from negative to positive thinking and I feel that during the high this positive outlook on things make the negative feelings fade and after the high wears off I'm left not even understanding what I was so depressed about in the first place.

I don't consider smoking an escape (as in having to smoke all the time to not feel depressed) but rather a way to break negative patterns of thinking and replace them with positive thoughts.

So here's the real issue: Lately my older brother's been going deeper and deeper into what seems to be VERY heavy depression. He's had episodes of not even being able to get out of the house to go to work for like 10 days straight. I'm afraid he's suicidal and on the verge.

So, knowing how the good ganj has helped me out in times of need I really wanna talk to him about it and maybe offer to smoke with me. I'm not sure how he will react and what his stand when it comes to marijuana is but I'm pretty sure he won't go nuts or anything (keep in mind I come from a conservative christian type of family and my parents are VERY anti pot). I know he doesn't want to go on antidepressant meds but I don't think marijuana compares. It makes you deal instead of covering shit up..

I wrote this to ask the opinion of others on how I should deal with this? I know marijuana can be prescribed for depression but It might not be a good idea when you're already so deep into the depression. I'm thinking anxiety issues and such could cause him to have a really bad experience which could make things worse. But then again, Me and my bro have very similar minds and we usually think alike about most things so I think there's a good chance he'll love it as much as I do. I'm just not sure if it's the right time to bring it up..

Could really use some advice!

2. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean the worst he could say is no and if he says yes like you said maybe it will cheer him up. Too me it sounds like you got nothing to lose so go for it man!

Post back what happens and I hope your bro starts feeling a little better.

Oh and if he refuses the bud get him an Xbox and Call of Duty and let him take his anger out on killing some people a la Xbox Live, works wonders for me haha.

3. I would deff push him to smoke, from past experiences it has proven it self very valuable, im talking of a certain friend from last year who sounds like your bro!
    Anyways just make sure when and if yall toke up, keep everything posative, make sure hes excited for the experience and not depressed! Surround him with food, haha that always helps me!
    All the best report back!

4. ya man i'd explain to him how you think that it could benefit him then ask him to smoke with you

best of luck

5. smoking can enhance any emotions you are already feeling. it doesn't have to be anxiety related. Him smoking good lead to him being in a more depressed state while high and find himself consumed by it. however, i still advice you to try. if you care for your brother you will look for help for him BUT that does not necessarily mean that MJ is what he needs. keep tokin man. and gl.

6. Yea I wouldn't push him just suggest it.

7. Good luck to your bro man thats too bad. What is causing his depression? The answer to that i think affects if this is a good idea or not.

I think he will enjoy the bud, just make sure he gets high and inhales correctly.

And if you use a bong or something id recommend you dont use it, he may get too high.

8. There's always that one chance that it does the opposite to him; shifting his midset from negative/neutral to extreme negative/suicide, magnifying issues that arnt noticeable when he's sober

9. I would get him a edible, if he doesnt smoke it might be rough on his throat but with an edible it would not be so. ANd if you do not have an edible I would vape or something thats water filtered

10. i dont think an edibale would work. he wouldnt kno what to expect and it might freak him out and you can't control the dosage easily enough. having him smoke ozr vap. i'm in a similar situation with my dad.

11. It's fairly good for depression, but it doesn't work as a cure, only a cover up. A couple years ago I used bud to self-medicate my depression, and when I ran out of bud the problems would seem the same or sometimes even worse. People may say the trick is never running out of bud, but I don't agree. After a while, when I smoked, I would get more depressed because my problems would be very evident. These days, I don't use it as a cover up, but as a mood enhancer. I took some time off bud to deal with my problems, and this definitely helped. Now I don't feel a psychological dependence, and marijuana is much more enjoyable. In the past, when I had bud it would always be smoked quicky. Now I feel much more in control and can save bud for a long time.

12. I've been dealing with depression on and off for the last 13 years.
    For mild depression, smoking helped.
    I'd still be depressed, just didn't care that I was.
    In other words it put the depression in perspective and allowed me to work through it.

When I was severely depressed it did the opposite. It intensified the depression.
    When I was severely depressed I would (and still do) take St. Johns wart daily and wait for three or four days before I'd start smoking again.

13. Wow. I think if you really think your bro will need to also find his joy in life before he can start toking. Or maybe even toking will help him to gather in his joy. My joy is definetly is a smoker but a christian first. I found that out through smoking:)

As for your depression. Don't be so depressed when your sober. I used to myself suffer with depression. Go see a therapist. As you said your parents are very strongly christian and would most likely be glad to help you out financially with to get a therapist to get happier. If therapy is not your deal then I suggest you should ifnd something you ABSOLUTELY love and use it for both being sober and being high.

Hope this helps and I hope I didnt come off as preaching.

14. Using marijuana to treat depression is very iffy and subjective. Marijuana alters your state of consciousness. For some, it can help put people in a different state of neutral to positive thinking. When I mean neutral, I mean that sort of "dead, don't give a fuck" feeling. For others like myself, it can make you more aware of your problems, which in turn, can have the opposite affect. I used to toke everyday for a few years. Like many of us on this board when we were first introduced to marijuana, it was the best feeling ever. Personally, my problems and inhibitions were temporarily paused and that's why I loved it. Then I started smoking more frequently; once in a while goes to once a week which went to all day, everyday. My personal problems didn't go away though; they were only filtered through the haze. I hate to sound like one of those above the influence commericials, but it took me a long time to realize that I, personally, was just using marijuana as an escape instead of confronting my problems. Now I rarely smoke; I don't buy sacks anymore but I gladly take a rip if friends offer.

Again, this is all subjective. Offer it to him. Tell him both the positive and negative affects of marijuana and treating depression. You don't want to be biased. Let him decide if it'll help him. But if he is feeling the way he is, it doesn't hurt to try.

Also a good therapist is a must. Nothing is better than having someone to put everything in perspective for you.

15. Im going to speak from the heart and say to wait before you suggest trying MJ. I'm 21 and attending university right now and I'm typically very busy on a day to day basis, at least I was before I got laid off. Anyways, my busy schedule kind of kept many thoughts/mental states at bay and constantly being with my friends also helped out. For the past 5 years I've been stuck inbetween my parents problems and ultimately their divorce and soon to come my mother moving out for good. If I'm having a questionable day and end up toking, I think theres a 50/50 chance that the issues between them manifest themselves at levels I would not want anyone to experience. Thinking about your family falling apart is bad on its own... then imagine how some good dank bud will make you delve deeper and deeper and deeper still into who? what? how? why? when? and its almost unbearable. I deal by being confident in myself and my abilities and sticking up for my little bro and doing things to make sure his head isnt tangled up in this mess. When I have a bad smoke... its almost impossible to put into words how down I get. So take your bro fishing, go hiking, go on a road trip, go sample some new beers... most importantly COMMUNICATE with him what is causing his depression and let him know that you will help him through it. Only once you have isolated what is causing him to feel shitty can you then proceed on how to treat it, and the treatment may very well NOT be MJ. Just my 2 cents.

16. Ah, so true. Communication is key. You have to address the problem before you even try helping your brother.

17. Well I'll just say this, marijuana is just an incredibly safe alternative to prescription drugs that doesn't work quite as quickly or effectively; but completely harmless.

18. I suggest that if he does agree to smoke marijuana with you, you should play The Beatles' 'Dear Prudence', and explain to him that even though things may seem fucked up, he just needs to take a step back and look at the big picture. Coming from someone who has dealt with severe depression for 3 years, attempted suicide a half dozen times, and dropped out of high school, I can honestly say that I am the happiest now in my life, moreso than I have ever been so before. I think the reason why I can keep a positive outlook on life is because when I had hit rock bottom, I started smoking and drinking to get away from my demons. Although the alcohol only seemed to make things worse, the cannabis opened my mind to see the truth. I realized that we only live once, so why waste it? There is for so much to live for, more than he could possibly imagine.

19. it could work wonders for him man, just give it a go!

20. weed doesnt really get me out of depression. it relieves stress. but ive been really depressed while high before, cus ill dwell on something that i feel guilty about sumthin like that. and if i smoke too much for a while it can put me into a mild depression. so idk. his probly needs to face what it is thats causing his problem. weed might help a little every once in a while, but i dont really think its the solution. sounds like he needs to get out of his head, not delve deeper inside.