Need some advice on Lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ChokedUp, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hey everyone! I'm a long time toker and first time poster, I need some advice on some Lights.
    I currently have 2 SunBlaze T5 H.O Fluorescent Lights (4 Lamps @ 4')and they have worked these past 2 grow cycles, but I'm contemplating getting a couple more set of fluorescent lights so I can bigger and denser buds.

However, I have been browsing ebay and found some HPS + MH switchable ballasts anywhere from 250Watts to 600W, in my price range (around $125 - $250). Anyone have any experience/advice with these puppies?

I'm using T5's because my grow area is a detached garage area (with poor ventilation) and has an older wiring set up. Will the lights cause too much heat or possibly blowout the fuse?

Thanks for the help!

2. Are we talking about a digital ballast or old style with a hm conversion bulb? I'm using a 400w HPS/MH system and my girls love it. They do tend to generate heat unless you have a vented hood, and at those prices you probably wont find a vented hood. There are some diy ways to make one on the cheap. As for blowing circuts i live in a very old house and I have had no problems even with my 1950's wireing. Hope this helps.

3. Yes it is the digital ballast. Does it put out a lot of heat, where it can be a problem?

Thanks

4. 4 bulb T5 is what you have now? If so you could replace that with a 250 watt HPS no problem. They take about the same power as a 4 bulb T5 array so your wiring won't be a problem. The lumen increase would be great though. You're lookin at 33,000 lumens on the HPS vs 20,000 with a 4 bulb T5. You will be much happier with it I'm sure, and it won't produce any more heat than the T5s so you should have no problem at all. If you locate the ballast outside of the grow area it will be even better and will drop your temps from what it was with the T5s.

You could probably make a 400 work also, but I don't know enough about your setup to be able to tell.