need some advice (new auto grow)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Novajx123, Jun 15, 2018.

1. #1 Novajx123, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Hey y’all, this is going to be my third medical grow. I have been growing in smaller pots but never used a smart pot. I have started an easy Ryder auto in a 1 gallon smart pot. Seedling sprouted last night. The smart pot is drying out so fast, I know that’s the point, more airflow to the roots, but she’s so young. I sprayed the top soil this morning because it was dry over a knuckle down

should I turn my small fan off? Watering her every 3 days just seems like it’s bound to lead to over watering.

Current setup:

Soil is FFOF
    1 gallon smart pot
    Small fan to circulate air
    165w full spectrum led lights
    Water ph is 6.3 runoff is also 6.3
    Room temp is 74-78 degrees F.

Attached Files:

2. How far away is your light, straight above will encourage it to go vertical. Don’t use nutrients for the first couple of weeks, Autos don’t like lots of nuets. they can stunt and deform if overdosed, less is more, also watch the humidity, do you keep a cloche over her, cut a plastic bottle in half and place over her, this will increase the humidity to her liking. Don’t worry they usually sort theirselves out as long as you work with her. Good luck its early days...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. #3 Novajx123, Jun 15, 2018
    I’ve got my lights 13inches above. The nutes I’ll be using are FF big bloom, tiger bloom, also have some cal mag. I figure the soil has enough nutes for 3 weeks. My second grow was a lowryder and it did not like nutes at all. Didn’t respond to them either. It finished fine though. I was also dosing nutes at 1/2 strength. I’ll try the plastic bottle thing , thanks. For running 165 Watts is 13inches too close? Far?

• Like Like x 1
  4. When people have just buried their seed, the recommended height is like 25-35inches away from it - in my opinion 13inch for a new seedling is way to close.

Who cares about my input though - i’m on my first grow myself haha. I have done a lot of research though lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. The point of a forum is that we all share, we learn and our collective knowledge grows, your input is appreciated and valid. That said new seedlings are odd, put yourself in their shoes, you just pop up into the world, its like going out into the desert at noon. Their protection to uv and ir light is low. Like a new born baby they need a bit of time to grow the strength they need to survive in the world. If the light is too close its too intense and may damage the young plant, dazzle and confuse it, plants need to sense light above them to get their bearings and so grow upwards. Give it time its tiny....don’t panic just be patient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  6. #6 Novajx123, Jun 15, 2018
    My first 2 small grows I learned a lot about nutes and watering too much. I’m still very new and I’m now focusing on my lighting. I get pretty anxious at times wondering if it’s enough light, if they are getting enough fresh air since it’s in a damn closet lol. Keeping the door cracked at times is the only way to allow it to stay cool. What strain are u growing?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I do have one more question for you. I’ve been reading a lot about advertise watts vs true watts. As far as advertise wattage goes I’m at 165, but in reality I’m Only drawing around 40-50 true watts as of now. i just added a little more lighting recently. I did so much research and am just now figuring out I’m not really giving my grow 165 watts. Feel like such a noob lol. Is this enough for one decent plant? I wanna yield at least an ounce or more. i have a little money to spend. Either a grow tent or add more lighting. Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 HarveyHarvester, Jun 15, 2018
    We want to start autos in their final container. Personally, I think you should use a larger container next time. (i use 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom-sides)

During the seedling stage, the fan is useful for strengthening the stem and blowing the heat away from the light. You really don't need it (unless heats an issue) until the sprout stands up straight, after that, aim it so most of the air blows between the light and plant so only a small amount is hitting the plant to help strengthen the stem... good idea to rotate the plant at each watering so the air don't blow on the same place all the time.

Watering every three days is about right.

Sounds good man, I like pH. to be closer to 6.5 but hear it's good to vary it. If you know exactly what nutrient is needed during each phase of growth (i do not), this chart may prove helpful:
    pH for Soil & hydro.gif

With the actual wattage of your lights, you may need to get it closer. Just watch for stretching as it grows, if it starts growing tall and lanky, lower the lights.
    I use ffof also and it should have plenty of nutrients for a couple-three weeks.

I also grow in a small closet and keep the door cracked with autos. I have a fan blowing in the crack of the door for fresh air as well as fans in the closet for circulation.

That's really not a lot of wattage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. I got the 1 gallon smart pot to try and keep it manageable for my small grow space, maybe I’ll just start doing some topping or lst and go with a bigger pot next time.

That’s how mine is set up, door cracked with fan. I guess I will order some more lights.

I found a ufo 150w (62 actuall watt) light for 42$. U think adding 62 watts is enough? My last 2 noob grows only yielded 20-26 grams each. For the time I put in that’s not a lot. I use it for pain so it goes fast. I wanna yield way more than that this time

10. well, more roots = more bud.
    I'm no lighting expert but more is definitely better for yields. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I yielded right around a pound from two autos and that was my first and only auto grow so far. It was a blueberry kush and a sour liver for the comparative grow... there's a journal thread here someplace. I did however, spend a lot on these lights and made a frame for it. 300 Watt Citizen CLU048 (6) COB Grow Light Kit
    Shop around on that site for lights.

It is a lot of time, effort and money and personally, I would not do it for less than 4oz. per plant.

11. Yea it’s a lot of money and time to get such a small return. I’d be happy with 2-4 ounces compared to the yield I’ve gotten. I will definitely check out that site for lights and get a bigger pot for next time. thanks for all the info.

12. Check out quantum boards too. User Tbone Shuffle has a few very good threads on them in the indoor growing subforum. I also use timber cob LEDs and am extremely happy with them so far.

Edit: here it is

HLG QB120 boards in 3k in stock for $29.

13. Thanks for the link I’ll check those out as well

14. When it comes to watering just be sensible in terms of drowning it. When it’s a seedling for the first week just lightly mist. Then when you can see a little bit of growth and has popped out of the soil, maybe only give it 100ml etc and increase the amount of water slowly. To be honest i use a syringe when i water - it allows you to be alot more accurate and precise of where you water (you have alot more control like that)

Maybe think about using a syringe to help manage your feeding?

Even now with my biggest girl at ~27 days old, i feed her through a 100ml syringe. Sometimes she more thirsty than others. Sometimes i see run off when i feed her 1L sometimes i see run off at 1.2L. Just be sensible :)

I’m growing Auto northern lights buddy :) - she is starting to get smelly lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. The smart pot threw me off a little due to how fast it dries out. I grew in closed pots on my other 2. Thanks for the tip a syringe is a really good idea.

Nice man northern lights auto was my
    First grow. And yea, my NL got smelly over night around day 23/24, walked into my other room and it smelled like pure skunk lol. But it actually went away when she was well into flower. It was weird. Now the last one I grew , bubbleicious, stinky as hell all the way through.

What size pot and kind of lights are u using?

16. Lol my NL are pretty smelly, especially when the lights and carbon filter/fan turn off at night :eek: - people say this strain isn’t that smelly, i’m thinking the complete opposite haha

I don’t know what strain i want to grow next :eek:

I’m using 10L smart pot(s) and the mars hydro 400 in a 70x70x160cm tent

17. It’s less smelly than other strains but it still smells lmao. I really need to get a cArbon filter. I got my new light today. So when I move into my new apartment on Saturday I’ll be running 100 actual watts of full spectrum led (around 315 advertised wattage). Hoping this easy rider turns out nice.

I’m already thinking about my next grow lol. I wanna grow either Jedi kush, lsd-25, blackberry, or gorilla glue. What strains have u been looking at?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Why do you turn the filter/fan off at lights out? I keep mine on all the time.

19. Mate with the carbon filter it masks ALL the smell, when i have that running no1 would ever know i was growing canabis. I would definitely recommend getting a good bran carbon filter. I’m using the phresh carbon filter if i remember the name correctly. Are you not running a carbon filter at all now?

With that new light of yours that will be giving out 100 actual watts, how many plants do you plan to grow under this light?

The reason for that is simply because my grow tent is in the room i sleep in - the LED and filter/fan is quite noisey, when they’re on it is so hard to get sleep lol - also with the times i work, alot of the time i am required to wake up 5:50am, for when i wake up those times i definitely need to get some half decent sleep. Lol

20. Yea I really want one man, it’s the next thing I buy, a nice tent and a carbon filter with an intake fan set up as well. To be honest I might stick with one plant under the light for now until I get a tent. Although I’m sure I may have to up my wattage a bit to grow 2 big plants. 2 little autos might do ok under it. One plant will smell a little less than 2. I’m fortunate to get email letters weeks before my apartment maintenance staff enters my apartment. I’ve had to move an auto once before for a fire alarm inspection. No big deal really. But a tent would be great and way less of a risk of people
    Getting a wiff of that sweet skunky
    Smell lol.