Need some advice and help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by bmxican, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Hey there, I've got just one baby plant that's probably been growing for almost a month if not a month. Its a little over an inch, and the tips of the leaves on the plant are light orangish dead. Idk what the cause of the tips looking like that would be, this small guys looking pretty green and healthy though. If you guys know what that is and whats causing it?
    ,http://tinypic.com/m/a1s5ep/4,blaah:confused: It's just the very end of the leave tip.

2. Can you give some more information?

Is it inside or outside?
    What kind of soil did you use?
    Have you used any fertilizers yet? If so, what fertilizers and how much?
    How often do you water it?
    Do you measure the pH of your water before you give it to the plant? If so, what pH do you use?

3. Holly crap....ok
    It's a outside plant, but I take it inside and shine a light on during the night
    I don't know what type of soil, whats fertilizer? a type of soil?
    I water it probably about 5 times a day, just a little bit every time1/4 a quart of water from my house hose or filtered fringe water.
    Whats ph?

I"ve never planted anything before, 1st timer

I have prayed this Natria spray product for insecticidal soap on it to kill any bugs that might harm my little guy. Its an organic spray thats used for all sorts of plants and vegetables, I only saw a bad side affect when I sprayed it on the plant in direct sunlight. It was one of the 1st small round leaves, and on the spray bottle it says not to spray on in full sun. But ya that's pretty much all the history of my 1 month plant

4. How often should I water my plant?
    And I need some basic beginners advice into the future months of my plant please

5. OK . . . there's a LOT wrong with your setup, I would recommend doing some reading on the internet about growing for beginners. I'll go into a little bit, but you really should do some research on your own.

First, fertilizers are basically food for your plant. People will also call them nutrients, or nutes, or ferts. Once your plant has used up all the nutrients in the dirt it is in, it will need you to give it more. You need to mix the correct amount of these with your water when you water your plant to feed it. You can buy fertilizers at any growing, hydroponic, or other plant stores.

Second, you need to choose whether you want this to be an indoor or outdoor plant and pick a spot to leave it in. Moving it in and out all the time stresses out the plant.

Third, you are watering with a VERY bad technique. When you water, don't just give it a little bit at a time. Water the plant thoroughly until you see water coming out of the drainholes in the bottom of your pot. Then, don't water it again for a few days! Make sure the top 2 inches of soil dry out before you water it again. You definitely don't want to water every day, and especially not 5 times a day!

Fourth, pH. pH measures how acidic or alkaline (basic) your soil and water are. a pH of 7 is neutral, a pH lower than 7 is acidic, and higher than 7 is basic. You want your soil and water to have a pH of 6.5-6.8. This means you will need to buy a pH meter or water test drops (the drops are only like $7). You also need to buy a bottle each of pH UP and pH DOWN so you can adjust the pH of your water before you give it to the plant. You can find all the pH stuff at any grow or hydroponics store.

Fifth, try not to spray too many poisons on your plant. It is OK in the growing stage of your plant but you don't want to use poisons once you switch into the budding phase. If you don't know what the growing and budding phases are, you need to look those up and read up about the life cycle of the marijuana plant. They are also called the vegitative and flowering stages.

This should help get you started, do some reading on your own, you will have a much more successful grow if you have some idea about how it is supposed to work.

6. Yeah, last night I started reading about ph's and printed out the ph chart and reqad up on other beginning growing steps.
    Ok, another question: Is it o k to move my plant from one part of my yard to another part of it?, as the sun when it starts to go done only shines in another part of my yard.

7. Seriously and with all due respect Mex. Try growing a tomato plant in a container on your patio using the techniques described herein for growing MJ. You have to master the basics of plant health and growing a tomato plant is a good exercise in horticulture. Try it, you'll like it. Once you've got that dialed in give your MJ a grow.

8. the less you move your plants the better. the more light they get thebetter.

9. If I were you I would pick the spot that gets the most sun and leave the plant there. You don't want to move it back & forth every day, it won't be happy with that. You might even be able to trim a couple small branches off a tree or something to get an area to have full sun all day. I guess it depends on what is causing the shade. :)

10. This is a great idea, but I can only imagine how it probably sounds for someone new to growing to just trash their MJ plant in order to grow a tomato. :p

Maybe you could try doing both bmxican, the tomato plant will be a lot easier and it will teach you a lot about growing. If something bad ends up happening to the MJ, you'll still be able to watch the tomato plant grow throughout the season. It's really hard to mess up a tomato plant. :D

11. I know. It might be received harshly.

I meant no disrespect. My post intends to reflect the thought that if one can master the basics of container growing a tomato then one can possibly have a successful run at growing MJ. It’s a wonderful feeling of self-sufficiency to be able to cultivate MJ in a controlled environment where the grower is in control of “nature” and must tend to the plants health on every level. The result being a bountiful harvest – perhaps!

I think a lot of well intentioned folks can get too easily discouraged by attempting a grow but in failing to understand and meet basic plant health needs their attempt suffers miserably as a result and they many not try and try and try again. Perhaps it could be labeled the “jack-in-the-bean-stalk” syndrome with new growers just starting out. They plant a seed, give it some water, and expect it to grow into this magical plant. It doesn't work that way. I might have had that syndrome before and I’ve had the syndrome where I’ve overanalyzed and tweaked everything to the point of frustration and failure. There’s a happy medium in between and it takes getting one’s feet wet to experience it. Without doing some basic things exceptionally well nothing but unnecessary challenges will result.

So rather than intending to be a discouragement I encourage Mex to do a bit of study and research by reading the threads in the forums here and other sites and get the basics of growing any plant understood so he can grow good tomatoes and he can grow great MJ. Make sense? At some point the basics have to be in place to be successful for anyone attempting to grow anything. So why not have that happen sooner rather than later. Having a seedling one month old and being one inch tall with orange/dead leaves is not a good place to start.

Good luck Mex!

12. Lol, thanks for the advice guys!! Reading and researching is what I've been doing latley, I bought some all purpose 20-20-20 and put a little bit as instructed and got some ph reading sticks for my water. Like I said it's just the very tips of some of the leafs, just got off work checked out my plant, so green, I love watching it grow and form new leafs every day, its sick. I can only do my research and follow it, hopefully everythings cool. :smoking: