Need methods for pollen collection and storage

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Red Eye, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Hey guys. I got this really resilient little male that grew to flowering despite spending its entire life in shade and overwatered(It grew in a patch of moss, that i watered constantly to try to promote the moss growth). Then when i noticed that it was actually flowering, i just pulled it out of the ground, and threw it into a pot. Took the 'lil bastard inside and, amazingly, it continues to flower. Most sacs have opened, but some remain unopened. I can get a pic if its really needed.

It would be great to have the genes continue, hate to let its efforts go to waste. So, how do i collect the pollen? How should it be stored? And how long will it remain viabe?

Thanks alot for any help
    :wave:

2. Whats up man,to store pollen just get some Q-tips and wipe them on the open flowers and collect the pollen and store it in a glass jar. This method works and is the only one that I've used, and it's also nice to know what strain that the pollen is from. But I'm not sure exactly how long you an store it for. Peace Out man

3. Pollen remains viable only for a couple of days after collection.

4. Couple days? Thats way too fast, almost not worth collecting it then.

Thanx for the replies guys

5. Man if that's true then I've saved mine for the last two weeks for nothing. I might try and use it just to see if it works. But if not, I guess it's gonna be like the last few years keeping my strain alive by taking clones and keeping them indoors until spring.

6. That is right, you are better to leave the pollen on the male until you want to use it. Last year I kept one male going. I shook him into a plastic bag and secured that around one branch of a female, shook the bag, kept it there for a couple of days. I did that twice and got dozens of seeds.

7. Had you actually bothered to READ that link you posted, h4, you would have read that pollen is only viable for 3-5 days.

As has already been stated in this thread.

8. yes i know that. i read it pretty well. But what i meant by pollin being viable for longer then that time period is if there was some special way to store it, unlike the way the guy does in the overgrow faq, with just a plastic bag or w/e.... like maybe flash freezing it but whatever im not a dumbass i did read it, but i like to think outside the box....there's always a way to do something better that not many people know about....and thats what i was looking for...
    peace:smoke:

9. I think you're correct hark.

Storing the baggie in below freezing temperatures would probably increase storage time.

I may try this some day.

10. Pollen CAN be frozen, and if done properly will be viable for at least a year, I just used some I collected last year and it produced viable seed. Go to a garden shop buy your self some row cover. This is a white cloth like matterial which allows air in but is to fine to allow pollen out, make your self a bag big enough to slip over the top of your plant. Use a clear tape to fasten sides together.
    Slip it over the plant and fasten it around the base of the plant , above where the stem meets the soil. Make sure the bag balloons out at the bottom so the pollen has some place to land. You can look through the bag and when the plant is in full bloom give it a good shaking.
    Turn the plant upside down and shake bag again so pollen settles in bottom of bag wait a good five minutes before you open the bag, to make sure all pollen has settled.
    Get some silica crystals, same stuff they use in vitamin bottles, fill a pill bottle about onethird full of crystals, but a bit of cotton wool, and pour your pollen on top seal real well. Put in plastic bag and freeze.