Need light help *poll*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by usgrow, Feb 22, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

option 1 will give me 4716 lumens per sq ft (1 250 watt hps)

option 2 will give me 5488 lumens per sq ft ( 2 150w hps lights)

option 3 will give me 4391 lumens per sq ft (16 23w watt cfls)

my cab is 16 inces deep 52.5 inches wide

im leaning toward using the 2 150w hps due to the 5488 lumens per sq ft and also better spread of light across my cab.

also if i due the 2 150w hps can i use 1 300w digital ballast instead of 2 magnetic 150w ballast.

i will be growing one plant via the scrog method

i want to use the 2 150w hps bulbs but i want a digital ballast. can i use a 400w digital ballast? i doubt i can as there is 100watts not being used. im not familiar with the digital ballast and there design but maybe i can modify the ballast to output 300w. (capacitor change maybe) or a high voltage resistor circuit

2. I don't really know about the ballast, but the only concern I would have is heat. With two 150w HPS in that size box, heat may become a problem. But I would lean toward the two 150's for better production. As long as you can vent it, go for it.

3. i will be using a cool tube instead of the reflector shown. one like this except ill be building it.
    http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=HLRECT4&eq=&Tp=

4. any one have any input about the ballast

5. Oh yeah 2 separate mag ballasts, you do not wanna try and get the voltage to split to from a high watt coil.

6. #7 usgrow, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009

not useing mag ballast

7. definently want a digital ballast

8. Not one of my digital ballasts survived longer then three years and i never saw any lower electric bills. Eventually i phased them all out. ive been through 4 600w future brights and three 600w lumatecs, 2 blue gen and one Purple gen.

Any particular reason your set on digitals?

9. i voted #2

2 remoted 150w ballasts wont be very hot, so im not sure what the problem is with them

and yeah, the 250 wont cover the rim of your plant in a 4.5' box anywhere near like the two 150s will. thats why i said option 2