need legal advice: friend was busted

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by wolfkidz, Dec 5, 2009.

1. basically my friend got caught with a bubbler inside a student housing facility. He had the bubbler in his bag, we were about to go in the elevator the cop said that HE needed to look in the bag, the employee proceeded to ask for it, my friend confused and high gave it to the employee, the employee took out the bubbler and my friend was arrested. Does the employee have the right to search the bag, its not a school or facuility its an off campus dorm so do they really have any legal authority. LAst thing, no ones bags are really searched, my friend is black and it was obviously one of the reasons he was searched. Can anyone here give my friend some legal advice, his attorney blows and is never around. thanks in advance

2. Ya they can't search his bag like that unless it was a cop with probable cause, and if you are high and smell, that qualifies. But if it was just an employee, he should have said fuck you and went into the elevator, they would have to get a search warrant after that to further there investigation.

3. too bad he willingly handed over his bag