Need just a little info, please.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by InvisibleMonkey, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Ok, so today was a pretty good day. I come home, about to start mowing my lawn when I spot something. A different, yet familiar plant. Female and about 4 inches tall.

So, here's what I need help with. I want to transplant it, so that it can grow properly and I can really maintain. I figure if it's already survived this long, I might as well see how much longer I can make it go.

How long do I need to wait before moving it? What's the safest way to do it without harming my plants? Just a little advice is all I'm lookin' fer. Thanks.

2. Are you sure it's marijuana? How do you know its female? it's only 4 inches tall and its the beginning of summer, it would not be flowering yet and should show no signs of sex.

If you want to move it do it as soon as possible, the taller it gets the harder it will be. Just dig up a big ball of dirt with it so not to disturb the roots and everything should be ok.

upload a picture of it. I'm curious to see if it actually is MJ. doubt it though

3. Ditto. Something doesnt sound right.

4. Believe it or not there are a lot of plants that look very similar to MJ
    That's probably it.

5. Especially when they're sprouts.

6. You mean it sounds like bullshit.

Most peoples grass is over 4" when they cut it. My grass is 2" tall, after I cut it.

He wants to know when and how to move the plant. Yet he knows how to tell sex in a 4" tall sprout.

7. There's no way he could know its female, maybe it was just a guess, or hoping really hard??

OP, you want to move it asap. Dig it up without damaging it. Gently remove the excess soil but don't try to remove the stuff actually stuck to the roots. Pot it up in good potting soil. Now you've got your plant.

btw this is confusing "What's the safest way to do it without harming my plants" ..why do you say "..without harming my plants" when previously you said you found just one plant and all the way up to this point you talked about "it"? :confused:

EDIT:
    far out man, ten posts in four years ..that's gotta be a record!!! ;)

8. Yeah, I registered here a long time ago.

I'm almost 100% CERTAIN it's an MJ plant. I may be new to growing, but I'm not an idiot. The alternating pattern of the nodes(?) up the stem and the slight skunk smell of the plant itself gives me the idea, without a doubt that it is MJ and not some impostor.

As to the sex of the plant, I'm only going on the simple idea that males supposedly have 5 points on a leaf whereas the female is supposed to have 7? I could be fooled, and since this is growing outdoors I'm pretty sure I won't be able to tell the sex until the fall when the plant starts to bud. Is that correct?

Anyways, thanks for the help guys here's the plant for you naysayers:

[​IMG]

9. Hard for me to tell if thats MJ or that breed of plant that looks almost a lot like it. Damn, that very well could be MJ, but its too young to tell sex. Amount of leaves doesnt tell you anything when it comes to sex.
    You will either see male, or female sex parts before budding.

10. Yeah, it's not the best picture since I only have a camera phone.

But thanks for clearing up the whole leaves thing. I'm still hoping for female though. And to my surprise there may be another plant growing around the same area as this on.

I got high hopes.

11. I agree it's probably MJ, I've found plants growing in my lawn before too

you won't know the sex until it flowers, so pot it up and look after it and with a bit of luck it'll be female. :hello:

12. Wow I really doubted that you would have a plant growing in your lawn but that pic looks just like it. Congrats take good care of it.

13. I would say thats MJ looks in pretty nice shape too.. like said before dig a hole about 8" diamerter around the plant and dig her up I would get a mix of 50/50 organic soil no ferts and perlite use an 8" diameter pot ( typically a 1.5-2 gallon pot) get a few cfls set up for her and read sum stickies. also the whole node and leaf thing has nothing to do with sexing it thats just a myth, that all depends on strains I haev some with 9 leaves WW n ICe ect.. n e ways if you keep it under the lights til it is a foot tall then I would switch to 12/12 to sex and flower. GL

14. Hey all, thanks for the help. The transplant was a success! Though the transfer stressed the hell out of my plant, it survived it's first week and is now well on its way to becoming a nice healthy plant.

I've decided to turn this into a hobby since I really enjoy the peace and tranquility that goes with looking after a plant. I've done a lot of research and have decided my grow medium and the technique that would be best for me. But it seems I have come to a little bump in the road. Fertilizer.

What works best for you guys?

15. Id like to see a new photo of it to make sure its MJ