Need ideas for a hydroponic apartment grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jbutler23, Nov 25, 2012.

1. I'm looking for any threads pertaining to this topic. I am new to the idea of hydroponics and looking to build a system on a very small scale. Like 1 or 2 plants. I've seen some fish tanks that may be a good starting point.

2. black 5 gallon buckets are your friend.
    cover it in reflective mylar to reduce heat issues.
    12 inch air stone, 4 watt air pump
    get Ph meter, TDS meter, and good "nutes" (I use advanced nutrients SensiA B)
    400 watt HPS at least
    exhaust fan with carbon filter (heta is your enemy)

Also look up RDWC

3. Not mine but could use a single tray version of this or go dwc

Attached Files:

4. Hydro in an apartment? You're asking for problems. Try a couple hempy buckets, it's passive hydro and has awesome results, no muss, no fuss, no FLOOD!!!

5. #6 greenbowlpacker, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    ^^ As long as your careful there should be no problems I did closet grows with dwc with no problems just make sure you buy good buckets that wont crack or leak. Hempy buckets are awesome one of my favorites and probably the safest for accidental spills or leaks. Also good for beginners cuz you cant overwater. I have a thread using hempy buckets with time release ferts so all you have to do is water and the nutes release on there own and wont over or under fertilize. Its only $20 for a bottle that can probably last you 40+ plants.

6. I was also hesitant at first but I figure if I have my bucket in a big plastic tray that can hold most of the water, in case of a flood. I do plan on going DWC because it seems to be a fairly simple setup. The only confusion I have with Hydroponics is when to add nutes.
    Is there only one certain solution to use in the different stages? e.g. Seedling, Veg, and Flower.
    How much space would ONE plant take up, roughly? I understand it varies from strain to strain, amount of light, etc. Just looking for a guesstimate to see if I can grow two plants in the tent.

This is the tent I plan on purchasing: Amazon.com: LEDwholesalers GYO1001 62-Inch x 36-Inch x 20-Inch Mylar Reflective Hydroponic Grow Tent: Patio, Lawn & Garden

7. That tent is a good deal and should work great. I think you are confusing hempy with ebb and flow or flood tables. Hempy works by cutting a drain hole 2in from the bottom of the bucket and filling it with perlite then you water just enough that a little water comes out the hole and is caught in a planter tray.

As for nutrients check the beginners section its really to much to explain here.

Heres a link for how to make a hempy bucket it can be any size from a red cup to 5 gallon bucket.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/810704-diy-hempy-bucket-system-*step-step*.html

For nutrients I really suggest these time release nutes for a beginner
    Amazon.com: Scotts 279010 Osmocote Multi- Purpose Plant Food Plus Jug, 4.5-Pound: Patio, Lawn & Garden

8. Lucas formula's the only thing I'd recommend for nutes, with the others, you get to pay for "Wo!, look at the pretty pictures!" and "our team of experts spent 10 lifetimes developing this formula we based off of Lucas formula from the '70's", General Hydroponics doesn't advertise because they have no need to.
    You can stuff 2 plants under a 400w hps on 16" centers in that tent no problem, just keep the on the short side, and don't plan on going in there after the 3rd week or so. Good Luck! and don't believe everything you read on the internet. Bonjour!

9. I have used the 3 part gh line for a few years even ran the lucas formula a few grows but now I prefer my own mix by letting the plants tell me what they need. The lucas formula works great but in my opinion each strain is can be different and some need more nutes some less.