Need Help With Wiring Please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Afroholic4RO20, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Hello, all!

This is my first time to GC and first time posting. I have a couple of general wiring questions, as I'm really worried about burning down my apartment complex, ruining multiple lives, not just my own.

I am trying to power two Chieftec fans (CHA8012BB) from an old computer for my stealth grow box. I might later put in a third, so I might possibly be trying to power three fans. The specs on the fans are as follows: DC 12V and .12A. I have read on the forums general answers to questions like this (using cell phone chargers and what not), but I was wondering if one of you could please give me specifics on what I would need or what I could buy (even if it is a phone charger).

Also, I was wondering if one of you could provide pictures of your wiring setup so I could try to emulate something that has worked before. Should I use wire caps or electric tape?

If I use a phone charger or something where I strip the wires, how do I wire multiple fans to just one thing (or is that possible)? Again, any pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. i have some pics in my sigs below if that helps any,

you basically find any old 12v adapter you have laying around, cut off the end and strip the wire to expose its copper or metal leads, then you do the same for ur fans, daisy chain all the same colored (red/black) cables together and tape up with electrical tape, plug into the wall and voila!!, trust me this is not very hard!!!!

be well and safe growing

Bp:cool:

3. The output on the adapter should be 12V? Is that correct? Nothing more (burn out the fan?) and nothing less (won't power the fan enough?). And can 1 12V charger power more than one fan safely?

4. yes the output should be 12v and at least 500mah

more will either burn the fan or make it spin faster than allowed and it will go bust.

i have hooked up to 9 12v dc fans to 1 single 12v adapter, it was rated at 900mah.

hope this helps

Bp:cool:

5. running 12v may be too noisy,you might want to get a universal AC adapter that has different voltages,that way you can control the fan speed with the voltage.

6. i find that 80mm fans tend to have a sorta whistle to them, as for my setup i use 120mm double ball bearing fans and those are super quiet, even at full blast.