Need help with topping

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by paperc07, Aug 23, 2013.

1. I have never topped before and I tried doing it on my own last night and I believe I did it wrong because instead of doing just the top I did it to alot of the plant is this bad and what will be the effects of it I am attaching a picture to show what I did

I thought you could do all the little nodes that were between the V.... not just the one at the top

also if I didn't affect the plant to bad can I go ahead and do the LST'ing where I tape it down with a piece of tape or tie it down?? or should I be waiting?

Attached Files:

2. In pic number 4 it looks to me like you already have 2 tops ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 paperc07, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    hmmm well I didn't top I only showed that picture because I think that's what I was suppose to top lol

but do you see what I did in the first 3 pics will I be ok?? I thought that was topping but then after doing more research I discovered that its the TOP of the plant hence the word topping so I feel like a dumbass, but hey gotta learn somehow?

4. The plant will survive.

5. Can I start bending my plants down they are about a ft tall and I didn't know what was the time frame on doing it. I just topped and now I believe I am suppose to LST and then Supercrop?

6. Yeah, you can tie her down. Just be gentle but if you do hear a crack, grab some tape and mend it if it didnt break off. Tape the branch enough so it heal, but not too tight so you can monitor progress. About 4-5 days you should be able to remove the tape. Supercropped!!! Another thing, on a softer shoot, you can squeeze and grind gently to bruise the shoot, thus, plant will send nutrients to heal and harden also forcing nutrients to the area increasing the bulk to that spot. There ya go, supercropped again!! :lol:

7. LST method is way better than topping.

8. Damn I'm going to do this ASAP and I'll post some pictures of before and after thanks guys

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. #9 paperc07, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    ok here are my pictures I didn't break or squeeze anything I just tied them down for now... do i need to do something or anything else?? and if not what is my next step (im assuming supercropping) and how long (1 week??)

Please let me know if you want closeups or anything and I will put up pictures immediately 

Attached Files:

Hey buddy as you can see above I went ahead and tied them down nothing snapped or cracked so I think I did it right. Now where do I start pinching or squeezing I have never done this but here it is highly recommended that is why im so anxious to start doing all this. I know you said on a softer shoot but does that mean all the softer shoots or just one towards the bottom? im a little confused 

11. Hey thats looking good! In a day or so the top area will be growing straight up again, then you want to bring it back down on start getting it to turn. Left or right, up to you. It will start growing in that direction. Once its gone around for a few days, you can start working on the shoots. Getting them to grow in a direction you want. Any softer shoot/branch, between the nodes and tops. Not so much on the leaf stems, more on the branches. Those are what you want to squeeze, just till you feel it getting softer. You really dont NEED to do this, its just another method. It does help bulk it up. Just begin gently, but firmly.

yeah I checked today and the top is already bending back up.

what do you mean by getting it to turn? and once my side growth does good in a few days do I need to bend it in the other direction and let the other side get light and fill out more? 

and what exactly do I pinch and I seen you said I don't NEED to but does it help increase yield... the only reason I am doing all this LST'ing and Supercropping is to get as much yield as I can and I like the fact of more buds growing and giving me more yield then just one or two

13. Lst is good for more sites. Supercropping just bulks the areas up. How you bent the top towards the side, you can manipulate it so that it can follow the pot top in a circle, if you want. The shoots will start growing up towards the light.

14. Another thing, LST is used for height management. Keeps them shorter and bushier in case you dont have much height space, also to get more light to the plant in whole.

15. #15 aPersonUponaHill, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

Yes but I think he should veg them for longer now, he might stress them too much.

Nevermind I didnt look down, okay. Well good luck OP, I hope it works. It very well could.

16. #16 paperc07, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah I'm just nervous because this is my first time doing all this and I'm going to post some new pics but how long do I let them bend for till the sides catch up to the top? And I don't mind giving it an extra week or two just to get more yield that's my main goalSent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. They will catch up. Just keep working the top around the pot, the shoots will grow. Maybe a week??

18. OK so I can keep taping off the top around the pot to make the other shoots get light OK thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Here is a picture update the sides are starting to stand up.

Do I keep rotating the plant around the pot?
    What is my next step? Supercropping?
    When should I start Suppercropping?

Attached Files:

20. Doing good. Take the top area and bend slightly to left or right, whatever direction you want it to grow. Also some if the new branches can be tied(twist ties work good) down so they can be positioned how you want them to grow. I replied to your PM also.