Need HELP with time management plus topping.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fm1776, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Ok here is the situation. I have two Lemon Skunk that are a couple of days short of three weeks old. They have both just hit their forth node. Pictures can be found on my grow journal (hyperlink is located at the bottom of my signature). I will be posting pictures taken today.

I'll be leaving for five days for the xmas holiday. I want to top my plants. I am considering topping now to get two colas. I am also considering waiting until the fifth node appears to get four colas.

Since I will need up to two to three weeks to determine sex after going 12/12 and I will have to wait at least two weeks after I top them before switching to 12/12, what day should I switch to 12/12 to make sure that I am here to get ride of any males before they polinate any females?

I also have an autoflowering feminized Fast Bud in the same grow that I will not top.

Lastly, so I am clear on topping. I will cut just above the second node? And, if I top the plant with four nodes or less I will get two main colas? Or, if I top when the plant has five or six nodes I will get four colas?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. Ok, I have figured that my space really wont support four colas if both Lemon Skunk are females. So I went ahead and topped both plants.

So my question is when do I switch 12/12. I will be gone for five days over xmas and I want to make sure that the males do not polinate my females.

By the way I have 3.5' of ceiling which leaves enough room for my lights not to burn the tops.

3. 5 days in flower is not long enough for a male to polinate yet.

4. I wouldn't risk it. Sometimes you don't see any balls, then boom it is full of them. As far as the actual pollination goes, I don't know. But i remove my males asap.
    Good luck with your grow!

5. For the moment I don't have any males. I am in vegetation. I topped my two Lemon Skunks today. I will need to leave for five days during xmas. My question is when should I switch to 12/12 to make sure my ladies dont get polinated whilst I am gone.

basically how long does it take once I switch to 12/12 before I have to worry about any possible males?

6. #6 grnthmbgert, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
    If you could get a pic, that would help alot. It depends on how big you wanna grow them, how much space you have for them, etc. 5 days prob wont hurt, you could go 12/12 on the day you leave for vaca, and when you get back you could possibly sex them. I only veg for 30 days under 24 hour light. Then when I go to 12/12 I usually sex in about 5-10 days. If the plants are "big enough" then start 12/12 after they are 4 weeks old and by the time you leave you will be a few weeks into flower, and will have already weeded out the males. good luck!

Edit: Also, the plant will double in size during the flowering period. So maybe start flowering sooner than later! Good Luck!