Need help with Statistics

Discussion in 'General' started by Hazy Ghost, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I'm taking AP stat this semester and I have summer work I need help with. I haven't learned any of this stuff yet so I am kind of lost. Any help is appreciated. Okay here are the questions:

There is a data set consisting of 33 whole number observations. Its five-number summary is (min,Q1,med,Q3,max) = (16,20,22,30,46)

1. How many observations are strictly less than 22 (answer should be a range of numbers)?

For this one I said 5-16, but I'm not too sure about it.

2. Is it possible that there is no observation equal to 20 (explain briefly)?

3. Test for outliers (showing your work). Are there any outliers?

I just need to know how to test for outliers. I know what they are.

4. Construct a modified boxplot.

5. Approximately where is the mean (not a specific number)? Briefly explain your reasoning.

6. What (specifically) does your boxplot tell you about the spread of the 33 observations in difference quartile ranges?

Please help guys. :confused:

2. That looks like some difficult shit.

Can't help ya. Sorry.

3. Do you not have any friends in the class?

Also, where's your book? That's your greatest resource.

4. It's summer work. School hasn't even started yet. I don't have my textbook and I tried looking this up online but couldn't find any help...

5. I know outliers are
    Min: Q1 - 1.5(Q3 - Q1)
    Max: Q3 + 1.5(Q3 - Q1)

Q1should be 25% of the observations and Q3 should be 75%

Sorry I don't remember too much about statistics but I know you would easliy find info about IQRs and modified boxplots online

6. [quote name='"Freshko"']Hey guys, I'm taking AP stat this semester and I have summer work I need help with. I haven't learned any of this stuff yet so I am kind of lost. Any help is appreciated. Okay here are the questions:

There is a data set consisting of 33 whole number observations. Its five-number summary is (min,Q1,med,Q3,max) = (16,20,22,30,46)

1. How many observations are strictly less than 22 (answer should be a range of numbers)?

For this one I said 5-16, but I'm not too sure about it.

2. Is it possible that there is no observation equal to 20 (explain briefly)?

3. Test for outliers (showing your work). Are there any outliers?

I just need to know how to test for outliers. I know what they are.

4. Construct a modified boxplot.

5. Approximately where is the mean (not a specific number)? Briefly explain your reasoning.

6. What (specifically) does your boxplot tell you about the spread of the 33 observations in difference quartile ranges?

Please help guys. :confused:[/quote]

1. If 22 is the med out of 33 numbers, then 22 should be the 17th number (16 above and 16 below, right in the middle). 16 would be your max, since you can have up to 16 numbers that aren't 22 underneath. Q1 is the 9th number (8 below, 24 above), so 10 would be your minimum since every number from 10-17 could be 22. So the answer is 10-16.

Fuck it I'm not doing the rest...