Need help with soil for my grow...is this kind any good?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by DJzChillin420, May 10, 2011.

1. I got a brand from my local greenhouse in 3.8 cubic foot bales. It's called Fafard Growing Mix 1P. Here is how it is described on the website:

• Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (80%), perlite, starter nutrients, wetting agent & Dolomitic limestone.
    • Bulk density: 9 to 12 lbs.
    • pH range: 5.5 to 6.5 after wetting.
    • Use for: Seeds, cuttings, bedding plants, hanging baskets, flowering plants, foliage, interiorscapes & plugs.
    I was going to use this soil and put also a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest in each of my 5 outside holes....mostly on the top. Does this sound ok??

Thanks....Im an outside Noob and will be guerilla growing Nothern Lights from Attitude

2. The guy at the greenhouse said it was the best they had for "tomatoes"

3. It wont hold a lot of water for very long in hotter climates. Ingredients are quality. Id suggest using ffof on the bottom, and plant ur clones/seedlings in the lighter mixture.
    Happy growing.

4. I would think that you would want the higher quality soil deeper where the roots would be. Just my $.02

5. Great advice. Should have thought of that myself. My thinking was on the top, it would fertilize for the first couple weeks while the roots weren't that long but I will definitely do as you two suggested to help hold moisture at the bottom. Not very hot in PA so should be ok as far as that goes. Thanks again.

6. So you've got sphagnum peat, perlite, dolomite lime, and some mystery amendments. Add lots of EWC, and come back when you know what exactly is meant by "starter nutrients". That phrase is a little to vague to make any further suggestions.

7. This might be a noob or stoner question, but what is "EWC"?:smoke:

8. Nevermind...I looked it up...Earth Worm...gotta love google

9. As long as it doesn't have any pre added fertilizer you should be ok.

And yeah i don't know why people don't use google. 90% of the time their questions are already answered somewhere on the net. Idk bout this one though, never heard of that soil, prolly the stores brand or local.

10. #11 imaB, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011

No mmj laws in pa? Bummer.
    My thoughts about your soil mix is that the ffof has a high nutrient content, usually detrimental to seedlings/clones. As the plants grow and can handle higher doses, their root systems will have grown into that area of the soil mix. Just some info I learned on gc.