Need help with scrog.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NoBody99X, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Even though canopy size plays a part canopy management is more vital to a longer yield.

With that in mind I don't think that canopy yielded 1.25 especially with that LED

2. I actually don't consider the grow completely successful. Because I'm knowingly growing too many plants so that I can try lots of strains, there were some problems. A few weeks before harvest, the leaves suffered from gold spots due to nute burn that was exacerbated by the LEDs being too close, so I had to harvest before I really wanted to, and the quality suffered some. My belief is that these problems were worsened by having too much vegetation is too small a volume, and I'll try to keep the plants smaller next time, and hope for a smaller, but higher quality yield.

I decided to risk experimenting with several things that go against the accepted wisdom. I didn't use the bloom foods that I believe give plants P poisoning, but instead used the ratio Micro=2 or 3, Grow=1, Bloom=1, CaMg=0.8. Nor did I flush before harvest, which I believe harms the plants. Not over-feeding eliminates the need.

Also, I used the VPD chart, which I'm now a big believer in. It calls for humidity in the 70s when using temps in the 80s F, and I continued with high humidity thru harvest. I've seen lots of fears of bud rot posted, but very few cases of bud rot for indoor hydro.

I'm not an experienced grower (3rd grow in progress, 2nd autos), but believe that I've found the easy, less error prone method I was hoping for: Autofems, LEDs, half strength 4-part nutes without extra bloom food, no pruning/topping (except dead leaves), scrog, indoor hydro, VPD chart, and no final flush. The temp, humidity, fluid level, ppm, and pH checks are a pain tho, but go fast.

3. My humidity stays in high 60's low 70's on avg and temps in the mid 80's (during half the year that is) I get a lot of shit for it but I have a lot of airflow so molds never really been an issue for me so I don't see no need to really worry... if that were the case my last harvest would of been ruined as there were weeks where it stayed at 80%+ and the plants would go a solid 8-9 days without needing water (no signs of overwatering or anything like that)but they were still healthy and grew just fine. they still both gave me more than I could of hoped for and it was strong... this grow I'm doing now is going on track to do a hell of a lot better than the last one..

4. That's not even a scrog bro. This is a scrog. There's no way you pulled that much weight. Can't bullshit people who actually scrog homie. 5bedd74a1dfe7164a83a66a0cd3b906e_zpsr7ihmrsw.jpg 1 plant in a 2x4 screen

• Like Like x 2
  5. Looks nice... I plan on scrogging my 4x2 area next grow.

6. If you look carefully at my picture on the previous page, you'll see that what I've really got is a triple or quadruple scrog. The plants blew right through the first scrog that was about 2 ft. I was expecting auto growth to slow down, so I didn't install a second horizontal scrog. The growth kept coming, so I was forced to install some diagonal screens to keep the plants away from the lights.

That produced a U-shaped canopy with much more surface area than 9 sq ft. 20 oz yield isn't that much for hydro, especially when you look at the volume of the vegetation. A Samsara Supersonic Crystal Storm produced 8 oz, WorldOfSeeds SugarMangoRyder about 5 oz, DutchPassion StarRyder 3 oz, FastBuds GreenCrack 3 oz, and an unhealthy Delicious CriticalNevilleHaze about 1 oz.

The benefit to effort ratio for making all of this stuff up is pretty small.

7. #27 killset, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Your space limitations and plant size makes your story unbelievable bro. The evidence just isn't there. Sorry man but that's just not a 1.25lb grow. Any experienced grower could see that. That's a monster yield for such a small light even in the hands of an expert grower with a real scrog set up it would be difficult in that space with that light. The evidence to support your claim just isn't there. It doesn't add up.

No matter how many screens you have that is still not a scrog. Just support netting, not a scrog by any means. As scraggly and uneven as they are a support net is probably just what they needed. All that mess under the screen there had to be a ton of larfy popcorn.

8. How do you water in scrog isn't it hard to get to plants

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. It can be depending on the layout of your grow but with good planning it isnt. I use sub irrigated planters and a garden sprayer. Super easy

• Like Like x 1
  10. The evidence is there, because I presented it, but you rejected it, which amounts to questioning my honesty for reasons I don't comprehend. I was up front about much of the yield being popcorn, but underneath the canopy surface were lots of tucked big colas, and closely packed branches.

I was also up front about having made several mistakes, without which, the yield would've been greater.

The volume beneath the original 2 ft high metal scrog (some people use as little height as 10 inches) was incapable of containing and holding back the growth, and I couldn't tuck anymore under it, so I had to let the plants get out of hand. I was expecting the colas to stick up a couple more feet thru the scrog only, which would've produced 4 ft tall scrogged autos, and had to reluctantly add those other awkward metal screens just to keep the plants out of the lights. I possess no special growing skills, other than the ability to question and avoid needless procedures, and the risk tolerance to try new things.

I believe the most important reason for the good yield was following the VPD chart guidelines, while using temps in the mid-upper 80s and humidities in the 70s, and ignoring the unlikely possibility of bud rot. I'll be dialing temps back a bit this time to reduce foliage, and hope for a smaller yield of better quality stuff.

I've posted this several times before elsewhere, but I like the VPD chart so much, here it is again:
    [​IMG]

11. #31 killset, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    I just call tgem as I see them and I don't believe you bro. It's b.s. man. To be honest with you it looks like a rookies grow that got out of hand. I would be very disappointed with a mess like that. Plus it's still not a scrog. All you did was use a net to handle an over grown mess and keep it out of the light which is exactly what you have. Sorry bro I'm just an honest guy. When I see things that don't add up I call it....and I'm calling it. For a giant yield like that in a small space, small light and what looks like a terrible attempt at a "scrog" just isn't believable no matter what charts you show. I just plain and simply do not believe you. Maybe you did what most new growers do and weigh big sticks and bad trim jobs or something but that's just not a 1.25 finished product grow. The evidence just isn't there to back your claim. You would have to have 1 he'll of a nice looking grow and that's not it ...sorry man .good day bro

12. the real question you need to ask yourself is how you'll get rid of the runoff lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yes my first auto grow got out of hand, but I wasn't expecting such rapid growth with autos. And yes, I was very disappointed with the mess, even though it led to a large yield.

There was a true scrog that had as much vegetation tucked under it as possible. The scrog screen is a horizontal metal mesh plane, 2 ft above the pots, which can't be seen because it's hidden by vegetation. I usually install a second horizontal screen if growth gets out of hand, but I kept expecting the autos' growth to stop, and so did nothing this time. By the time I realized this error, it was too late.

We all agree that the metal screens you can see aren't scrogs. Their bases sit on that 2 ft scrog that's near the orange funnel that's next to the yard stick in my picture.

14. hi guys, i also need help with scrog. well, a question. im placing them back under the scrog the wete in. had to take them out for a bit. anyway when i flip to 12/12 im told there will be stretch. do i keep tucking during this time or let them stay where they are and stretch above the screen? thanks

15. many people throw a net over the canopy and call it scrogging. There is more to it than that. Also, I don't think I am wrong when I say scroggong IS a form of LST. So when it is said that LST is better for autos than a scrog, I am confused. Please let me know if I am wrong on the above points.

16. you are correct scrog is a form of lst. any time that you stress a plant it is lst or hst. hst is when you cause damage to the plant and it causes a high level of stress. lst is anything else that just causes the plant to work a little harder but no damage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thanks Yoda.

18. That's to many plants in a small place to do a scrog. This is no scrog grow at all it's a failed attempt. It looks like you put a net in and didn't tuck at all, just let it grow threw. I see no horizontal groth. Next time do two maybe three in this space and keep tucking new groth under don't let lt grow through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yes, I purposely grew too many autos in that small space, wanting to try several different strains, and hoping for the best. I'm trying to discover several strains I like, and then grow them in smaller numbers in the future. But I don't want it to be a 5 year project.

Scrogging isn't rocket science. I tucked everything under that I could. There's nearly solid plant matter under the screen that you can't see. I'm willing to accept (and probably deserve) criticism, but not the criticism that it's not a scrog. My previous scrog with photoperiods was fine, and yes I tucked a lot under the metal screen, but they didn't get nearly as big as these renegade autos. As a reminder, those diagonal metal screens aren't part of the scrog, just my attempt to force the plants away from the light.

The best explanation for this overgrowth is that the grow methods I employed made those autos grow about twice as tall as I expected, or the breeder claimed. If that hadn't happened, I would've had a normal grow.

20. Ok I thought the diagonal metal screen was your Scrog. Sorry if your getting a lot of criticism in this attempt but your asking for help in the op. You should have known a scrog would give you all this trouble with the space and amount of plants. Sounds like you don't want help because you insist you know what your doing. So why ask for help if you do. Get a bigger tent and more light and you won't have any more failed scrog. Sorry if I insulted you wasn't my intention. Next round I wish you luck.
    Peace ✌️