need help with ph issue

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by mickey7171, Sep 18, 2018.

1. im currently growing two master kush plants by dutch passion in coco perlite mix.
    - 5 gallon smart pots
    - 4x4x6 tent
    -1200w vipraspectra reflector series
    - soul synthetics nutes at half strenth
    - feed/water every morning
    - ph to 5.8-5.95
    - scrog set up
    - currently at day 3 of week 6 of flower

i check my run off daily after each feed/watering. i catch the run off directly from the bottom of the pots in a cup from the same spot on the pots (back left). my run off typically reads between 5.6-6.2 and a ppm of 600-1100. today i fed/watered an extra 2 gallons to make sure that the coco stays completely saturated. i usually do this 2 times a week. today i checked the run off from the middle of the pot and my ph was 4.75!!! and my ppm was 3500!! so i ran another 4 gallons of water phed to 8 through to flush out the salts and get the ph up. the salts came down to 800 ppm but the ph didnt budge still at 4.8. but when i check the ph in the back left it shows 5.9. just hoping some one has any insight into what the hell is going on?? any tips would br great thanks. also the blants look perfectly healthy and developing flowers nicely. no leaf symptoms what so ever!!

thanks in advance for any advice

2. Any pics? I see a few problems with your setup and procedure right off the bat, but some pics would also be helpful. Too many new growers treat coco like soil, it’s hydro

3. i don't believe i am treating it like soil at all, i dont let it dry out i water daily sometimes twice a day to keep it saturated. i understand its hydro lol. just need some insight in my ph issue. if its even an issue. here are some pics sorry for the lighting. i had to use a flash light cause theres no good light in that room other then the led grow light IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1628.JPG IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1630.JPG

4. sorry still getting the hang of the forum. but i replied in my thread and posted some pics if you want to check them out

5. Gorgeous plants bro. I read that you fed them twice a week in the original post but I think you meant you give them some extra twice a week now that you said you water everyday. I misunderstood. But I see a lot of guys trying to grow in coco and treating it like soil.

I have never come across a ph drop like that in any of my grows. I do occasionally have the super high ppm (1500-2000) and need a flush once in awhile, but the ph problem you describe usually happens in peat.

Maybe mix in a tablespoon of the finest powdered lime you can find per gallon of water, ph’d to 8.5, and run like 5 gallons through. I’d mix a 1/4 strength nutes into the flush too with some calmag so you don’t ruin the cations

6. Thanks man and that’s why I am kinda freaked out about the ph. And yeah I give extra water a couple times a week. What really has me confused is depending where I take the water sample from I get different phs. The back of the pot I am perfect at like 5.8-5-9. From of the pot I was around 5.5 and middle of the pot down to 4.7-5. And the pmms were all different. Too. I am
    Guessing I am getting uneven drainage maybe?? But that still doesn’t explain the super low ph in the middle I suppose I’ll run my feed in the morning with roots organic elemetel it’s mainly lime and a high cal mag with very little nitrogen

7. Try catching all the runoff together and measuring it. I bet it’s not as bad as you think. I think your plants would be looking pretty shitty if the ph was that low across the entire root zone.

Some hydroguard might be a good addition in case you have a small area of root rot setting in, but again, with coco I’ve never had that happen. It drains to well

8. Yeah I don’t think it’s root rot. And like you said my plants would be be looking terrible if it’s been going on for long. Just want to catch it and stop it early if I am have some type of an issue be for it becomes a problem. Just gonna keep a close eye on it and ph my water a little higher then normal for a bit

9. Try ph ing after you collect entire runoff next feed and tag me. I’m interested now

10. All the run off collects in the tub that you can see in the last pic. And then I suck it out with a shop vac. And I did test it. And it was 5.5-5.6 and 1300 ppm is I remember correctly

11. Well that’s great then. Is that just for the one plant in question? Or the whole room? How big is the room

12. It’s for both plants in the room. The other one was showing the same thing. Different phs at different spots. But it was as bad. The lowest I saw from the other plant was 5.2 I believe. But it’s a 4x4 tent with 2 plants in a 3’ 5” scrog net

• Like Like x 1
  13. I bet you’re fine man. I always check the entire runoff of a plant, and it sounds like you are in the zone with that.

We have similar styles and setups bud. Here’s a pic of a 28” x 36” single plant scrog in supersoil

D9246BD1-4454-4957-945D-08384F870D03.jpeg D370DA6B-23A1-4B73-B6D4-1CEC6C925372.jpeg

And a pic of my 4x4 perpetual DTW table with one 5 weeks into flower and one monster I just added in front

D0D37A93-935E-4875-8AF8-67A1E39679BE.jpeg 2A4DB7FE-BC6B-4D3B-849F-9D4EA54AB1A9.jpeg

14. Yeah I hope so! I have read a lot of people saying that testing run off from coco is useless but never say why it’s useless. I don’t really buy it lol. Think I am just gonna hit them in the Morning with a couple gallons each of the elemental moss no nutes. Ph to 8 or so and let it rip. See what happens. And yeah dude that plant is looking really good!! What strain is it?

15. Elemental mix not moss lol

16. That single plant on the table is a Rainmaker from Ethos Genetics. I LOVE this strain. I did 18 ounces from 6 plants in HALF my 4x4 two runs ago. I vegged these two through the next cycle (2 and 3 months each) to see what a longer veg provides.

The scrog is another Orange Skunk. I’m trying for 2 grams per watt here with 240 watts of qb120’s overhead.

Here’s the finishing pics of last run. I did SOG perpetual with 6 Rainmaker in one half and (3) GG4XWW, (2) Orange Skunk, and a Black DOG.

50B3CCC5-394D-4628-A20C-84B6E961B649.jpeg F3DD2D11-C3BD-4C4A-9F0C-6CC9A686AC1E.jpeg E4AA7BF7-937F-4AA2-BF13-C11ED89E7517.jpeg

17. Those are some fatty colas bro!! This is my second scrog run and the first one was with some free white widow seeds that I think weren’t very good. Got 8 oz in a 2x2 scrog. Hoping to get 20 ounces on this run. But well see

• Like Like x 1
  18. Genetics and lights are the most important to solid grows. Check out Ethos stuff if you’re looking for seeds. They can be found here www.seedsherenow.com

This is my first scrog run. I like to be able to move my ladies and trim, train, and defoliate. I overvegged that plant and didn’t have room on my table so I made a scrog, potted her in a concrete mixing tub, and bought the supplies to make a qb120 light.

19. I have been getting good seeds from seedsupreme.com but will def check out ethos. Haven’t decided what I want to grow next. Not sure how I feel about my light so far third run with it. The first one was nice dense nugs last run was fluffy. But I think the genetics were kinda low end. So we will see how these master kush turn out. I have only heard great things about Dutch passion

• Like Like x 1
  20. We
    went ahead and ordered some ethos seeds. Hope they work out as good as yours did!

• Like Like x 1