Need help with my hps right now!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mesmokinbuddha, Dec 6, 2008.

1. im pissed right now..i just picked up a 150w hps bulb and it isnt working..so is there some kind of special bracket or sumthin that im missing?? the lamp i tested it in can hold 660w so thats not the issue..whats the problem??

2. May be a stupid question, but you are using an HPS ballast right?

3. hahaha see whats that?? this is my first grow with an hps

4. HPS bulbs typically will not fit into a regular light fixture. You need a special fixture and a ballast to run one.

There are exceptions to this. I have recently learned of some HPS bulbs that fit a standard medium base. Can you tell me the brand and model of your bulb? I may be able to tell you if it needs a ballast or not.

5. shoot well im lookin at the box now and it says "operate with compatible ballast and fixture only" ha i wish i could have seen that earlier..how much do these ballasts run at a hardware store? and do you think lowes would have it? or should i go to home depot?

6. Lowes usually has a better lighting department then home depot, but I am not too sure they are going to carry a 150W HPS fixture (maybe a security light or something). You can try, but you may need to order one online. I will tell you that 150W is going to grow 1, maybe 2 plants. So if you plan on growing more than that, then you should look online for a higher wattage setup. eBay typically has some decent cheap setups. 250 or 400 watts are great for pretty small grows.

Good luck.

7. i have the medium base and it fits in.. but it wont turn on..so i dont know about other types of bulbs

8. You need a ballast, and you won't find one locally more than likely.