Need Help With My Hempy Bucket Northern Lights!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DownShift, Feb 16, 2010.

1. #1 DownShift, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    Hello GC,

I've been very busy lately and my plant has suffered some pretty severe neglect because of it.:eek: I had a PH problem that I just recently corrected, but my plant isn't springing back yet. This plant sprouted on Dec. 23rd so you can see that it's stunted.
    [​IMG]
    The PH was at about 7.5-8, but I corrected it to about 5.5 to 6 about a week ago. I'm pretty sure that part of the problem is nutrient lockout because of the PH problem. I started off using Foxfarm growbig as my fertilizer but I've just recently read that you can't use soil nutrients with Hempy buckets, so I switched to General Hydroponics FloraGro when I corrected the PH problem. I am feeding it 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

The plant still hasn't made much of a sign of recovery and it's been about a week since I fixed the PH problem and switched nutes.

I think that I'm either over or under watering it. I water it on Wednesday and feed it on Saturday. I was watering it almost every day, but I felt that I might be overwatering it so I cut back.

After reading about Hempy buckets a little more I think that I might be underwatering it now, as it seems you can't possibly overwater a hempy. It just drains out the hole and creates a 2 inch reservoir. So I watered it today and am waiting to see if it shows any signs of recovery. I'm going to keep the rez topped off for the next couple of days.

Do you guys think that I'm on the right track?
    [​IMG]
    Pic 3 is my grow box. It's 12" deep x 18" wide x 24" tall, with 100 watts of CFL. Temps are at 77 and humidity is at 26%.
    [​IMG]

2. Here's a couple more pics to help with size reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's being grown in a 1 gallon water jug with the top cut off. I duct taped over the jug to block light from reaching the roots.

Anyone have any experience with Hempys? Any opinion on if I am over or under watering it? What about over or under feeding it?

3. Well, after watering it and then leaving it overnight it is looking better, so I believe that I was underwatering it. I'm thinking that the roots probably hadn't hit the reservoir yet when I cut back the watering to every couple of days, and with pure perlite there is no moisture in the medium until the roots hit the rez. I was thinking along the lines of a soil grow where most newbies overwater it, but Hempys are different and come with a whole new set of challenges.

here is a pic I took a few minutes ago.

[​IMG]

As you can see a lot of the leaves perked up overnight, so this is a good sign. Since I watered/fed it yesterday, I am starting to notice a yellowing and some brown tips around the outside edges of all the newer leaves. Initially these were droopy but before yesterday they had no yellowing, only the older leaves lower on the plant had yellowing. Could this be nute burn?
    I am using GH floragro at 1/2 tsp per gallon.

You can see the yellowing/brown tips I am talking about in this pic:
    [​IMG]

Should I reduce the strength of my nutes?

Do you guys think I should trim the brown/dead parts off of all of the leaves or should I just let them be how they are? :confused:

4. Looks a lot like nute burn. Less nutes for a bit.

5. Yeah i'm going to reduce the strength of the nutes and see if that helps.

Anyone else?