Need help with my grow room design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by provin1327, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Well first off I looked at the grow box design sticky, and the links are busted.Ok well now that I have my own place, im gonna start to grow, just one plant at a time though. So I devided my plan like this. I have 2 fans, and a computer power supply. Well really I only have one fan, because the power supply has one on it. I plug in the power supply and switch the fan around so that its blowing. Then I plug a small computer fan into that and mount it on the top of my grow box, and have it sucking, then I have a hole in each side of my box. Heres a drawing.

[​IMG]

First I was wondering what to use as a box, and should I mount a flat carbon filter above the fan? Or does anyone have a link to a good fan thats good for growing. The fans are 80 mm comp fans. My lights I was thinking 2 small tube lights that were 40 watts a piece, or, I have a 80 watt floro bulb thats in a light for a snake cage, it works good, but im not sure where to mount it either, cut a hole and maby hang it so that it fits good and is light tight.

2. 12 views and not one reply?

3. Congrats on the decision to grow!

There are a few reasons you may not have seen a reply - not sure. I can say the FIRST thing I noticed is your decision to only grow a single plant. This could easily be a nightmare because you very likely will encounter a male plant. If you are only growing a single plant you could easily spend 8 weeks of effort, time and nutes only to rip the plant up and throw it in the trash.

Another thing I wasn't clear on, you asked what type of box you should use - yet you mentioned fans pulling into a box, etc - as though you already had one. But to answer your question - get a box that is big enough. <shrug> You also didnt mention whether this needs to be a stealth setup or you can just have a huge box in your living room without a problem. That makes a HUGE difference in what type of box to use.

It also appears that your box design is rather, well, odd. Perhaps it's just the graphics used, not sure... example: your carbon filter is going to mount on the top of your box? If so where is it getting air? Where is the exhaust air going (hopefully out of the room itself otherwise you'll have a serious heat problem).

So perhaps you can re-think and re-write your questions. If this is a box for a single plant you could use a shoe box depending on plant strain and stealth needs.

-Slyp

4. ok. Yea it needs to be stealth, im not with my parents but I stil want it to be stealth. It doesn't matter if its a male plant or female, if it is male, its ok, I will have spent all that work studying the plant and how it grew, its probably better the first one is male. Forget the carbon filter idea, idk what I was thinking, but I need to solve a problem with smell and heat. Could I grow in a shoe box? I know how to ScrOG grow, but I didn't know you could do it in a shoe box. It's just going to be a bag seed, and ill germinate it in the paper towels and tupperware container. I have all my supplies, fans, light (80 watt fluoro) but im not sure what exactly to grow in. The drawing was just what I thought it would look like.

5. if you already have the fans, then use em, but i wouldnt. I get some 5-10 dollar fans at wal-mart. They move alot more air. Is it posible to place you intake low, prefably near an ac vent? and your exit fan should be at the top(where the heat is). you wont have a large amount of smell from one plant, so im not sure youll need to worry about that much. just place an purifier in the room next to your box. that should be fine. GL

6. new idea here. Ok I was thinking like this because Slypknow said somthing about a shoe box. Heres some pics. Its only one plant and I can do ScrOG. I dont have the fans in there yet, but I was thinking of putting the exhaust fan right below and next to the light, and the intake fan at the bottom on the opposide side of the exhaust fan

the actual box, it will be taped together, its just not now
    [​IMG]
    the light, its got a 80 watt flouro in it
    [​IMG]

the box where the plant will be along with the 2 fans on the sides
    [​IMG]
    and this is it lit up
    [​IMG]

7. Ha! Wow! Good work on the shoe box design... I was actually being somewhat silly when I said that but in fact, it would work.

Now here is where you'll run into issues : If this is bag seed it very well might need more grow space, but for your first run and to get ya feelin more confident go ahead with what you have cause it will work. This is especially true if you're growing using soil instead of hydro.

I wouldnt worry about heat that much since you're not runnin a hot lamp but air flow is a must. Not only to help get CO2 and oxygen to the plant but also to help it get a nice strong base, which wind is required. The walmart fan idea isnt bad, or even a computer fan as long as you have something moving the air through the box.

The other thing you'll need to do is buy some white spray paint and paint the inside of the box. This will help with reflecting the little light that you have.

Nothing tops experience and so far mine has been solely around growing tomato plants. I've gone through 3 boxes and am now settling on one that I made out of PVC pipe (much easier, can be taken apart quickly, etc). But all experiments were somewhat successful and I learned a ton about hydro/soil differences, space requirements, etc.
    So go for it! Worse thing that will happen is you'll over-water... :)

-Slyp